Will Thailand’s Long Term Resident Visa work for you?

webfact

On 3/13/2023 at 8:43 AM, sqwakvfr said:

If I made $80,000 in my pension Thailand would never be on my radar. 

Oh yeah, where would you go?  I make $80k in my pension and I don't qualify because I can't prove to the Thai government that my pension is real.  But I love the culture and people here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Oh yeah, where would you go?  I make $80k in my pension and I don't qualify because I can't prove to the Thai government that my pension is real.  But I love the culture and people here. 

Las Vegas, San Antonio, Manila.  My pension is from the California Pubic Employees Retirement Fund based out of Sacramento.  This agency has a unit just dedicated to verify retiree pensions and amounts.  So far I have discovered that only the Thai Embassy in DC and the consulate in Los Angeles will accept this kind of proof.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Las Vegas, San Antonio, Manila.  My pension is from the California Pubic Employees Retirement Fund based out of Sacramento.  This agency has a unit just dedicated to verify retiree pensions and amounts.  So far I have discovered that only the Thai Embassy in DC and the consulate in Los Angeles will accept this kind of proof.  

Not true if your in the country here. The LTR BOI unit accepted the CALPers letter of verification for my pension which I downloaded from the CALPers website after requesting it. That verification letter layed out when my defined benefit pension started and how much per month my pension was for. I uploaded my Health insurance from PCH, here in Thailand, as my CALPers HI plan, even though it is a lifetime plan, runs from January 1 to December 31st, and at the time would not cover the required 10 months. Since my PCH plan is always renewed in October that plan was fine.  Uploaded my photo and passport info and within 3 weeks my LTR-P was approved.  Pretty sure they gerufued the pension letter by contacting PERS as the letter says to do on the bottom if any questions need to be answered.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not true if your in the country here. The LTR BOI unit accepted the CALPers letter of verification for my pension which I downloaded from the CALPers website after requesting it. That verification letter layed out when my defined benefit pension started and how much per month my pension was for. I uploaded my Health insurance from PCH, here in Thailand, as my CALPers HI plan, even though it is a lifetime plan, runs from January 1 to December 31st, and at the time would not cover the required 10 months. Since my PCH plan is always renewed in October that plan was fine.  Uploaded my photo and passport info and within 3 weeks my LTR-P was approved.  Pretty sure they gerufued the pension letter by contacting PERS as the letter says to do on the bottom if any questions need to be answered.

Wow.  Thanks for letting me.  I never thought a governmental agency in Thailand would accept a letter from Pers.  OF course the US Embassy and Consulate will not.  That fact is amazing.

28 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Wow.  Thanks for letting me.  I never thought a governmental agency in Thailand would accept a letter from Pers.  OF course the US Embassy and Consulate will not.  That fact is amazing.

I used it in 2019 at the Los Angeles Consulate when I obtained my O-A visa as well as proof of income slong with the DOJ clearance and the medical certificate. I have never shown a bank account statement except when I needed it for the extension of stay and then I just needed the letter from Kbank as I had a 800k Fixed deposit savings.

I know that some of the folks have needed a Tax return since then, but I don't know if they had the letter I provided.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:29 PM, RichardColeman said:

They seem to be addressing every single visa variant possible, other than the one 99.99% of this forum want 

And that's what they do.

Nothing like ignoring or minimalizing the real and greater market - why don't they improve/upgrade the 99.99% firstly and then work on the very special variety that no one is pursuing. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 8:05 PM, wensiensheng said:

For those who prove to the satisfaction of the authorities that they are very wealthy and/or have a high income, why the need for insurance? They can clearly afford to pay for their medical expenses 

Not really, there is no way to know what those expenses could be. It could be a million or zero. With insurance they can set a bar to measure by. 

There is also no way of knowing if the funds will be there all year. Some people overspend and go bankrupt, others make more.

11 hours ago, K2938 said:

How did you manage to do this? 

I don't remember - I think after my visa was in my passport I went through and deleted everything I could.  I brought this up with my BOI Sherpa and I remember him telling me that they would do that as well.  When I just logged in there was no personal data to be seen, so I am pretty certain that external snooping directed towards me or other applicants is secure.  The real exposure is a system hack or the months between application and either granting or denying - during that time anyone who has access to your username/password has access to a lot of your personal data.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mudcat said:

I don't remember - I think after my visa was in my passport I went through and deleted everything I could.  I brought this up with my BOI Sherpa and I remember him telling me that they would do that as well.  When I just logged in there was no personal data to be seen, so I am pretty certain that external snooping directed towards me or other applicants is secure.  The real exposure is a system hack or the months between application and either granting or denying - during that time anyone who has access to your username/password has access to a lot of your personal data.

I don't think you can now after LTR approval.   I just tired removing/deleting some of my LTR docs....they would appear to be removed/deleted but once leaving he screen and coming back to it the docs that you thought got removed/deleted are back again.   

1 hour ago, mudcat said:

On what screen or tab?

Check Status, View, Step 4 Upload and then clicking Remove where allowed.   When clicking Remove the file disappears but when leaving the Step 4 Upload area and then coming back to it the file has reappeared.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Pib said:

Check Status, View, Step 4 Upload and then clicking Remove where allowed.   When clicking Remove the file disappears but when leaving the Step 4 Upload area and then coming back to it the file has reappeared.

