Are you thinking of buying a BYD EV?

20 minutes ago, Pib said:

The BYD Atto 3 test drive did occur today....the test drive covered the "exact same" road and distance as yesterday's MG ZS EV test drive.  I wanted the drive to be identical to do a best possible comparison.  Two people in the front seats (me the driver and a dealership rep) and one-each wife in the back seat.  Drove about 20km at high and low speeds, smooth and bumpy roads, and even into the carport at my house (wanted so see how well it fit the carport) and make my neighbors think I had already bought a new car both yesterday and today.  (grin)

Both the wife and I preferred BYD ride over the MG ride...the BYD ride was smoother and quieter than the MG not to imply the MG ride was rough/noisy as it was pretty good also.  However, one thing I did not like about the MG ride was when going over a bump the rear end bounced too much for my liking....almost felt like how a car can feel that has bad shocks.   The BYD didn't have that rear-end bounce....just smooth.  On a scale for 1 to 10 I would rate the BYD smoothness of ride as a 8 and the MG a 6 or 7....definitely a 7 if it wasn't for the rear end bounce on bumps.   The BYD ride was little quieter than the MG...but not by much.  

And the BYD is more spacious inside since its chassis was specifically designed for an EV from the get-go whereas the MG was originally designed for an ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicle and retrofitted to also use a EV engine.....this restricts the MG from using reallocating some excess front end engine space to the interior space which gives the interior more front and back seat leg room.  Also, the MG center console kinda restricts a person's left leg movement whereas the BYD does not....all do to center console shape/size/design.

I could go on about the other differences between the MG and BYD which I researched for the last few months (lord knows I watched dozens upon dozens of MG ZS EV and BYD Atto 3 Youtube videos), sat in both cars for a couple of hours tinkering with the controls/infotainment center, asking questions of the salesman, and doing a test drive in each.   

And by the way, the Infotainment center (i.e., center main control screen, control settings, cameras, etc.,) of the BYD are significantly better than the MG.  The BYD software/screen controls are just more responsive/faster than the MG....maybe a rough analogy would be like comparing this year's latest model smartphone with a faster CPU/more memory to a smartphone model from a couple years ago with a slower CPU/less memory. 

BYD cameras are "definitely" better/clearer display than the MG. 

And using voice commands to tell the BYD to do things like open the sunroof, open a side window, lower the A/C temperature worked like a charm (in English)......now I did not test voice commands in the MG but numerous Youtube reviews gave it low marks for models sold in Thailand as the voice commands are geared to the Thai language. 

The air con in the MG is stronger/cooler than the BYD....the BYD A/C is OK...it's just the MG was better/cooler.  

In terms of horsepower/torque the BYD has a higher rating and Youtube videos showed the BYD was faster in 0-60 and 0-100kmh tests....but only by a little.  The MG full acceleration is "immediate" where the BYD full accelerations seem to have about a half second lag but as mentioned supposedly the BYD will reach 60 or 100kmh a little quicker than the MG.    Maybe kinda like a quarter mile drag race where one car takes the lead of the starting line but the other car overtakes and passes the finish line first.  But both the MG and BYD definitely have more than enough get-up-and-go!  The electric engine(s) in an EV definitely push you back in your seat under full acceleration....pretty impressive....and of course quiet.

Both the wife and I preferred the interior "fabric/seat covers" of the MG but the BYD is fine.  And of course the BYD interior is more eccentric than the more classic interior design of the MG. 

Warranty-wise the BYD beats the MG as described in my earlier post.   Same 8 yr/160,000 Km warranty of the traction battery on both vehicles but the BYD also has a 8 yr/160,000 Km basic vehicle warranty whereas the MG is 4 yrs/120,000 Km.  Yeap, BYD warranty coverage is a clear winner over the MG warranty....a warranty I hope I never have to use for anything serious....time will tell.

I could go on-and-on about the differences....things I considered pros and cons on each vehicle which other people might disagree with since peoples' like/dislikes/tastes can vary greatly.  

