NE man takes an afternoon snooze in the park.....goodbye 80K that he needed for his brother's brain tumor

webfact

11 hours ago, bannork said:

As explained, you don't pay till after the operation 

I can't comment on government hospitals but when I took my ex for an operation at a private hospital, I had to pay 30% up front.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ningnong said:

It would be an elaborate stunt to try and pull off with the third party people involved.

Nevertheless, I find it very strange that he knows his wife's phone number. Most people simply have numbers in their phone's memory and just select the person, not the number.  I can't remember a single number that's in my phone because I never actually have to dial them.

12 hours ago, bannork said:

A lot of upcountry folk are not tech savvy..Cash is still the usual mode of payment.

Agree, however I know my mother-in-law has on a few occasions walked into the bank and ask them to do a transfer for her to another outside account, staff always willing to assisting Meh

9 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Gambled and drank it away. Concocted this BS story to become the victim rather than the drunk, good for nuthin' he is. :coffee1:

Apparently he has 4 brothers who all helped to pay for the costs. After hearing his story, the hospital said he could pay in installments. A benefactor offered to help but the victim had no bank account so an account was set up in his name 

From CCTV cameras, the police said the suspect was a man in his twenties wearing a cap who left the park on a motorcycle.

If they have the number plate or a clear picture of his face I reckon they'll catch him 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bannork said:

Apparently he has 4 brothers who all helped to pay for the costs. After hearing his story, the hospital said he could pay in installments. A benefactor offered to help but the victim had no bank account so an account was set up in his name 

From CCTV cameras, the police said the suspect was a man in his twenties wearing a cap who left the park on a motorcycle.

If they have the number plate or a clear picture of his face I reckon they'll catch him 

OK...possibly. Possibly coconspirator? Seen it too many times here. People are really good at being bad...and money is always the main motivator. Ingenious when comes to the nefarious.

But hoping his story pans out and they catch the thief (and NE Napping Man isn't involved) and get his money back. 

10 hours ago, bannork said:

They can confirm if his brother is having an operation on Thursday costing 80,000 baht.

Yet another absurd comment. The credibility of his brother’s terrible situation is not being questioned, as you well know. I have not seen one single comment on here doubting the poor man’s medical condition.

What is being questioned is whether or not he actually had 80k in cash on his person; and you are proposing the ludicrous idea that confirmation of the cost of the operation somehow establishes that he was carrying 80k in cash … illogical contrarian nonsense.

2 hours ago, bannork said:

Because you pay after the operation.

Nope, most hospitals now want payment of at least 50% or preferably payment in full, before prearranged operations or procedures; so, he was already in the hospital and should have made the payment or at least a 50% deposit to the hospital’s cashier … guess why he didn’t  ¯\_()_/¯

18 hours ago, Mad mick said:

Damn Sad for him & Bro all concerned money + cell phone in bag taken for walk, thieves are opertunisistic scum hanging out at hospital easy pickings maybe , Was in Thai hospital on Koh Samui prior to op and treatment paid up like deposit balance after  placed credit card as collateral being foreigner ,  maybe things have changed no deposit no op in old days sad story if true ???? 

I was in hospital in Koh Samui recently, and treatment was expected to cost app 20,000 baht. I had to pay 30,000 baht up front AND leave my passport with them as deposit in case the treatment was more, and I did a runner. I thought that it was illegal for anyone to ask someone to leave their passport as collateral for anything, and they already had 30,000 baht cash, but all they would say was that it was "hospital policy", and they made it quite clear that I would not get treatment unless I complied.

34 minutes ago, sambum said:

I was in hospital in Koh Samui recently, and treatment was expected to cost app 20,000 baht. I had to pay 30,000 baht up front AND leave my passport with them as deposit in case the treatment was more, and I did a runner. I thought that it was illegal for anyone to ask someone to leave their passport as collateral for anything, and they already had 30,000 baht cash, but all they would say was that it was "hospital policy", and they made it quite clear that I would not get treatment unless I complied.

Koh Samui has probably had a lot of cases of Westerners having motorbike accidents and then not having the funds for treatment.

It's different in Udon where thankfully there are few tourists below the age of 60.

Plus it's a government hospital. I'm sure paying the day before or on the day is fine .

BTW the police said the perpetrator's nickname was Nan and it was believed he had left the area 

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Ok . they did not ask for passport always had photo copy on phone , only gave estimate of medical cost paid like deposit , cost for medication after care paid prior to leaving at administration & pharmacy at hospital other than that had no issues, did not need to do runner needed medical attention large gash on foot from steel reo bar left exposed walked right into it was bent over unfortunately at foot level day time just did not see it ,

11 hours ago, bannork said:

Why? What's happened to you?

I had hundreds of thousands of £'s that I had in a plastic shopping bag 'stolen' when I fell asleep outside 7/11, and I needed that for my 7 emotional support cats plane tickets. 

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Nevertheless, I find it very strange that he knows his wife's phone number.

Isaan folk can be quite good at remembering numbers hoping for lucky lottery numbers.

He may also simply dial his wife's number every time he calls her or in situations where he is asked for a phone number he may at times provide his wife's number.

• Like 1