10,000-Baht Digital Wallet For Each Thai Pledged In Pheu Thai Campaign

webfact

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Ya think? 

...and the Thai media almost celebrates in it's complete numbness of what this is...or what it appears to be.

Whatever happened to challenging and questioning within the hallowed hall of journalism?

Deformation..... thin ice here in LOS

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

Wow ,Straight out Buying votes, who's next and how much are they paying.

Isn't this Legal corruption?  

yes and after they get banned again from elections they say it is the evil military dictatorship that bans them.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

What shops and what stores? Must be thousands of villages that only have some mom and pop shops and a few 'restuatant' type places within a 4km radius.

maybe it can be used on shopee or lazada. On the last village at the end of the world you have high speed internet and delivery.

4 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

Buying the Vote!

You do realize that the current regime introduced a MASSIVE cashless welfare card program in 2017? And that it continues to this day with some 14 + million people (22 m tried to enroll in the most recent period), and 48 billion baht budgeted. Monthly stipends range from 200 - 300 baht with additional kickers of up to 500 baht.

New round of state welfare card benefits to cover 14.5 million Thais

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40025272

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

You do realize that the current regime introduced a MASSIVE cashless welfare card program in 2017? And that it continues to this day with some 14 + million people (22 m tried to enroll in the most recent period), and 48 billion baht budgeted. Monthly stipends range from 200 - 300 baht with additional kickers of up to 500 baht.

New round of state welfare card benefits to cover 14.5 million Thais

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40025272

Indeed. I'm always amused when I see a 'blue carder' getting out of or into their Merc. Amused might not be right word.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Oh dear.....

????????

Every tax and spend policy has winners and losers. Whether it is giving health care to the poor, or direct payments such as these which are less targetted, there is an argument that it is better than the status quo where the poor get little. A payment like this is not that unusual. For example, in my locality a similar payment was made to all households as a one off payment, to help with utility bills. If your concerns are due to potential inflation or I am missing something it would be nice to hear it rather than your normal short cynical posts. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thai people get blind and forget easy when they see the Baht symbol.... and politicians know that. I can see an increase tax next year to cover that and I won't see a sh*t about that money..only for Thai people!????

Edited by Joseph98765
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

And no way they would just add it to the government debt. They would probably recover it via higher taxes (e.g. VAT)...

of course....I said the same. Expect an increase somewhere... how easy is for them to put their hands in the money bag and throw it to the sky.

Edited by Joseph98765
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That’s right. My bet is on higher VAT and import taxes (e.g. for imported food items), so who would not benefit but asked to pay? That’s right...

How happy I feel now reading this after I paid to tax revenue department my taxes for 2022. 

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

What is a Digital Wallet please?

I think it's an app. For those without a phone app vendors/lenders can facilitate.

1 hour ago, 2baht said:

And how much of that is squandered through corruption?

15% - 30%

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

They would probably recover it via higher taxes (e.g. VAT)...

VAT is supposed to be 10%, it's been "legislated" down to 7% "temporarily". Set to rise to 10% on 30 September 2023, but it will be suppressed again.

1 hour ago, Joseph98765 said:

of course....I said the same. Expect an increase somewhere... how easy is for them to put their hands in the money bag and throw it to the sky.

They have done this or something like it every election.  

Tablet for every student

200000 baht tax refund to buy a new car ( might have been DEMS)

rice plan

loans for farmers

So far the PT promises are interesting

600 baht minimum wage

25,000 baht minimum monthly wage by 2027

25000 monthly wage guarantee for BA holders (even those working at Rotten Ronnies and Starbuck.)

now 10000 baht for every thai so that they can spend it and make the rich richer.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Ya think? 

...and the Thai media almost celebrates in it's complete numbness of what this is...or what it appears to be.

Whatever happened to challenging and questioning within the hallowed hall of journalism?

Journalism and Thailand can never be used in the same sentence or story, a complete conflict of terms. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why not 100,000? And why not a refill every month?

After all, it's other peoples' money. Give it away!

And why? Does it make any sense? Can Thailand afford it?

Or is it: We promise everything so that people vote for us so that the criminal fugitive will be in control again. And then he will have his revenge and he will make himself and his family even richer.

Does that make any sense for Thais and Thailand? No. But will the uneducated masses vote again for populist policies? Of course.

If I was a Thai, all I would want to do is be able to make sure that whichever party "wins" this election, that there will be no soldiers or anyone with any connections to the military, involved with them what so ever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

Blatently! Not even bothering to hide it now. And who will pay for it?

Come on Prayut. Can't you up it to 15,000? ????

He probably could with all the money he will have accomplished since the "coup" that never was in 2014. Please don't give him any ideas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

Where will they get this digital wallet? From an app store? Only online?

Will it be free to download?

How will shops be able to accept this digital money and convert  into real money?

Will they need to register?

Will they have to have special terminals installed?

Will they charge a %age for the service?

How will they prevent someone spending it more than 4Kms from their registered house?

Very valid questions. But a typical Thai bar girl would answer (of course only after you paid a lady drink for her) "You think too much" ????.

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

How will shops be able to accept this digital money and convert  into real money?

How will they prevent someone spending it more than 4Kms from their registered house?

Questions, questions, questions! ???? Who knows!

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That obviously doesn't matter. The only purpose is to the Thaksin back. And obviously he doesn't want to use his own money to buy the votes. 

I wonder who will have accomplished the most personal wealth during their time as PM.

The unelected Prayut, or the properly elected Thaksin. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

They play this one so evil, first of all buying the vote and then second knowing most are remote province people. There is nothing much to buy within a 4KM radius often I guess.

Same it is useless for those registered in the province, even they work and live in for example Bangkok since 20 years, like my parents in law.

Anyway, how is it not illegal, to offer this in exchange for votes?

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

And what type of digital ccy is this ? Thai Baht or a chance to bring in a Thai CBDC ?

• Thumbs Up 1