As mentioned I be keeping my 2009 Fortuner 3.0L Diesel which will be 15 years old next month and has approx 315,000 Km under its odometer which works out to approx 21,000 Km drove yearly....it still runs and looks great as I'm maintained it well.  The wife and I take the car out almost everyday of the year (probably 355 days out of 365) doing local shopping/stuff here in Bangkok,  a weekly run of approx 120Km roundtrip to visit the mother in law, etc., ..it's very easy to rack-up 21K per year in just doing daily, routine trips.    

If the creek don't rise, the moon don't fall on the Earth, I just don't wake up tomorrow, the wife and I are about 99% sure right now we will go put a Bt10K deposit on a Atto 3 with projected delivery approx 10 days later according to the dealership....remaining payment due on delivery/pickup date.   We could have made the deposit today, but with me-being-me I just want to sleep on it to ensure I don't have some nightmare saying "don't buy that car!!!!!"  ????

You do know that the BYD warranty only cover some parts for 6 months, 1 year, 3 and 4 years, right?

Screenshot_20230920_190323_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You do know that the BYD warranty only cover some parts for 6 months, 1 year, 3 and 4 years, right?

Screenshot_20230920_190323_Chrome.jpg

Yes, I figured/knew the fine print of the warranty would probably not cover "everything" for 8 years/160,000Km....things like the 12V lead acid battery, tires, filters, shocks, brake pads, wiper blades, USB ports you break, etc., as in those things simply wear out regardless of what car make/model they are in.  

HOWEVER, BUT, the big bucks items like the traction battery and drive unit/key controllers are covered for 8 years/160,000Km according to the sales literature provided me and as indicated below in a slide from the youtube video although the slide indicates 150K (maybe a typo...maybe it really 160K) for the Drive Unit in Australia.  Is the warranty the same in Thailand and Australia or are there minor differences which often occurs between vehicles sold in different countries.     

But the dealership also pointed-out some items, like the 12V battery, filters, other things that wear out kinda fast) have a shorter warranty.   

But they say "maintenance" is free for 8 yr/160K which probably means "labor" is free and not parts costs like for brake pads, wiper blades, the little stuff that wears out kinda faster, etc. 

Looking at initial sales literature they gave me yesterday it says 

- Free Car Warranty for 8 years/160,000km

- Free traction battery warranty 8 years/160,000km

- Free maintenance service, labor, spare parts for 8 years/160,000Km

But looking at the Quotation they gave me today regarding the warranty it says

- Traction battery warranty 8 years/160K

- Body warranty 8 years/160K

Each document I have got from BYD seems to be a little different....some you have to use google translated....some come in English.   I will talk more with the  BYD dealership about the details/fine print of the warranty, but I feel confident the big ticket items like the traction battery and drive unit are covered for 8 years/160K.   Will post more after I talk to the dealership probably tommorrow.

Snapshot from above youtube video

image.png.d5a45d90566a202f378cec987c4e3f82.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

Although a person must use google translate on below webpage which talks 2022 Atto 3 warranty in Thailand it shows both basic warranty and "extended" warranty warranty is some areas....extended in either times and/kilometers.   Like where that youtube video slide mentioned Drive Unit warranty of 8 years/150Km the website below says 6 years/150Km but with extended warranty it's 8 years/160Km.   

So, when I visit BYD tomorrow I will ask for more "fine print details" on their "current" warranty...same as last year or different this year/today, etc.

https://www.autofun.co.th/news/2022-byd-atto-3-warranty-details-56058

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

https://www.byd.com/en-th/support/service/warranty-policy

This appears to be the same as the youtube snapshot

Same warranty policy for malaysia

https://www.byd.com/my/support/service/warranty-policy

Ireland has

Bodywork Anti-Corrosion12 years, unlimited mileage

https://www.bydauto.ie/en/owners/warranty-policy

For additional peace of mind, all BYD cars with a comprehensive 6-year vehicle warranty, 8-year battery warranty, and a 12-year Anti-Corrosion warranty.  BYD ATTO 3 comes with a two-year service plan offering free of charge replacement of tyres, front brake pads and wiper blades should they need to be replaced. 

