Advice sought on best small hatchbacks/cars

Toolong

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Check Honda website for Testdrive

I known dealers have a company policy and the brand having a company policy and if there is an conflict the dealer will be given a choice change their company policy or exit that brand

https://www.honda.co.th/testdrive/step1?internal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.honda.co.th

I will check that site out, Vinny. Thank you ????.

Like I mentioned to someone else who kindly responded to my post to you, I think there was (just) enough about the WR-V, from an all-too-brief look-over to spur me to give it another chance. So I will check out the site you provided to see if something can be sorted. 

Frankly, not impressed with this particular Honda dealership, tbh. Maybe another....though some distance away.....might be more ready to give me what I need. 

We'll see. Again, thanks Vinny & thanks for the link. ????

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

The new Golf GTI might be worth a look. 241 hp & 379 nm torque

????????????....high horsepower is not what floats my wife's boat.....so to speak. The colour of the vehicle does. And what really appeals to her most, is the vehicle that's at least one up-grade in the models range above that model I suggest is what we need. ????

37 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Just two weeks ago  I test drove a Honda City from the BanAmpur Honda outlet onto Sukhumvit Road and then up the motoway link and my wife drove it back.

As someone else suggested, I think it's an individual dealership thing. Their own policy. Not universal. Dunno for sure. ????????????

But you know, if they want me to part with the cabbage, I say hand me those ignition keys and let's ride. 

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

I will check that site out, Vinny. Thank you ????.

Like I mentioned to someone else who kindly responded to my post to you, I think there was (just) enough about the WR-V, from an all-too-brief look-over to spur me to give it another chance. So I will check out the site you provided to see if something can be sorted. 

Frankly, not impressed with this particular Honda dealership, tbh. Maybe another....though some distance away.....might be more ready to give me what I need. 

We'll see. Again, thanks Vinny & thanks for the link. ????

I would guess the number of test drive vehicles available is dependent on size of dealership and how much support the dealer receives from the  Dealer Marketing group within Honda. Its unlikely that Honda Thailand  provides every dealer with 11 cars free of charge ( one car for each model). Does Honda Thailand offer each dealer an incentive scheme where they can purchase one of each model at a lower cost on the basis that for at least 5 months they are used as show and test drive cars. From a dealer point of view as soon as you put red plates on the car the car warranty becomes active. Buying a testcar most people will want between 15-25% discount so hence incentive for dealers to provide test cars

On 3/16/2023 at 1:48 AM, LosLobo said:

image.png.d9ed947c408730d3fbf5014795b579f2.png

This Yaris GR is 261HP. Reviews puts this spec car  0-100km/h at 5.3 seconds.

They are available in Bangkok but only downside is the price ie 3.5 M baht.

Shame what toyota is doing to their grills. Why not just make the entire car a grill while they're at it?  I'm a toyota fanboy, but only the older stuff.  Another plug for the xB  (BB) is the gauge cluster is in the middle of the dash and makes for a nice temp shelf to put things on and it has 70 cubic feet of interior storage space.  Just you know, in case anyone was wondering.. . ????

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I would guess the number of test drive vehicles available is dependent on size of dealership and how much support the dealer receives from the  Dealer Marketing group within Honda. Its unlikely that Honda Thailand  provides every dealer with 11 cars free of charge ( one car for each model). Does Honda Thailand offer each dealer an incentive scheme where they can purchase one of each model at a lower cost on the basis that for at least 5 months they are used as show and test drive cars. From a dealer point of view as soon as you put red plates on the car the car warranty becomes active. Buying a testcar most people will want between 15-25% discount so hence incentive for dealers to provide test cars

Thanks, Vinny. You've just helpfully educated me somewhat as to the likely set-ups between manufacterers & dealerships. ????

I think I have been rather naive about this, assuming that the dealership policy is the manufacturer's (ie Honda) policy cos the dealership IS the manufacturer, in a way. But the relationship is more complex than that and I can, from your comments, understand that in a clearer way. ????

So that said......despite the WR-V having some rather cheapish-looking & naff features that I noticed as soon as I sat in it.......the WR-V had a certain character to it overall, notably the actual compactness of it, while still giving the impression of a larger vehicle. It's on the back-burner for me atm, but I'll be interested to know what coming reviews of it say.

