Thanathorn: Erase ‘Exaggerated’ Fears Of Senators Backing Minority Government

webfact

image.jpeg

Progressive Movement leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit campaigning for the Move Forward Party recently. Photos: Thai Rath

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

PROGRESSIVE MOVEMENT leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit has advised all parties contesting the May 14 general election as well as members of the public to overcome “exaggerated” fears of senators casting yea votes for head of a minority government instead of a majority one.

Thanathorn suggested over the weekend that one not be preoccupied with such “exaggerated” fears which would otherwise only compromise democratic rule by which, he said, most of the 250 senators will finally abide to the extent that a person being endorsed by a decisive majority among all 500 MPs following the nationwide election be successfully named prime minister.

Given democratic rule under which a prime minister practically performs as head of government which takes control of a majority of MPs, most senators will not dare to vote for anyone else who might only be endorsed by a minority of the elected lawmakers, Thanathorn concluded.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/04/09/thanathorn-erase-exaggerated-fears-of-senators-backing-minority-government/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-04-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bob smith said:

up to him.

he better get his tanks ready if thats the case cos the feces gonna hit the fan!

I'm sure all is in the making as we speak. 

Same as it ever was.

Your bit above. Are you suggesting revolution will break out? ????

I don't think so. 

The usual dreads that speak as if they know what's going on. 

Edited by zzaa09

19 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Your bit above. Are you suggesting revolution will break out? ????

I don't think so. 

there will be no revolution.

Thais have too short a memory for that sadly.

But there will be trouble. big trouble.

2020 will seem like childs play in comparison. i've got my popcorn ready and depending on how things go my helmet and mask.

Edited by bob smith

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

there will be no revolution.

Thais have too short a memory for that sadly.

But there will be trouble. big trouble.

2020 will seem like childs play in comparison. i've got my popcorn ready and depending on how things go my helmet and mask.

????????

What Tanathorn said has legs. His family is in the elite group and his uncle is a senior minister in the junta government. He is in a unique position to know plenty of the mindset of senators. 

Of the 250 senators, 50 were not appointed by the NCPO but from the business and social sectors and may not be loyal to the junta government. The 194 appointed by NCPO term of 6 years will expire next year and may be looking at their self interest rather than sticking with the fortune of the fading military parties. Recently a wife of the military appointed senator joined PTP. Perhaps a glimpse of the mindset of the NCPO appointed senators. 

24 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

What Tanathorn said has legs. His family is in the elite group and his uncle is a senior minister in the junta government. He is in a unique position to know plenty of the mindset of senators. 

Of the 250 senators, 50 were not appointed by the NCPO but from the business and social sectors and may not be loyal to the junta government. The 194 appointed by NCPO term of 6 years will expire next year and may be looking at their self interest rather than sticking with the fortune of the fading military parties. Recently a wife of the military appointed senator joined PTP. Perhaps a glimpse of the mindset of the NCPO appointed senators. 

His uncle is no longer a senior Govt figure as he as joined PTP!!

Military appointed business people... no one should forget them and what they have been part off over the past 8 years

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

His uncle is no longer a senior Govt figure as he as joined PTP!!

Military appointed business people... no one should forget them and what they have been part off over the past 8 years

Thanks. Grammar mistake. Should be “ was” a senior government minister. 

If I am correct, as of 2022 only 104 senators have military credential. May be a factor. 

One can only hope he is right. I cannot imagine what might take place if Prayuth attempts to steal the office of PM, once again. Those 250 crony senators are beyond toxic, and the Thai people need to figure out a way to get rid of them, no matter what it takes, and by whatever means necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Some sense at last.

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Of the 250 senators, 50 were not appointed by the NCPO but from the business and social sectors and may not be loyal to the junta government. The 194 appointed by NCPO term of 6 years will expire next year

Six were reserved for the armed forces "top brass" (ie., NCPO connected?). Those from the 10 professional and social groups were selected by panels representing those groups (who decided the panel members during Prayut's "occupation"?). Most "independents" choose a group with approval of the seven Election Commission members who had been (I think prior to the 2018 General Election) selected by the NLA previously appointed by the junta. 

Recall that before the 2014 coup, the Constitution proved that 50% of senators were elected and 50% appointed. After a new charter constitution written by the junta, elected senators were eliminated - as is the case now.

Until the Senate is 100% elected as is the current NLA, a full democracy cannot exist.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

The man is an absolute charlatan, imagine, giving your mum some shares in a defunct media company. We certainly had a narrow escape last time round!

Don't agree, and that's not the whole story.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Six were reserved for the armed forces "top brass" (ie., NCPO connected?). Those from the 10 professional and social groups were selected by panels representing those groups (who decided the panel members during Prayut's "occupation"?). Most "independents" choose a group with approval of the seven Election Commission members who had been (I think prior to the 2018 General Election) selected by the NLA previously appointed by the junta. 

Recall that before the 2014 coup, the Constitution proved that 50% of senators were elected and 50% appointed. After a new charter constitution written by the junta, elected senators were eliminated - as is the case now.

Until the Senate is 100% elected as is the current NLA, a full democracy cannot exist.

But what chances of a constitutional rewrite? The bureaucratic maze of drafting committees, parliamentary voting, reviews etc etc. Maybe they have already drafted a complete constitutional rewrite, and this is just a hare let lose for the hounds, while the fox goes free!

Edited by bradiston

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One can only hope he is right. I cannot imagine what might take place if Prayuth attempts to steal the office of PM, once again. Those 250 crony senators are beyond toxic, and the Thai people need to figure out a way to get rid of them, no matter what it takes, and by whatever means necessary. 

Most definitely. There needs to be a big shake up in one form or another. Hopefully sooner than later.

Keeping with the topic at hand, I would be more than dreamingly curious to wonder what would really come about if by some miraculous happenstance that Move Forward were to conquer all......gather an overwhelming parliamentary majority [minus the traditional military cronyism] and premiership, etc. 

What kind of models and practice would they set? 

Policies for the betterment of the commons?

Could they hold the attention and support of the good Thai populace? 

Perpetuating a gradual change that would be representation for the future? 

Or......might it be the same old boondoggle that we've come to live with?