Florida’s Anti-Drag Bill Is So Extreme It Would Ban The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Hair the Musical

onthedarkside

image.png.cbfa46cdcb133715dbc7ba90479d1f27.png

Florida Republicans are pushing forward a bill that seeks to ban drag shows from allowing someone under the age of 18 to be in attendance.

But the bill is so vaguely worded, using the term “adult live performance,” that even Republican lawmakers have admitted it would prevent a high school kid from watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show or even the musical Hair.

The bill also explicitly targets Pride parades and celebrations, by preventing a government entity from issuing permits to an organization that may put on such a performance.

https://newrepublic.com/post/171638/floridas-anti-drag-bill-extreme-ban-rocky-horror-picture-show-hair-musical

image.png.ec702b030ee5696d014ec0519b8f1230.png

I would think "Some Like It Hot" would be banned? And "As You Like It"?

And all of these TV shows featuring drag competitions should be banned too?

It's all about "protecting the children".

Yo La Tengo Dress in Drag at Nashville Show to Protest Tennessee’s Law Restricting Drag Performances

https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/yo-la-tengo-dress-drag-nashville-show-protest-tennessee-law-drag-performances-1235286414/

• Like 1

Just now, Skipalongcassidy said:

If the parents and schools are failing... which they are

Are they? Got some evidence for that? It is true that Florida does have a shortage of teachers but that's because they pay them so little. I believe 48th in the nation.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Are they? Got some evidence for that? It is true that Florida does have a shortage of teachers but that's because they pay them so little. I believe 48th in the nation.

Had the opportunity to play a game of trivial pursuit recently that was hosted by a young lady with a brand new diploma from our local high school... she could not even read coherently from the boxtop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show as a young student.  It didn't make me want to put on a dress, nor did it turn me gay.  Just sayin.....

Yes, I got sexually abused twice when I was young, and I did not become a rapist either.

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

From schools... I would hope so

Really?  Old Milton Berle comedy routines should be banned from schools?

It seems what was considered family entertainment and good fun in the 1950's is too radical for modern conservatives.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I mentioned earlier already, I won't look them up for you.

And if I would look for them, I would certainly not publish them.

From the landing page of the World News forum.

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

And you wouldn't publish them here? Do you thinkk the members of aseannow.com need protection also?

Reported post and replies removed:

15. You will not discriminate or post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, nationality, disability, medical history, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, paternity, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other irrelevant factor.

A Florida Republican who sponsored an anti-drag bill 'can't answer' whether his wife's charity event featuring 'sultry performers' would be criminalized under his own law

A Florida Republican couldn't say whether his wife's charity event would flout his anti-drag bill.

The wife of Rep. Randy Fine is hosting a gala featuring "sultry performers," and kids have attended in the past.

Rep. Fine told Insider that he doesn't believe children should be invited to such events.

https://www.businessinsider.com/florida-republicans-wifes-charity-event-flout-anti-drag-law-2023-4

16 hours ago, still kicking said:

Yes, I got sexually abused twice when I was young, and I did not become a rapist either.

Are you equating a drag show with being sexually abused?  I doubt that you intended to minimize what happened to you, but that's exactly what you're doing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1