How Is a Retirement Visa Simpler Than a Marriage Visa?

On 4/5/2023 at 6:44 AM, daveAustin said:

800k needs to be banked 3 months before application and maintained at or above 2 months after, and never drop below 400k for the rest of the year, is that right?

Two months before and three months after. Easiest to avoid problems is just to maintain an 800k balance continuously, and possibly even to use a separate account to avoid accidentally dropping below the required balance. If on a retirement extension, going forward, about every three to six months, get a stamped statement from the bank covering the previous period. The only annoyance with the retirement extension is that Immigration may want to see 12 months of bank statements to confirm your bank balance hour by hour over the year. (That will not be necessary the first year you make the switch from Marriage to retirement extension.) At least Bangkok Bank needs several days to provide a 12-month statement, but can provide up to a six month statement on the spot.

On 4/4/2023 at 7:57 PM, renaissanc said:

Thank you for your reply. I can't do it myself because I am married and my wife and I have done the annual renewal since 1984. We've never used an agent. I'm just asking if there is any difference in the documents apart from what I've mentioned.

Only 400,000 baht in the bank.

21 minutes ago, crouchpeter said:

Only 400,000 baht in the bank.

Regards financial requirements the difference is not just just 400k vs 800k...

It's ongoing requirements till the next extension. 

Very simplistic post. 

Edited by DrJack54

On 4/5/2023 at 6:43 PM, Tuvoc said:

Yes - both the last 2 years that I have renewed my retirement extension, I left the country the same week. A marriage extension would not have been possible if I read things here correctly. And I did them at the earliest opportunity.

You can still leave the country while your marriage visa is under consideration.

2 minutes ago, crouchpeter said:

You can still leave the country while your marriage visa is under consideration.

For how long.

Your previous 2 posts don't make much sense to me.

Leave country for how long while under consideration period.

Also would require reentry permit.

The final stamp is a definite issue if travel is necessary. 

On 4/6/2023 at 12:36 PM, glegolo18 said:

You speak of 2 completely different kind of expats. where 1 is the argumentative one (as you said) thinking he knows it all... And the other one is very often a complete novis, left everything to wifey and do not understand the process at all..

But I can tell you that there is a huge crowd of expats, knowing their way around Immigration and the rules, and are fully capable of performing an extension of stay based on retirement. I think that to achieve this level, you really need to show some interest and be part of the process, and not take the easy way out and sleep it out, and let old wifey take charge....

You talk as if it's not manly letting your wife organize everything. I couldn't be treated in a government hospital without my wife present, and many other bureaucratic necessities where an interpreter is vital. And actually, at immigration, you do go and sit in a corner while your wife arranges everything.

• Haha 1

A marriage extension is never really a problem every year. Only bad thing about it for me is that I declared having 3 children. So every year until they are 20 I have to produce their birth certificates and photographs. Which seems crazy to me.

On 4/4/2023 at 4:57 PM, renaissanc said:

Thank you for your reply. I can't do it myself because I am married and my wife and I have done the annual renewal since 1984. We've never used an agent. I'm just asking if there is any difference in the documents apart from what I've mentioned.

Stick with what you know best.

At the end of the day the pandemic proved the country was more favourable to those married than retired.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

A marriage extension is never really a problem every year. Only bad thing about it for me is that I declared having 3 children. So every year until they are 20 I have to produce their birth certificates and photographs. Which seems crazy to me.

Way of the world, every year I have to give UK immigration details of my wife's deceased parents. What's even more crazy is having to tell them the details of the UK visas she has had, don't they know?

Thailand is no where near the top of the crazy scale.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, crouchpeter said:

Leave the country for 2 or 3 months ?  Last I heard, you had to present yourself back at the immigration office after 30 days. Could be wrong.

18 hours ago, sandyf said:

At the end of the day the pandemic proved the country was more favourable to those married than retired.

That is very true, and if in the future things develop that way and it is advantageous to switch to the marriage extension, I'll do that. In the meantime I find the retirement extensions very easy and also approved straight away, no consideration period.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

That is very true, and if in the future things develop that way and it is advantageous to switch to the marriage extension, I'll do that. In the meantime I find the retirement extensions very easy and also approved straight away, no consideration period.

Quite, each to their own and with the OP's history why change.

I started on marriage then changed to retirement, the embassy took away the letter so ended up back on marriage. On a UK pension I am not going to live long enough to ever fund retirement again so not something I think about.

20 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That's interesting. Which office is that? In Hua Hin I still have to produce a copy of our daughter's birth certificate every year, and she's 34 already.

On 4/4/2023 at 4:59 PM, DrJack54 said:

For extension based on marriage only 400k in bank for two months prior to application for extension and maintained durning under consideration period.

If the financial requirements were the same for marriage and retirement NO ONE would extend based on marriage from a non O .