https://www.bydauto.ie/en/faqs

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Pib said:

The BYD Atto 3 test drive did occur today....the test drive covered the "exact same" road and distance as yesterday's MG ZS EV test drive.  I wanted the drive to be identical to do a best possible comparison.  Two people in the front seats (me the driver and a dealership rep) and one-each wife in the back seat.  Drove about 20km at high and low speeds, smooth and bumpy roads, and even into the carport at my house (wanted so see how well it fit the carport) and make my neighbors think I had already bought a new car both yesterday and today.  (grin)

Both the wife and I preferred BYD ride over the MG ride...the BYD ride was smoother and quieter than the MG not to imply the MG ride was rough/noisy as it was pretty good also.  However, one thing I did not like about the MG ride was when going over a bump the rear end bounced too much for my liking....almost felt like how a car can feel that has bad shocks.   The BYD didn't have that rear-end bounce....just smooth.  On a scale for 1 to 10 I would rate the BYD smoothness of ride as a 8 and the MG a 6 or 7....definitely a 7 if it wasn't for the rear end bounce on bumps.   The BYD ride was little quieter than the MG...but not by much.  

And the BYD is more spacious inside since its chassis was specifically designed for an EV from the get-go whereas the MG was originally designed for an ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicle and retrofitted to also use a EV engine.....this restricts the MG from using reallocating some excess front end engine space to the interior space which gives the interior more front and back seat leg room.  Also, the MG center console kinda restricts a person's left leg movement whereas the BYD does not....all due to center console shape/size/design.

I could go on about the other differences between the MG and BYD which I researched for the last few months (lord knows I watched dozens upon dozens of MG ZS EV and BYD Atto 3 Youtube videos), sat in both cars for a couple of hours tinkering with the controls/infotainment center, asking questions of the salesman, and doing a test drive in each.   

And by the way, the Infotainment center (i.e., center main control screen, control settings, cameras, etc.,) of the BYD are significantly better than the MG.  The BYD software/screen controls are just more responsive/faster than the MG....maybe a rough analogy would be like comparing this year's latest model smartphone with a faster CPU/more memory to a smartphone model from a couple years ago with a slower CPU/less memory.  BYD cameras are "definitely" better/clearer display than the MG. 

And using voice commands to tell the BYD to do things like open the sunroof, open a side window, lower the A/C temperature worked like a charm (in English)......now I did not test voice commands in the MG but numerous Youtube reviews gave it low marks for models sold in Thailand as the voice commands are geared to the Thai language. 

The air con in the MG is stronger/cooler than the BYD....the BYD A/C is OK...it's just the MG was better/cooler.  

In terms of horsepower/torque the BYD has a higher rating and Youtube videos showed the BYD was faster in 0-60 and 0-100kmh tests....but only by a little.  The MG full acceleration is "immediate" where the BYD full accelerations seem to have about a half second lag but as mentioned supposedly the BYD will reach 60 or 100kmh a little quicker than the MG.    Maybe kinda like a quarter mile drag race where one car takes the lead off the starting line but the other car overtakes and passes the finish line first.  But both the MG and BYD definitely have more than enough get-up-and-go!  The electric engine(s) in an EV definitely push you back in your seat under full acceleration....pretty impressive....and of course quiet.

Both the wife and I preferred the interior "fabric/seat covers" of the MG but the BYD is fine.  And of course the BYD interior is more eccentric than the more classic interior design of the MG. 

Warranty-wise the BYD beats the MG as described in my earlier post.   Same 8 yr/160,000 Km warranty of the traction battery on both vehicles but the BYD also has a 8 yr/160,000 Km basic vehicle warranty whereas the MG is 4 yrs/120,000 Km.  Yeap, BYD warranty coverage is a clear winner over the MG warranty....a warranty I hope I never have to use for anything serious....time will tell.

