Man returns 75,500 baht he found at Bangkok ATM

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thai man was praised for his honesty after he returned 75,500 baht he found at a Bangkok petrol station cash machine to its rightful owner.

I hope he was rewarded for his honesty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

Not sure why you think it was a deposit when the article says it was in the dispenser   either way it doesn't matter, the guy didnt take it and turned it in. Good on him 

Try reading the full article in the link. Usually more detail there.

Kriangsak revealed that he went to the petrol station to deposit his money. He thought his transaction was successful and left the ATM without checking.

Must have been a CDM, not ATM, they handle up to 100,000 in one go, just a bit stupid of him not to verify that the deposit had gone through properly before leaving.  He was very lucky a honest man found them. On the other hand if he had the camera inside the CDM might have made him easy to find.

In a CDM, it is the same tray (dispenser) that you deposit money and retrieve money if you redraw.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Well looking at the photo it is probably 7,500 baht not 75,500 baht.  There is definitely not that much money in his hand.

You bet on that?

80000 Baht hot off the press and my 300 Baht lenses:

20230402_074440.jpg

5 hours ago, rwill said:

Well looking at the photo it is probably 7,500 baht not 75,500 baht.  There is definitely not that much money in his hand.

Good to see how honest some people are. But yes, badly written article, as there are clearly only a few 1,000-baht banknotes in the pic. No way, they would not show off all 76 or more notes...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Doesn't make much sense. Are there 2 in 1  ATM/Deposit machines? The guy who found it says it was in the dispenser. That's not possible. If the deposited money was in the deposit box, how did this guy see it? They open and close only with an ATM card, or card details, right? And the guy left the money there as he thought the transaction was complete? No receipt? No counting? Often there's a duff note that has to be refed. And on screen confirmation prompts. And how did the police trace the owner? CCTV?

Just to prove how unobservant I am. Was just at my local gas station where I found two machines side-by-side. One a narrow cash dispensing ATM property of bank ''Yellow', the other wider one a CDM (Deposit) ATM property of bank 'Blue'

The 'finder' in the OP story, if standing at the cash dispensing machine of his location would be able to see into the hopper of an adjacent CDM. This doesn't explain why the cash depositor thought the CDM had taken his money. No mention of a receipt which he certainly should have requested during his input.

Alas, most of us rich farangs, worship the dispensing machines and never have any cash left to donate to CDMs charities. ????

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Are there 2 in 1  ATM/Deposit machines?

I would say every CDM, Cash Deposit Machine can be used as ATM, I do use them regularly both to deposit and redraw. Good thing is that many times if there is a cue line to the ATM's there is no one queue to the CDM so I redraw there instead. Seams like most people has no idea they can be used as ATM.

Only bad thing with the CDM is if you want to deposit to another bank or same bank in another district there is a rather hefty fee. Like 50 baht or so. Quite a lot depending on the amount you deposit.

5 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

Must have been a CDM, not ATM, they handle up to 100,000 in one go, just a bit stupid of him not to verify that the deposit had gone through properly before leaving.  He was very lucky a honest man found them. On the other hand if he had the camera inside the CDM might have made him easy to find.

In a CDM, it is the same tray (dispenser) that you deposit money and retrieve money if you redraw.

A camera would not be necessary. The next person to use the machine after the depositor HAD to be the person who found the money and he would be traceable from the banks records. So Abdulrorsa was a wise man to hand it in. His name BTW would indicate the he is a Muslim and contrary to popular (usually ill-informed) opinion, Muslims are generally honest people.