Why do some people keep saying Thailand is a very conservative country when it comes to skimpy outfits ?

Chanthea

As a woman you probably haven't strayed far from the tourist areas, but if you were to take a trip up country you would find that women dress much more conservatively, although sometimes still with a western influence, In the village where I live, for example  there are a couple of ugly  lesbians who dress in "bib and braces" and doc marten boots.

In the tourist areas women are more inclined to dress provocatively   generally to attract sexual interest in men , and produce hard flesh that  they can hopefully convert into hard cash, its not that hard to understand , that when back in the "real Thailand " more conservative dress sense is required    Do you really think the entire female population dresses like bar girls ???

On 3/12/2023 at 1:13 PM, zzaa09 said:

Never witnessed the local girls at the morning markets and numerous other instances, have ya?

Much more commonplace [braless] than not. 

Guess that might depend on one's general exposure and experience. 

Blanket statements based on personal limitations and the expected stereotypes are to be expected.

Still in their oversized sleeping dress. My experience outside tourist infested areas and larger cities, they become more modest than the pope even after years dancing naked around poles.

• Like 1

I found most women I met and most I see to dress very conservatively. 

Most women don't talk to their friends or coworkers or mom or sister about sex.   No can't!

Most don't wear swimsuits unless a western man is pushing them.  They do avoid the sun like no other.  Thai women can dress and undress under a towel better than any. I think I have seen a change to more Thai women wearing western fashions  , in 2023 vs 2016, which show more skin .  No kissing or PDA allowed in public.   I have read holding hands was taboo just 30 years ago even for married couples.   

Just look at all the fashions in advertising and how the Facebook and IG stars dress.   It is rubbing off.  One gal I dated had big UNs but she wore these super small , tight bras that hid them.   She was a teacher.   One night in BKK at my urging she got brave and wore a more complimentary bra and low cut blouse and I couldn't believe the head turns she got from Thai guys mostly.   If I was a woman I would not like that.  Very conservative until the door closes.   For you newbies plan to get them in private ASAP and a kiss may ignite the fireworks unless you have a dud. 

Another thing I've heard from several women is if they dress sexy they invite a man to assault them and it would be their fault.   This goes for outdoor in public sex.   Very conservative in this regard. 

Edited by Elkski

11 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thats a fascinating piece of history, thats for sharing

I read in a history book on Thailand that when King Chululangkorn went to Europe he noticed that all women wore blouses etc., they weren't topless, and this prompted a decree that women should cover up their breasts.

In fact several things he noticed in Europe prompted him to introduce the same at home in Thailand like: railways, education and bread. He apparently ate some bread in Europe and liked it and back at home, so the story goes, he asked his chefs to make it from his description. His chefs apparently thought it was a type of cake so a lot of sugar added, which is why the bread you can buy in some older style Thai bakeries is quite sweet, so the story goes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I read in a history book on Thailand that when King Chululangkorn went to Europe he noticed that all women wore blouses etc., they weren't topless, and this prompted a decree that women should cover up their breasts.

In fact several things he noticed in Europe prompted him to introduce the same at home in Thailand like: railways, education and bread. He apparently ate some bread in Europe and liked it and back at home, so the story goes, he asked his chefs to make it from his description. His chefs apparently thought it was a type of cake so a lot of sugar added, which is why the bread you can buy in some older style Thai bakeries is quite sweet, so the story goes.  

so where does the green bread in 7/11 hail from?  probably better not to know

Young ladies wearing skimpy shorts in my observation has become a bit more commonplace but it’s def a late teen to 20s thing, can’t say I see many 30+ rocking these outfits

Unlike what I see in Australia now with young and often very overweight girls wearing very tight and revealing gear such a turn off

As a former teacher, I've seen a billion kids do some weird dancing either in class or outside.   Most are trying to copy something on Tik Tok or Youtube, and none of it is conservative.  Sure, their parents will make them go to temple dressed properly; however, the youths of Thailand (20's and younger) aren't very conservative.  Pretty normal, actually.

On the other hand, I bet Thailand has more 30 to 40 year old virgins than most Western countries.    Extreme here.  totally conservative...............................or...................................................Pattaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2023 at 6:56 AM, In the jungle said:

I take it you have not been to Bangkok recently.

