How long did it take you to get a good social life? And how did you do it?

sidjameson

11 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I was a Hasher before I came here. So it was easy for me to meet up with Hashers in BKK/Pattaya/Phuket/Chiang Mai. I have a good social life. 

But anyone can join in. If you have half a mind to do so.

A lot of people that wash up on these shores certainly seem to only have half a mind ????

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

having friends might mean people know!!!  never met a farang with more than 1 friend.   never.  

What is wrong with friends knowing what you enjoy ? You really should go back home and seek help, or did they suggest you leave and come here, hmmm, probably the later.

Sexpats, what on earth gives you that impression, nothing wrong with sex and being an expat, you should really try and enjoy the beautiful ladies Thailand has to offer, after all, what would life be without sex and these beautiful ladies here in the LOS, that is, if you can strike up a conversation with one.

@sidjameson

I know of at least 50 expats, play pool at least 3 times a week as I like to get out, I enjoy a couple of drinks and the conversations. I am married with kids and attend BBQ's at different expats homes and sometimes we put on a spill at ours.

You got to get out more, join clubs etc and you will meet many people, that said, if your like BananaStrong you will live a grumpy sad old life being alone with no friends.

Do I feel sorry for him....

no, nope, do not want, nein, dislike, danny devito, no gif – GIF

1 hour ago, BananaStrong said:

Here were my OBVIOUS questions, so pay attention I'll write slow: 

1.  Why come on this forum just to be negative and tell us you don't like farangs.   That makes no sense!!!!

2.  I'm making them ask themselves the question, "Why am I (they) screaming for attention?"  Seems like they actually want many farang friends and can't handle it.

3.  I'm having them ask themselves, "Is this is a normal post?  Oh, no.  So, why am I (them) posting such negativity????"  Obviously, they are miserable.

So then I do my hyperbole and make fun at them as some don't seem to get it!!!!

FARANGS, never read my messages and stay away from me!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

It's a public forum so anyone can post anything within the rules, and some like to post negative things.

Only mods get to say who can post.

11 hours ago, proton said:

Whats a hasher?

A hasher used to mean a person who runs with other like minded folks, who upon reaching a destination drinks beer.

A more modern definition involves smoking the resin of the weed plant with no running, no destination, but may involve drinking beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its called General Anxiety Disorder.
A relative low number of people have such concerns for self or expressed as concerns for others at some time of their life.
It can be managed by becoming a hasher. Either running a hash or smoking some hash can elevate the symptoms.

12 hours ago, proton said:

Edited by ignore it

I don't have a social life ,don't have time for one ,don't drink

which seems a must for having a social life ,not bothered ,and

I am happy with it, I have a long time friend from school days,

he's now a lawyer , I thought he was a good friend ,but everytime

I contact him , he's trying to get me to invest in some scheme 

with a 20 % return .....???? some people need contact with other

people , i don't. 

regards worgeordie 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Take up golf, badminton or a cue sport. Meet loads of people.

What is a cue "sport"? If it is what I think it is, just like darts, although there is some skill required, it cannot be called a sport as there is no exercise involved.

If you see grossly overweight guys taking part in anything, do not refer to it as a "sport".

14 hours ago, stoner said:

i'm a loser. i just get high all day in my mommy's basement.

Crikey ... a bong can be your best friend, bubbling away happily ???????? When mentioning basements I immediately thought of everybody's favourite neo-Nazi Nick Fuentes hahaha????

Not too long to develop I guess? I had a few contacts already before moving to live here and making LOS our main base.

Playing golfing, tennis, sailing, surfing etc, pretty relaxed and a friendly chap. But as a Scorpio (if this star stuff is real and accurate) then I am a sociable warm person, but also a man who needs alone-time.

Being an Aussie I tend to smile and say goodaye to most people ...  

I have a few close friends (some here, some in Oz and other places) who visit and spend time regularly.

Living in paradise tends to see our friends coming and going throughout the year which we enjoy and keeps life stimulating.

I have others who are in the outer ring of contact which I would describe as acquaintances e.g, have a beer with after a round, a smoothie or gaffee buran after a gym workout, meet up for a meal and wander around a night market with occasionally.

With those folks I don't know well I practise boundaries and am careful about sharing my life/our life with people I/we don't know and have yet to be clear in intuitions and questions about.

I would say I have a reasonably healthy scepticism (well sometimes I borders on neurotic paranoia lol ????).

I am aware of the ex Bank of England or Wall St directors, the ex-SAS, and the James Bonds hanging out on the island hahahahaha. 