The only group that would still opt for based on marriage is the folk doing extensions from a non O-A to avoid the insurance requirement. 

Yes exactly. It's the lower financial requirements that make marriage extension worth while. Only 400,000 in the bank for 2 months prior (or 40,000 per month) and as far as I'm aware no restrictions on keeping that money after the extension is granted. I believe the retirement extension has to have 800,000 three months prior to application (or 65,000 a month) and you have to leave a balance - not sure of the rules on that tho'. BTW the 30 day consideration period is because your application is sent to head office (Chiang Mai or Bangkok) for approval whereas retirement extensions are granted locally.

20 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's interesting. Which office is that? In Hua Hin I still have to produce a copy of our daughter's birth certificate every year, and she's 34 already.

For me it's Buriram but Ubon Joe confirmed that 20 years old is across the board.

4 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

I believe the retirement extension has to have 800,000 three months prior to application

It's 800k two months prior and three months after application.

Not below 400k at other times.

Regards under consideration period for marriage extension it's recommended to maintain the 400k in account till final stamp in the pp. 

58 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

For me it's Buriram but Ubon Joe confirmed that 20 years old is across the board.

I guess it's just yet another example of different offices doing things differently. Although they've never asked for photos of her, only her birth certificate. Also (again unlike requirements mentioned elsewhere) they only want 4 photos of myself and my wife.

I should just mention that for me, having come in originally on an O-A visa, the main advantage of a marriage extension (and the only reason I chose it) is to avoid having to change the perfectly good health insurance policy I already have, to get one including outpatient cover which I don't want or need and would almost double my premiums. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, Tuvoc said:

Yes - both the last 2 years that I have renewed my retirement extension, I left the country the same week. A marriage extension would not have been possible if I read things here correctly. And I did them at the earliest opportunity.

They don't keep your passport.

On 4/10/2023 at 3:26 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

I don't want or need and would almost double my premiums. 

On 4/10/2023 at 3:26 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

I guess it's just yet another example of different offices doing things differently. Although they've never asked for photos of her, only her birth certificate. Also (again unlike requirements mentioned elsewhere) they only want 4 photos of myself and my wife.

I should just mention that for me, having come in originally on an O-A visa, the main advantage of a marriage extension (and the only reason I chose it) is to avoid having to change the perfectly good health insurance policy I already have, to get one including outpatient cover which I don't want or need and would almost double my premiums. 

What the hell has medical insurance got to do with my annual visa extension?

45 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

What the hell has medical insurance got to do with my annual visa extension?

You are actually applying to extend your permission to stay, that was originally granted under your original visa. If that original visa was a Non-Immigrant 'O-A' visa then insurance is required.

I suspect that your permission is based on a Non-'O'. so the answer is Diddly-squat. 

On 4/4/2023 at 4:26 PM, renaissanc said:

I've heard that a Retirement Visa requires fewer documents.

Does depend a lot on the office. just did my annual Retirement extension yesterday (19 April 2023 in Phetchabun) easier this year than any previous extension at this office, contents list has been compiled from requests for items over a number of years, you're not told if something is no longer required.

1. They provide a pack of 5 documents for completion, the first four are also applicable to marriage extensions.

1.1 TM7 (normal) extension application form (has preprinted Immigration stamps)

1.2 SMT2 - Acknowledgement of General Terms & Conditions related to extension

1.3 Acknowledgement of Overstay Penalties

1.4 Sheet for a house map

1.5 Acknowledgement of Retirement Funding Requirements (not in marriage pack)

2. Passport and related items

2.1 Copy face page

2.2 Copy of all passport pages with visa or extension stamps

2.3 Copy of TM6 Departure card

2.4 Copy of latest TM47 receipt (requested to show original as not stapled in passport, also I do mine on-line)

2.5 Copy of TM30 receipt

2.6 Copy of Yellow Book as proof of address, used prior to TM30 enforcement

3.1 Bank "Ownership" letter

3.2 A 12-month statement of transactions

3.3 Copy of all pages of bankbook, including front name sheet, note in 2020, I tried to give them only copies of sufficient pages to cover the last 12 months (actually went back to 2018 due to lack of use of the account), wasn't acceptable had to be all pages back to opening account in 2014

I submit as 3 packs hence 1.1, 2.1, etc.

The submission this year was 22 pages + 1 photo + 1,900 THB and 2 visits to their new office building. No photos of wife, family and house, no need for village head or other witnesses (rumor says they may be coming in the future) and no need for home visit (again rumor says otherwise).

Next year should be the same 22 pages (only 3 from bank/bankbook will change), unless something changes, like "new boss wants".

Hope this helps.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, crouchpeter said:

They don't keep your passport.

In regards to a marriage extension and leaving the country shortly after application - No they don't keep your passport, but what if you aren't in-country to present yourself back to immigration at the end of the 30 day point consideration period ?