Midriffs are having a bit of a moment there right now.

Well then, I expect that will be the fashion here in the U.S. of A.  this summer. 

One thing I noticed years ago, as I usually went Thailand from February to April.   Whatever fashion fad was current in Thailand that year, was also what was the fashion fad in the U.S. of A.  in the summer.

On beaches popular with Thai people, you don't see girls in bikinis. Girls even place rubber patches on the tip of their breasts so that nipples don't show through the shirt. I was told if nipples protrude they could get fined. 

In the West women can, and often do walk half naked, but you can get convincted for rape just for gazing. Which is better?

On 3/12/2023 at 1:56 PM, Chanthea said:

at least in big cities such as Bangkok, Pattaya, etc.

In Pattaya I'm surprised they wear much at all.

2 big cities are not really representative of the whole country. Pattaya to Thailand is a bit like Las Vegas to America.

In the provinces women are more covered up.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Oh Yaya.  A dream woman.  So innocent looking.  I hope we see more gals with nice fit mid drifts showing them off.  I don't believe Thai fashion precedes the US.  

Ya Ya is very pretty girl. But sometimes it's nice to have a little more above the midriff to set the latter off.

(Kim Se Jeong Korean model)

image.jpeg.34a0d27860c8dfd12e195cccd32dd808.jpeg

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’d say this, I live in a beach town south of France half the year, and the local gals would never ever wear the skimpy outfits, cling clothes, that the girls often wear here !!! It’s considered very * common*.

Yes on the beach, tiny bikinis , but not the stuff many girls here wear here evenings. Look at some of the shops what they sell!!! 

27 minutes ago, geisha said:

I’d say this, I live in a beach town south of France half the year, and the local gals would never ever wear the skimpy outfits, cling clothes, that the girls often wear here !!! It’s considered very * common*.

Yes on the beach, tiny bikinis , but not the stuff many girls here wear here evenings. Look at some of the shops what they sell!!! 

Where do you see Thai girls dressed in skimpy clothes ?

Is it in locations where the girls are selling themselves ?

On 3/14/2023 at 4:56 AM, keysersoze276 said:

I read this post at the perfect time!  I am a little outside od BKK where there are no “ladies of the night”. Two super slim Thai hotties wearing those tiny shorts. Their bodies looked perfect for my taste, and they looked young but old enough. Unfortunately, they were both wearing thos goddamn MASKS!  Definitely not trying to hit on presumably legal aged teens with masks on because…I can only presume. My guestimate- between 18-20. Reality, could have been much older or even worse younger. Stop withe th masks, already!

p.s.  i used to agree that everyone wears mask. Like 3 years ago. Why are they still wearing them?  

Perhaps because they think it will stop farangs looking at them.

21 hours ago, Denim said:

In Pattaya I'm surprised they wear much at all.

2 big cities are not really representative of the whole country. Pattaya to Thailand is a bit like Las Vegas to America.

In the provinces women are more covered up.

They cover up to stop getting tanned, IMO. I never did get over women wearing balaclavas in the heat.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:12 AM, Elkski said:

I have read holding hands was taboo just 30 years ago even for married couples.   

When I arrived in LOS, girls holding hands was common. Seemed to have stopped a while back though.

I did know that girls didn't like holding hands in public or having guys hands on their heads. Always an exception though- my first Thai GF liked to put my hand on her head in public, and my wife always held my hand in public.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They cover up to stop getting tanned, IMO. I never did get over women wearing balaclavas in the heat.

In many farming instances, it's head to toe. 

You might dress in this fashion being in the nasty seasonal sun all day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nah. I was a farm hand for two years and only wore shorts in summer.

I'm from a farm hand family in the Californian Central Valley.

Surprise Surprise everyone was Hispanic.

Everyone covered up head to toe, not a one ever had exposed skin.

I worked every school vacation and my Mom would never let me go in the fields without being fully covered up

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

maybe ladyboys, who like going braless. The only other exception is when they go out in the morning in pajamas

Yup. Ladyboys only braless in malls.

Morning markets, maybe. Ladies seem to wear pj's but with bras and visible undie lines. ????????

Edited by Lucky Bones