Thai ID card numbers - can the number be changed?

Hello all

I believe Thai people have an ID card with a 13 digit number that follows them for life?

My question is - can the NUMBER ever be changed?

ie if I wanted to find someone after a few years, will that ID number always be there, and a lawyer could find the person??

Thanks

29 minutes ago, danferguson said:

My question is - can the NUMBER ever be changed?

The Thai identity card is an official identity document issued to Thai nationals between the age of 7 and 70 years. 

May be after the age of 70 the number can be changed. Why 70 I dunno.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Confused 2

I don't know about a legal way for a person being Thai national by birth.

Citizen ID being determined at the birth certificate.

Changes could happen for foreigners becoming permanent residents and naturalized persons?

But happy to hear more insight.

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I don't know about a legal way for a person being Thai national by birth.

Citizen ID being determined at the birth certificate.

Changes could happen for foreigners becoming permanent residents and naturalized persons?

But happy to hear more insight.

I am asking about Thai people by birth, not foreigners/PR's, etc, not talking about using fake ID's

I believe the ID CARD can be changed/renewed, but the ID NUMBER stays for life - is this correct??

Just now, danferguson said:

I am asking about Thai people by birth, not foreigners/PR's, etc, not talking about using fake ID's

I believe the ID CARD can be changed/renewed, but the ID NUMBER stays for life - is this correct??

I would say yes, you keep the same number.

Here in Thailand a ID card is renewed every 5 years, new card some number.

Think about it if you could change the number, it would be utter chaos all the other systems that card number is linked to would have to be changed, just do not think about it, criminals would have a field day.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, danferguson said:

Yes.

But your question sounded like there is some exceptional situation where the number might be changed. And as written I am not aware about.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes.

But your question sounded like there is some exceptional situation where the number might be changed. And as written I am not aware about.

I think the poster is trying to confirm that he would be able to track someone down from their id and wants to confirm if that person would disappear and not be found by changing their ID #

• Like 1

I doubt it would be that easy for a lawyer to find somebody using only their ID number, A lawyer might imply that they could , and would probably be happy to take your money  But I wouldn't hold your breath  or pay anything up front.    Private detective might be a better option but the same caveat applies

8 minutes ago, danferguson said:

Correct.

Actually not me tracking someone down. This is for purposes of a will, so I would be dead!

Just want to leave something for a couple of families I have supported over the years.

For that purpose, the district office can give the executor of your will the address at which the ID card holder is registered as residing. The entry in the house registration book is linked to the ID card number.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, danferguson said:

Correct.

Actually not me tracking someone down. This is for purposes of a will, so I would be dead!

Just want to leave something for a couple of families I have supported over the years.

Good on you for that. I'm not sure of any pitfalls that might arise on this plan, hopefully minimal ones. 

5 hours ago, danferguson said:

Correct.

Does the executor you have mentioned in your will know these people or where they might live, know details re their relatives etc?

12 hours ago, danferguson said:

The ID number is given when the birth certificate is issued and stays for life. The 7-70 mentioned in an earlier reply refers to the age Thai nationals can get the ID card. The card is valid for 10 years, but a card that was issued for someone over 60 valid for the rest of their life

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

ID cards for adult Thais are valid for 8 years (8th birthday after issue date).

Similar to Thai DL one can get up to 9 years if going just after expiry (which is the birthday).

ID cards issued after the age of 60 are "LIFELONG".

10 years for adults, not 8. Used to be 6 years and changed to 10 a while back

On 3/26/2023 at 8:27 PM, danferguson said:

I believe the number does not/ cannot be changed.The card does have to be renewed. There is an expiry date on it.My dear wife has lost hers more times than I can count, requiring a visit to our amphur to get a new one, with new photo. Number stays the same.

So if you or the authorities are looking for someone the ID number is a good start as to current location!

On 3/27/2023 at 7:58 AM, DrJoy said:

No.

Once issued at birth, it can never be changed

I believe there was a law enacted in early 90's that allowed those born with a foreign parent to change their ID number from a foreign designated ID to a Thai ID. The original Thai Birth Certificate being annotated to reflect that change.

But, yes, in effect Thai ID's remain for life.