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

So that said......despite the WR-V having some rather cheapish-looking & naff features that I noticed as soon as I sat in it.......the WR-V had a certain character to it overall, notably the actual compactness of it, while still giving the impression of a larger vehicle. It's on the back-burner for me atm, but I'll be interested to know what coming reviews of it say.

A lot will depend on yoru budget. Yes its still a  cheapish car in the market, but it seems to hav a lot more features than the city turbo (albeit it is 100K cheaper or so). If you set your budget to 1.2-1.3m there is a lot more to choose from. You could also look at second hand cars. Quite a few newish crv's get advertised in the crv Thailand club I use. They are generally from 900K to 1.2M. Strangely, women seem to like crv's, ecepy my wife. She says its too big, but prob becaause she's not used to driving it all the time. It took me a few weeks to ge tused to it from the civic also. 

From a service, parts, resale aspect, stick with either toyota or honda. Suzuki is good too, but it is not suitable for rough roads in my opinion. 

Here is a review in Thai. have your wife watch it. 

Edited by DavisH

Toyota Yaris is a great car and very easy to drive. Car manufacturers in Thailand, for some reason, tend to shut down production lines for several months at a time, making showrooms empty for some of the most popular models.  I have been in the market for a Honda H-RV the last couple of years, but keep finding empty showrooms and no brochures available, every time I have visited a Honda dealer showroom.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, DavisH said:

A lot will depend on yoru budget. Yes its still a  cheapish car in the market, but it seems to hav a lot more features than the city turbo (albeit it is 100K cheaper or so). If you set your budget to 1.2-1.3m there is a lot more to choose from. You could also look at second hand cars. Quite a few newish crv's get advertised in the crv Thailand club I use. They are generally from 900K to 1.2M. Strangely, women seem to like crv's, ecepy my wife. She says its too big, but prob becaause she's not used to driving it all the time. It took me a few weeks to ge tused to it from the civic also. 

From a service, parts, resale aspect, stick with either toyota or honda. Suzuki is good too, but it is not suitable for rough roads in my opinion. 

Here is a review in Thai. have your wife watch it. 

Thanks for your comments, DavisH. And thanks for the youtube reviews. Will watch them shortly, with my wife, to translate if necessary. ????????

Re second-hand crv's or second-hand cars generally, my wife is not keen. It's not a mindset that I think can change. (Which is a shame, cos if I could pick up a real bargain Jazz - now discontinued - it would suit her perfectly imo.)

If she knew the whole history of a bargain second-hander & was close to the owner, etc....then maybe, but....????????

????

5 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

Very happy with my Mazda 2. Have been all around Thailand with it. Has almost all the extra's, making it very comfortable for it's class.

Yes, I like them too. Actually did a test drive in one for the first time today - nice.

Problem is......my wife has taken a shine to the CX3 that she sat in at the showroom. 

The CX3 is nice....and have a test drive arranged for Monday, so that will probably reinforce her liking for it over the Mazda 2. 

I like the CX3 too but think the 2 is better for her & her needs. So will see.....????????????

Just now, Toolong said:

Yes, I like them too. Actually did a test drive in one for the first time today - nice.

Problem is......my wife has taken a shine to the CX3 that she sat in at the showroom. 

The CX3 is nice....and have a test drive arranged for Monday, so that will probably reinforce her liking for it over the Mazda 2. 

I like the CX3 too but think the 2 is better for her & her needs. So will see.....????????????

I like the Mazda 2, but I think it is a bit long in the tooth and I would expect it will be on a new platform inside of two years. 

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

Toyota Yaris is a great car and very easy to drive. Car manufacturers in Thailand, for some reason, tend to shut down production lines for several months at a time, making showrooms empty for some of the most popular models.  I have been in the market for a Honda H-RV the last couple of years, but keep finding empty showrooms and no brochures available, every time I have visited a Honda dealer showroom.

My local showroom now has the Yaris to look at and test drive. So will test drive next week. Think my wife prefers Mazda.....but I want to give the Yaris a chance. 

????

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

I like the Mazda 2, but I think it is a bit long in the tooth and I would expect it will be on a new platform inside of two years. 

Yes, I agree and think your prediction is very likely to be the case. ????

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, I agree and think your prediction is likely to be the case. ????

On 3/13/2023 at 7:27 PM, transam said:

The days of the DAF CVT belts are well and truly over......????

Our lad has a Mazda 2 CVT, first time I rode in it, I said, this hasn't got a CVT, you can hear the engine rev's drop as you accelerate, of course he didn't have a clue what I was talking about, so when I got home I Googled to find I was right, think it has a six speed auto..