I did notice that as well, must have been one of the later updates they did to ensure the information obtained was still there......for the 5 year review.  Waiting on the missus's paperwork to be reviewed now as a dependent after the fact.  They did not like that her last name was not the same and she has a Myanmar PJ passport, but what can you do when that's the cards you have been dealt in life.  They want a copy of her Myanmar National card and it's translation, which is being completed hopefully soon, as the US NVC wants it as well for her US Visa.....

22 hours ago, Gknrd said:

10-1,  90% of the applicants are retiree's. Thailand is not exactly the place to raise a family and work in.

Thailand will never attract talented educated workers period. 

And they've never gone out of their way to recruit talented/skilled/specialized foreign employees of any variable class. 

50 minutes ago, mudcat said:

My check status tab gives my application date, visa type and number, staff, and complete.  

Mine is exactly the same...status says Complete.   

Now, next to where it says Complete mine has two icons of Print and View.  When clicking View you can see your application....then Click Step 4 Upload....this is where all your upload/submitted docs are located.  Some docs will have a "Remove" icon next to them....if clicking Remove it "does" Remove them "until you leave the screen" and then go back into the Step 4 Upload area...then that previously removed doc(s) "has reappeared."  

On 3/13/2023 at 2:13 PM, ThailandRyan said:

This is a Visa issued by BOI and is not anything that Big Joke or the Chinese grey markets are involved in.  This is not a Thai Elite Visa and an agent or lawyer can not, I repeat can not walk your application through the door and into the BOI offices and then over to the immigration side to get the Visa stamped into it.  You must be confusing this visa class with another visa type/scheme as I stated above..  Your friend would have to appear himself for his photo with Immigration and to have the visa placed into his passport as well as paying the 50K Thb. Nothing a lawyer can do......not yet

image.png.469ce0e86e38ead01165b572ac56f969.png

You and Pib, seem to be the aseannow sales promoters of this LTR, BOI is a government department like the tourism/sports who own Elite and the immigration/police who out visa stickers in passports

It seens this present government is going out of it's way to push and promote this programnme before the elections

Because when a new government comes into power, it can eliminate bad policies and programmes from the previous government

Agents/Lawyers, online positive sales reps like you guys, agents/lawyers can and will help people as BOI is just another government agency under tbe control of any present government= fact

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, humbug said:

You and Pib, seem to be the aseannow sales promoters of this LTR, BOI is a government department like the tourism/sports who own Elite and the immigration/police who out visa stickers in passports

It seens this present government is going out of it's way to push and promote this programnme before the elections

Because when a new government comes into power, it can eliminate bad policies and programmes from the previous government

Agents/Lawyers, online positive sales reps like you guys, agents/lawyers can and will help people as BOI is just another government agency under tbe control of any present government= fact

Your confused. I am stating facts about how the LTR visa can not be obtained using an agent or lawyer, it must be applied for by the individual only at this point in time and can not be processed any other way than applying through the website.

You think it's a government scheme being done to assist the government currently in power and will be removed by the next government. In reality any Visa class could be. The LTR is a Visa Class much like the SMART Visa, and only issued through the BOI.  I am not a sales rep either.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your confused. I am stating facts about how the LTR visa can not be obtained using an agent or lawyer, it must be applied for by the individual only at this point in time and can not be processed any other way than applying through the website.

You think it's a government scheme being done to assist the government currently in power and will be removed by the next government. In reality any Visa class could be. The LTR is a Visa Class much like the SMART Visa, and only issued through the BOI.  I am not a sales rep either.

Well I am glad this visa it working for you guys........But you got to admit the interest in this visa is minimal.....Not many posts in this thread......

If there was not so much hoop jumping, high requirements and BS to get this visa, this thread would already be  north of 50 pages long........Everyone would love a 10 year visa...

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 2:49 PM, sqwakvfr said:

Interesting, OK, yeah, I didn't leave the USA because I couldn't afford it, I left because it'a an authoritarian cesspool of ignorance.  ????  So LV and San Antonio sound dreadful to me.  

Manila vs. Bangkok:  I don't know why anyone might prefer Manila, with its horrible traffic and pollution.  Oh, wait... LOL. ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Interesting, OK, yeah, I didn't leave the USA because I couldn't afford it, I left because it'a an authoritarian cesspool of ignorance.  ????  So LV and San Antonio sound dreadful to me.  

Manila vs. Bangkok:  I don't know why anyone might prefer Manila, with its horrible traffic and pollution.  Oh, wait... LOL. ???? 

Certainly none of these places are what many called  “paradise” but I have learned to always have a backup plan and a backup location.  In my case the main concern about life back in the US is the cost of health care and health insurance premiums(I dread the possibility of paying almost $800 per month for health insurance).  I prefer San Antonio because of my time in the USAF where I was stationed in Del Rio TX.  Del Rio certainly is a place I would prefer to forget. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Certainly none of these places are what many called  “paradise” but I have learned to always have a backup plan and a backup location.  In my case the main concern about life back in the US is the cost of health care and health insurance premiums(I dread the possibility of paying almost $800 per month for health insurance).  I prefer San Antonio because of my time in the USAF where I was stationed in Del Rio TX.  Del Rio certainly is a place I would prefer to forget. 

Interesting, thanks.  I'm still trying to figure out the place for me, so appreciate you sharing your ideas.