Who will win the Thai election on May 14?

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Goat said:

Fake figures. Pheu Thai was told they had to divide up then they banned the other half.

And also banned their prized candidate earlier. 

And a whole lot of other sneaky tricks.

PT won 137 seats. 

PP won 97.

Prayut did not get a single vote. Nobody voted for him because he didnt run. PP nominated him after the election.

What fairy tale is this? When you are banned you are banned...and for good reason. To just rename your party is gaming the system....They banned the owner because of his criminal activities from the court cases he run away and his nominee also run away from court cases . The courts are not controlled by Prayut.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No. Of course not. But, he is the only one in recent Thai history who has done anything to benefit the common man. The goodwill from that cannot be over estimated. Universal health care represented the first time many Thais had access to health care that did not cause bankruptcy. 

What has the current crop of goons done for the people lately? It is always a choice between inferior choices in politics. Prayuth or Prawit are hugely inferior to even Justin Bieber. 

The Universal Health care was a project of the Democrats. Which had to be postponed because of the 1997 crises in which the group around Thaksin was heavily involved. Thaksin implemented it after the Dems repaired the finances, but it worked extreme bad as he didn't gave budget for it....Health care but no money for medication. That was repaired in a later government (can't remember which one).
He did it and that is an achievement, but the time was ready for it. He did some good things, no question, but he was also terrible corrupt, sold many things, sent military to Afghanistan and called Bush his best friend. I recall his speech about doing a subway direct below the BTS to bankrupt them. Banned selling the beer during the day, started the xenophobic immigration laws....It was a daily PR show.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

There is a school of thought ( although I would hazard a guess that you don't subscribe to it), which is very widely held, not just amongst the poor, that since the "very wealthy in Bangkok" have almost invariably made their wealth at the expense of the poorer members of society, taxing them highly ( or at least realistically, proportionally) would be fair.

The problem is that this line of thinking, and the method that it might take to make it work, have more than a hint of a revolutionary Marxist feel to it.

A politician could of course get voted in on a "take the rich people's money and give it to the poor" ticket, when there are so many more poor people than there are rich people, but I just don't see that as being workable.

We've also seen how badly things can go with schemes to fund vote-buying.

That's likely why there are so many coups in Thailand and why developing countries so rarely function well as a democracy.

Many would choose Thaksin over Prayuth. Or his daughter. Or anyone. In comparison, Thaksin is a giant, who accomplished much for his people, and is beloved to this day, by millions. On the other hand, Prayuth has succeeded in sabotaging Thailand to the point where it may take many years to recover. He may be liked by 1 to 2% of the population. Maybe. At most. No positive policy. No good ideas. No forward vision. Nothing but oppression, repression, suppression, lies, fabrications, deflection, a total unwillingness to man up and take responsibility for anything, enrichment for the army, and his buddies, a totally failed leadership, a failed vaccination drive, a failed Covid recovery plan, economic destruction, and stunning sabotage of the once vibrant tourism industry. And little to no assistance to the millions who were living on scraps. If you had tried to reduce your nation from a once powerful giant tiger shark, to a tiny, insipid, sickly minnow, you could not have done a better job. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Many subscribers here have never lived in a Thai country home. I have as my wife has 4 brothers all farmers in the Korat area. I've seen how their lifestyles have slipped in the past 7-8 years. 2 were very successful but are now in real financial trouble as the Thai exports have hit rock bottom. As for the election I don't care who wins but the majority should prevail and the winning party should be allowed to form a Government. Don't single out a person or party when it comes to election naughties as everyone in Thai politics is bent, Cheers.