I could go on-and-on about the differences....things I considered pros and cons on each vehicle which other people might disagree with since peoples' like/dislikes/tastes can vary greatly.  

As mentioned I'll be keeping my 2009 Fortuner 3.0L Diesel which will be 15 years old next month and has approx 315,000 Km under its odometer which works out to approx 21,000 Km drove yearly....it still runs and looks great as I'm maintained it well.  The wife and I take the car out almost everyday of the year (probably 355 days out of 365) doing local shopping/stuff here in Bangkok,  a weekly run of approx 120Km roundtrip to visit the mother in law, etc., ...it's very easy to rack-up 21K per year in just doing daily, routine trips.    

If the creek don't rise, the moon don't fall on the Earth, I just don't wake up tomorrow, the wife and I are about 99% sure right now we will go put a Bt10K deposit on a Atto 3 with projected delivery approx 10 days later according to the dealership....remaining payment due on delivery/pickup date.   We could have made the deposit today, but with me-being-me I just want to sleep on it to ensure I don't have some nightmare saying "don't buy that car!!!!!"  ????

Excellent stuff... THANKS

• Like 1

13 hours ago, transam said:

But 8 years for everything was mentioned.............????

It is a Chinese car after all, so future promises hold no present value.

When owners after 7 years get half the original range, BYD will hook up a fancy ching ding ding machine that shows the battery ???? is still 82% good ????

Bye bye, have nice day ???? ????

You buy latest model BYD Attaboy 1000, have better warranty. 

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Allow me to correct that...

Change 7 years to 20 years

Change half the original range to 90% of the original range

You can check the battery SoH (State of Health) with a cheap tester through the OBD port in all EV's.

I truly admire your faith in the the Chinese fortune cookie ???? battery claims, but for us humble souls that live in the present, we just have to wait a few years to see actual results.

On a more serious note, please share how the SoH is accurately measured?

Can you run the battery down to 10% charge it to 90% and just measure how much KwH were used and then extrapolate to 100%?

Some power is however lost during the charging process.

It was earlies discussed how a German company attach a data box that follow the battery over a few charging cycles and then estimate SoH, so no a simple and cheap test.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, sirineou said:

So I asked a different question.

"does it cost more to insure EVs than it does ICE"

The answer I got was , "EVs cost slightly more to insure because of the higher cost to repair in case of an accident" 

No Mention of fire. 

Below is a list of comparison vehicles is  in the Forbes article in the subject. 

image.png.638f3d91c262e20a27d3bbd79d224a74.png

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-insurance/electric-vehicle/

So then i looked further into the as it pertains to the threat of fire.

" Do electric cars increase homeowners insurance?"

So from Liberty mutual,  one of the largest homeowners insurance companies in the US:

-Owning an electric vehicle or hybrid car doesn't necessarily impact your homeowners, condo, or renters insurance.

https://www.libertymutual.com/insurance-resources/auto/electric-cars-and-insurance

one would think that not only would there be a significantly higher car insurance if electric cars had a high incidence of fire, but the homes where they are stored and changed most of the time would require a higher , homeowners insurance. 

I would say most of those cars in the list are hybids, not EVs. Honda accord and crv are hybrids, for example. 

I would really try to avoid any kind of accident that may damage the battery of an EV, even with first class insurance. 

As an aside, has anyone driven their EV through a deeply flooded road. Sometimes we come across that situation and it can't be avoided (on a one way street and stuck in traffic, for example). 

I was at Salaya a couple of nightd ago and the soi was flooded, The byd in front of my decided to u-turn. Erring on the side of caution, I guess. My car was ok as it has reasonable clearance. 

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

No, we don't "have to wait a few years to see actual results," to know how long a battery will last, or how much range it will lose over time.

Batteries can be (and are) tested by running them through an accelerated series of discharge/recharge cycles in a test laboratory.