Correct, it is not CVT.

https://www.mazda.com/en/archives/skyactiv/skyactiv-drive/

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

Since Covid and now War in Ukraine most brands have had to suspend production for a period of time due to shortage of parts here are some examples of the parts that are in short supply

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-Spotlight/Automakers-hit-limits-of-just-in-time-supply-chain-management

In Thailand for the whole of 2022 Honda sold 18,005 H-RV placing Honda in 2nd position in sales with Toyota Corolla Cross taking the number 1 lead position with 20,979

https://www.headlightmag.com/2023-01-26-sales-report-b-suv-crossover-jan-dec-2022/

For Brochure and Test Drive you can download Brochure from here and arrange test drive from here

https://www.honda.co.th/en/hrvehev

Note: Some models of test drive cars are only available in some showrooms. The system will display results only for showrooms with test drive cars.
selected models only

Honda does have over 11 different models not all dealers will stock all models

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Thanks 1

I bought my missus a Tuk Tuk and I got a right pasting for that.

People in the street would stop and watch her trying to turn

it round with loud gear crunching, while my son and I sat in the

back giggling, However, not recommended for sane people.

4 hours ago, Toolong said:

I also like the cx-3. It's kind of like my old civic - 2.0 engine and normal auto. Build quality is higher than the eco-cars. But when you look at resale in second hand websites...it's quite low. If you test drive the cx-3, try to take it on some rough roads and see how it rides. The suspension is somewhat "sporty". I've mentioned before, there is not much space in the rear seat, but if its just two of you in the car it should be fine. Clearance is higher than ecocars, which is good. 

12 hours ago, talahtnut said:

I bought my missus a Tuk Tuk and I got a right pasting for that.

People in the street would stop and watch her trying to turn

it round with loud gear crunching, while my son and I sat in the

back giggling, However, not recommended for sane people.

But there are a lot of nice accessories you can add on to make it a pleasant driving experience for your wife and to ramp up its resale value. Like, say, the roll-down see-through rain screens. 

What wife wouldn't appreciate that? ???????? 

8 hours ago, DavisH said:

I also like the cx-3. It's kind of like my old civic - 2.0 engine and normal auto. Build quality is higher than the eco-cars. But when you look at resale in second hand websites...it's quite low. If you test drive the cx-3, try to take it on some rough roads and see how it rides. The suspension is somewhat "sporty". I've mentioned before, there is not much space in the rear seat, but if its just two of you in the car it should be fine. Clearance is higher than ecocars, which is good. 

I'm glad you posted this comment my way, DavisH., cos it gives me a chance to get a niggle off my chest, so to speak! By all means tell me your view on this, if you have a mind to.

(Otherwise....if you think I'm talking nonsense, don't sweat it!????????)

The local Mazda showroom has only the top variant for each model. Yesterday we went to visit to check out the 2 & the Cx3.

The cx3, therefore was the top 'Comfort' variant. The stand-out differences in this top variant from the other cx3 variants - as far as I could tell, there might be others - were a few safety features, like the 360 degree surround view thing, nice suede leather trim.....and 18 inch wheels. 

My gripe is the wheel/tyre size, compared to the 16 inch size used on the 'lower' variants. 

I have seen this highlighted in many reviews of the cx3, and I know from my own experience, that the tyre profile used on the 18 inch, the 215/50 R18, will give a much LESS comfortable ride, on poor road surfaces, than the 215/60 R16 tyre used on the lower models. 

I know on GOOD road surfaces, the 215/50 R18 will no doubt be ok, and maybe even add more overall stability, handling-wise, than the 215/60 R16s, but where I live, a lot of road surface are pretty rough & pot-holed, so those 18 inchers are not what I need. 

I asked the salespeople if I could order the Comfort variant, but with the 16 inch wheel/tyre set up, paying the same price as I would for the 18 inch wheels. 

They said no, not possible. I explained the logic of it being a win-win for Mazda, and convenient for me, plus kind of a 'lose' for me, which I would accept. They said just can't be done. 

I'm not usually attracted by 'bells & whistles' too much, but I admit I do like that suede trim on the top model, and the 360 view monitor would be good for my wife....+ I'm not sure I could get over forking out so much for the next model down, with the hard plastic trim and no 360, despite having (for me) the better wheel/tyre set up.

The sales guy suggested I buy it as it is, then trade the 18 inchers for the size I want. 

