Frantic search for radioactive material missing from power plant in Thailand

webfact

20 hours ago, MJCM said:

Why does a steam powered plant have this, is it then by any chance a nuclear power plant?

There are many level instruments that use radioactive material for measuring the level in tanks.

• Thanks 1

2nd vote duck duck go gets rid of 99% of popups.  Google voice is disabled as well as tracking your history.  A bit more typing required.    Glad they found the cS 137 capsule that fell off the transport truck because a screw or 2 vibrated loose and the capsule fell out of it's container.    Let's hope this is found. 

7 hours ago, Dazkkk said:

There was a similar case where radioactive materials actually (the size of your little finger) fell off the back of a lorry that was transporting it across Australia a few weeks ago.

That reminds me of where my late uncle told me he got most of his electronic goods back in the early 80s.

• Haha 1

Ok, since no one is getting it right, here it is. Cesium 137 is one of the weakest isotopes made. Just like cobolt which is not radioactive until an electron is added. Simple term for nucleur fision. Cobalt is used for very thick materials. when exposed you will die very quickly. Anything like Piping, vessels and concrete that are above 2.5 inches thick cobalt will be used. Under will use Iridium which can only penetrate up to 2.5 inches which still would take about 1 hr to xray. Cobalt will take about 6 minutes. Now radioistopes or GAMMA radiation is used for industrial applications. Medical uses X-ray can be turned on or off. Gamma is in what we call a pill and is radioactive forever. It has half lives. So if you have Iridium that is 100 curries, it will be about 50 curries in about 6 months and so on. Cesium is used in power plants to open valves and chutes. Once a level is reached of product, it will automaticcaly open the valve. I believe the max strength is 12 curries. It CANNOT pick up cracks easily so I have never used it in radiography. PS. I have worked over 30 years as a NDE Radiographer Level 2 in power plants and refineries. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

Ok, since no one is getting it right, here it is. Cesium 137 is one of the weakest isotopes made. Just like cobolt which is not radioactive until an electron is added. Simple term for nucleur fision. Cobalt is used for very thick materials. when exposed you will die very quickly. Anything like Piping, vessels and concrete that are above 2.5 inches thick cobalt will be used. Under will use Iridium which can only penetrate up to 2.5 inches which still would take about 1 hr to xray. Cobalt will take about 6 minutes. Now radioistopes or GAMMA radiation is used for industrial applications. Medical uses X-ray can be turned on or off. Gamma is in what we call a pill and is radioactive forever. It has half lives. So if you have Iridium that is 100 curries, it will be about 50 curries in about 6 months and so on. Cesium is used in power plants to open valves and chutes. Once a level is reached of product, it will automaticcaly open the valve. I believe the max strength is 12 curries. It CANNOT pick up cracks easily so I have never used it in radiography. PS. I have worked over 30 years as a NDE Radiographer Level 2 in power plants and refineries. Hope this helps

Oh dear, decays via e‾ & γ radiation into Ba 137. Cs Has a half-life of around 30 years

Search for missing Caesium-137 intensifies, public health officials on standby

B2071826-23B3-4F50-A7F4-AEC1050D1DA8.png

Local officials and those from Thailand’s Office of Atoms for Peace have launched searches for a canister of radioactive Caesium-137, which has gone missing from a steam power plant in Si Maha Phot district of Prachin Buri.

Meanwhile, a 50,000 baht reward has been offered by National Power Plant 5A Company, which operates the power plant, for information which leads to the recovery of the radioactive material, contained in a steel tube, about two inches in diameter and 8 inches long and weighing about 25kg.

A representative of the company said that they discovered that the radioactive material was missing during the routine check on March 10th and has filed a complaint with Si Maha Phot district police.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/search-for-missing-caesium-137-intensifies-public-health-officials-on-standby/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-03-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2023 at 8:08 AM, In the jungle said:

I remember some years back somebody in Bangkok tried to cut open a second world war 500 pound bomb with an oxy-acetylene torch.

It didn't end well.

Somebody? 

Change that to, "Common every day Thai"!

6 hours ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

Cobalt 59 is extracted from the earth. By adding an electron it becomes cobalt 60

Wrong yet again. All Cobalt isotopes have 27 protons (∴ 27 electrons). 59 Cobalt + neutron→ 60 Cobalt.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2023 at 9:40 AM, Wombo1 said:

This is a level sensor.

For harsh, abrasive (ie coal), or corrosive processes in which the product will damage the sensor, you can use a radiation based source which can be situated outside the storage vessel and it will shoot through the metal to the other side.

Yes.

It is likely an old source holder for a nuclear level measuring device for a coal silo.???? I have installed a couple in my time. In fact I can count the number on one hand.

Not super dangerous but one wouldn't want to keep the source in your pocket.

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Not super dangerous but one wouldn't want to keep the source in your pocket.

You seem informed... all I could glean prior was 'prolonged exposure' is dangerous. How long could it be in your pocket before your bits fall off?

19 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You seem informed... all I could glean prior was 'prolonged exposure' is dangerous. How long could it be in your pocket before your bits fall off?

Don't know. I've only seen pictures during training session of a guy's thigh with a large bit missing after he kept a source in his pocket. 

Not instant.

If the missing source is still locked in its holder it is benign.

Edited by VocalNeal

12 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Don't know. I've only seen pictures during training session of a guy's thigh with a large bit missing after he kept a source in his pocket. 

Not instant.

If the missing source is still locked in its holder it is benign.

I used trivial ones for gold plate thickness measurement and became a 'competent person' to handle them. I was sent off for some training course in Leeds I believe it was. They showed a few gruesome pictures.