This is the same way that many, many consumer goods are tested, by simulating actual use, but at an accelerated rate, in a laboratory setting.

What are the environmental conditions used in these labortory tests? Driving conditions, heat, cold, humidity, how the car is driven, will all affect battery life. It's the same situation when companies quote their range (which quite often over estimates range compared to real world conditions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I would say most of those cars in the list are hybids, not EVs. Honda accord and crv are hybrids, for example. 

I would really try to avoid any kind of accident that may damage the battery of an EV, even with first class insurance. 

As an aside, has anyone driven their EV through a deeply flooded road. Sometimes we come across that situation and it can't be avoided (on a one way street and stuck in traffic, for example). 

I was at Salaya a couple of nightd ago and the soi was flooded, The byd in front of my decided to u-turn. Erring on the side of caution, I guess. My car was ok as it has reasonable clearance. 

I drove a low slung EV Sports Car through 18" of water, even the front bumper camera was under water and there were a crowd of people expecting me to get stuck, no ill effects.

No saloon cars were getting through, only pickups.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, DavisH said:

What are the environmental conditions used in these labortory tests? Driving conditions, heat, cold, humidity, how the car is driven, will all affect battery life. It's the same situation when companies quote their range (which quite often over estimates range compared to real world conditions. 

Laboratory testing of any consumer product is conducted by simulating the real world environment. So any conditions that would normally occur during the use of the product and might affect product life, whether that be an EV battery, a vacuum cleaner, a zip fastener or whatever, will be included in the laboratory tests.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

As an aside, has anyone driven their EV through a deeply flooded road. Sometimes we come across that situation and it can't be avoided

All I read so far is that they are safer than ICE cars in that they don't have an exhaust pipe and the danger of stalling. Both the batteries and motors are water tight. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

All I read so far is that they are safer than ICE cars in that they don't have an exhaust pipe and the danger of stalling. Both the batteries and motors are water tight. 

Yet, battery cars have gone up in smoke driving through water.......:whistling:

In an ICE car in water, just keep the RPM up, the exhaust gas pressure helps keep water out of the exhaust.......????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Yet, battery cars have gone up in smoke driving through water.......:whistling:

In an ICE car in water, just keep the RPM up, the exhaust gas pressure helps keep water out of the exhaust.......????

Sure , and ICE vars have stalled and got swept away

Driving through floods is a dangerous thing and should be avoided. 

But the question is, are EVs more dangerous than ICE vehicles? 

According to the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA)  in reference to resque wo 

"Hybrid, electric, and fuel cell vehicles are designed to be safe in water, even when fully submerged. The High Voltage (HV) system is isolated from the chassis and is designed to NOT pose a shock and NOT energize the surrounding water. "

https://www.nfpa.org/~/media/Files/Code or topic fact sheets/BulletinSubmergedHybridEV.ashx

Watch this EV drive through a flood around all the disabled ICE vehicles. 

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Sure , and ICE vars have stalled and got swept away

Driving through floods is a dangerous thing and should be avoided. 

But the question is, are EVs more dangerous than ICE vehicles? 

According to the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA)  in reference to resque wo 

"Hybrid, electric, and fuel cell vehicles are designed to be safe in water, even when fully submerged. The High Voltage (HV) system is isolated from the chassis and is designed to NOT pose a shock and NOT energize the surrounding water. "

https://www.nfpa.org/~/media/Files/Code or topic fact sheets/BulletinSubmergedHybridEV.ashx

Watch this EV drive through a flood around all the disabled ICE vehicles. 

I bought two 4-20 mA submersible Chinese pressure transducers, both lasted less than 2 month before water ingress killed them. 

Magic unicorns ???? ️ must roam freely around the Chinese EV industry if it is totally OK to dip your HIGH voltage batteries in water from time to time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

OK...I talked to the BYD dealership today regarding the Atto 3 warranty with focus on the length of time/number of kilometers (and any fine print) since their advertising literature puts a 8 year/160,000Km warranty statement in a big spotlight which can imply everything in/on the vehicle is covered for that length of time/kilometers including things that could probably never last that long like filters, 12V battery, tires, etc.   