While it is possible I suppose, to do that, not only is it a hassle, but possibly it might effect the warranty (not sure).

Another issue is that I think my wife has fallen for the CX3, over the Mazda 2! So while I'm now unsure about where to go from here re the CX3, and 'stalled', she's of the mind that it's the one for us.....or her, anyway! ????

Which brings me to the Mazda 2. Regarding wife being a VERY inexperienced, unsure, 4-wheel driver, and therefore getting a car that is small, zippy, easy to manouevre, and good quality....the Mazda 2 is the one for her....as far as I'm concerned! But she wants to run before she can walk, so to speak, and now sees the bigger cx3 is the one for her/us.

We test-drove the Mazda 2 (I drove) and it seemed perfectly fine. 

We will test-drive the cx3 on Monday, and I shall be putting it through its paces on some bumpy surfaces!

(If you, or anyone, is wondering why my wife isn't test-driving these vehicles herself, which would make sense, it's cos she is SO inexperienced that I would worry too much about disaster, unless we could find an unused airport runway to drive around! ????)

On 3/17/2023 at 6:31 PM, Yellowtail said:

The new Golf GTI might be worth a look. 241 hp & 379 nm torque

Y'all buying these as collector items, as where do you plan on driving, needing such power ?  Live next to a racetrack you have access to ?

I'm having a hard time, and rarely use the 177hp/280 nm torque our family car (ZS) has.  Really is more 'instant' power than I'll ever need or use. 

Nice when doing a quick pass on a winding road, which I might not have done with the ICE version.   But that's about it.  Speed limits of 90/120, and not the best roads to exceed those speeds on most of the time.

Just because they make muscle cars doesn't mean it's practical to own.   Especially when OP is asking about 'small hatchback/cars'.

Scratch that one:

"In Thailand, Volkswagen has discontinued the Golf GTI and this Cars model is out of production"

Edited by KhunLA

47 minutes ago, Toolong said:

We will test-drive the cx3 on Monday, and I shall be putting it through its paces on some bumpy surfaces!

The normal process is just to trade the new wheels/tires at a local wheel shop. But the best bet is to chage your wheels at the wheel shop and sell your old wheels online on a mazda thailand website. You will get much better money for it than trading at a wheel shop (especially if they are off a red plate). Totally agree, the ride won't be so good on rough roads with 18" wheels. 16" is probably optimal (in terms of looks and performance), but there is a less variety of alloy wheels at this size. 

One thing to note is the mazda 2 (both diesel and petrol) uses a lot less fuel than the cx-3, but there is a big difference in performance as you will see if you floor it. I think there is a new mazda 2 due soon, and may also come in a hybrid variant. Personally, I would wait to see what that is like. 

Have fun test driving! It's normal for them to just have the top model for test driving. Liek with the crv, they just had the diesel version (and no civic turbo) at the time I did my testing. 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

The normal process is just to trade the new wheels/tires at a local wheel shop. But the best bet is to chage your wheels at the wheel shop and sell your old wheels online on a mazda thailand website. You will get much better money for it than trading at a wheel shop (especially if they are off a red plate). Totally agree, the ride won't be so good on rough roads with 18" wheels. 16" is probably optimal (in terms of looks and performance), but there is a less variety of alloy wheels at this size. 

One thing to note is the mazda 2 (both diesel and petrol) uses a lot less fuel than the cx-3, but there is a big difference in performance as you will see if you floor it. I think there is a new mazda 2 due soon, and may also come in a hybrid variant. Personally, I would wait to see what that is like. 

Have fun test driving! It's normal for them to just have the top model for test driving. Liek with the crv, they just had the diesel version (and no civic turbo) at the time I did my testing. 

Thanks for your comments, DavisH.. 

Yes, I have noticed with new car buyers here that the brand wheels & tyres at purchase  often get changed for something more custom in amazingly quick time! Reckon they must have it all planned out before purchase & have it priced in, including the deal on selling the originals. Which of course is fine. ????

You point out the difference in gas consumption between the cx3 & the 2. It's actually hugely important and is one of the reasons for us to get a new vehicle, so despite the appeal of the cx3, it could be a mistake!

The test drive may be a deciding factor, so I'll make as much of it as I can.

And your point about Mazda bringing out a new 2 variant soon, I agree that they will most likely. So waiting a bit is not a bad idea.....and it gives me a chance to test drive the Yaris. ????????

Thanks....????