I'm old enough and stable enough in myself to love being alone and letting my darling have her space too. I cherish a round by myself, or a dawn swim of the beach with maybe one or two people on the whole beach and no one in the water, yoga and meditation afterwards.

These solitude moments makes being with my mates all the more enjoyable.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Crikey ... a bong can be your best friend, bubbling away happily ???????? When mentioning basements I immediately thought of everybody's favourite neo-Nazi Nick Fuentes hahaha????

mom never cleaned my bong so i kicked her out. i only dab. bongs are quite dirty. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

expats or sexpats (real name) come here so nobody sees what they are doing!!!!   sickoes.  

I don't hide my reasoning for moving to Thailand from my family and friends from "back home"... many of whom have come to my place of employment to tour the facilities and see the production line process.

16 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I was a Hasher before I came here. So it was easy for me to meet up with Hashers in BKK/Pattaya/Phuket/Chiang Mai. I have a good social life. 

But anyone can join in. If you have half a mind to do so.

Yes, it is a good way to meet a lot of people fairly fast.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Get involved in doing activities that you used to do in your home country.  If those aren't available look for new interests that you might want to try.  There are a lot of expat groups that meet on a variety of different things.  Most, but not all, also have a number of Thais involved too.  

14 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

1.  Golf in the death heat of Thailand?

2.  Badminton.  I'm a male!!!!

3.  cue sport?   I don't like to be around gamblers and drinkers and smokers.

How about Ninja fighting?  Muay Thai to the death?  Rock climbing?   Wrestling crocodiles!!!!

I cycle and wakeboard. Enjoy rock climbing too,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

Afraid of having a conversation with someone.  I'm tired of policing my thoughts for the benefit of others.

I used to be an independent.  Republicans are in power, I go with left-leaning media.  And vice versa.

Trump destroyed that.  Left-leaning media become, to my point-of-view, hysterical.  Unwatchable.  Always being lectured to.

And everybody is so bitterly polarized these days.  Why bother?  What am I going to change?

The brilliant thing about Thais is that, I don't know Thai, and most of them don't know enough English to take issue with anything I might say.

I am blessed to have spent my life on the computer, I think.  It is as engaging a life as I could ever hope for.  I can sit here and gaze out my balcony at the beach below, and then go back to whatever I'm doing on the computer, and almost always when I go to bed I feel the day is well spent.

yeah, p%%nhub is great. 

I don't speak to another human sole other than my girlfriend and the cats.  I spent most of yesterday talking to an AI (Deep AI Chat).  I learnt so much from it about English grammar.  I never even knew a simple sentence can have a compound predicate and still be consider simple.  We (Deep AI) talked about elliptical construction and implied subjects.  It taught me that usually the verb is removed not the subjects and implied subjects don't affect the sentence type.  I learnt that the subject has to be stated in both the first and second clause for it to be a compound sentence even though we know the subject.  Not just English but other subjects as well.

If the world is robots and cats I am okay with that.  Can't stand other humans unless I select them or hire them.

Edited by markclover
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I had three good friends here, an Aussie, an American, and a Thai, all now dead. Never wanted a 'social life'. These days my Thai family provide all the company I need.

sorry to hear about your three good friends.

1 hour ago, markclover said:

I don't speak to another human sole other than my girlfriend and the cats.  I spent most of yesterday talking to an AI (Deep AI Chat).  I learnt so much from it about English grammar.  I never even knew a simple sentence can have a compound predicate and still be consider simple.  We (Deep AI) talked about elliptical construction and implied subjects.  It taught me that usually the verb is removed not the subjects and implied subjects don't affect the sentence type.  I learnt that the subject has to be stated in both the first and second clause for it to be a compound sentence even though we know the subject.  Not just English but other subjects as well.

If the world is robots and cats I am okay with that.  Can't stand other humans unless I select them or hire them.

I definitely prefer learned over learnt. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Hanging around in a pot bar. It's closed now (pot bars are dropping like flies in CM), but the group smokes on.

I have my western wife to keep me company, so I don't actively seek company out. Still, most Chiang Mai condo dwellers are escaping from/seeking something and are gagging to talk about it.

Whether these elevator chats lead to some bong hits is down to the luck of the elevator frequency-draw. The guy next door who's a global nomad who's trying to give birth to Shiva is always good for a bowl. Bit of a Johnny One-Note on the Shiva thing. A Brit. Obviously.

The iPhone killed the happenstance chat at the coffee bar. Once people had a socially acceptable way to block out others, they voted overwhelmingly with their feet.

Edited by LaosLover