And after watching more Youtube videos last night like the one from the Electric Viking that talked the uproar "in Australia" regarding the BYD Atto 3 warranty which didn't live-up to the spotlight 8 yr/160K km warranty in all areas I went to my dealership armed with this info.   

But at the same time I had run across info from googling that BYD Thailand adds an "Extended" warranty to the basic BYD warranty.  When I went to the dealership I didn't mention anything about their apparent Extended Warranty as I wanted to give them the chance to bring it up/talk the issue first....I didn't want to give them an easy out.   And I also told them before arriving I wanted to talk costs for the Warranty "Scheduled Maintenance" as apparently there is/was also a big uproar in Australia about the Scheduled Maintenance costs associated with the warranty coverage.  In this post I will only talk the warranty....and then in a separate post talk the Scheduled Mx Costs.

Talked the warranty issue with the dealership for approx 30 minutes this morning....I had given them a heads-up yesterday afternoon that I wanted to talk warranty and scheduled maintenance....give them a chance to round up docs/info.   At the very beginning the meeting when the two dealership reps sat down I could see they had a warranty slide in Thai language which looked like the English language one below from the BYD Australia Warranty Manual "BUT" their slide had an additional column labeled "Extended Warranty"....an extended warranty that applied to many but not all areas of the vehicle.   

OK, below is that slide from the BYD Australia Warranty for reference which matches Electric Viking youtube slide shown in my my earlier post.  So, when reading my Extended Warranty words below you'll need to glance at the slide at the bottom which shows the basic BYD warranty.  Apparently Extended Warranties vary from country-to-country, region to region,...and apparently there is no Extended Warranty for Australia like  there is one for Thailand.   Maybe BYD figures different countries need different levels of warranty in order to best sell their cars in that country.

Several areas of the basic warranty have a BYD Thailand Extended (additional) Warranty; some don't.  See my words  below "and" then glance down at the basic BYD warranty slide at the bottom.  

1. - The Traction battery does not have any extending warranty; just the BYD basic 8 yrs/160K km

2. - The Drive unit components (ie.., Motor, controller, etc) has an extended/additional warranty period of 10K km which brings the total to 8 yrs/160K km

So, this means all the BIG BUCKS components like the traction battery and all the electronic boxes in the engine area/transmission area have a 8 yr/160K km warranty.  Now we move on to the rest of the vehicle

3. - The Vehicle lights, TPM, suspension, ball joints area have is extended 2 yrs/10K Km except for the lights & shocks which brings that area up from 4 yrs/100K Km to 6 yrs/110K km for most items except for lights & shocks as mentioned

4.  Multimedia system, shock absorber, belt, dust cover.......USB charging port area 2 yrs/10K km is added which brings the total up to 5 yrs/70K Km

5.  Lead Acid 12V battery: no extended warranty

6.  A/C filters, button battery, brake pad,........bulbs, fuse, relay area: no extended warranty

7.  All  parts of the vehicle except parts listed above......please refer to instructions area: 2 yrs/10K km extended warranty bringing the total warranty in this area to 8 yrs/160K km.

So, all the BIG BUCKS items that could fail like the traction battery and Drive Unit/Components have a 8 yr/160K km warranty and this is what BYD Thailand spotlights.   And the remaining areas can range from 1 year/20K km up to 8 yr/160K Km which don't get a spotlight..  Like many warranties the coverage varies.   But as mentioned the BIG BUCKS, MAJOR DRIVE Components have a 8 yr/160K Km warranty in Thailand.

The "Basic" BYD Warranty...does not show any Extended Warranty which varies from region to region, country to country, etc.  Refer to my words above which talks the extended/addtional warranty to be added to some of the basic warranty areas below.

image.png.90f7106d4c84f8207210758a473e0dfd.png

• Love It 2