Top 10 reasons to retire in Thailand in 2023

webfact

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

In fairness, this has not been my experience at the Govt Hospital I go to. I have no suspicion of any unnecessary treatments. Drug prices are cheaper than I can get outside. Things seem to be charged at cost.

Private hospitals are another matter.

I understand what you are saying, there are always exceptions, just like a very small amount of farangs think that the unelected caretaker government have done a good job in running Thailand.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I understand what you are saying, there are always exceptions, just like a very small amount of farangs think that the unelected caretaker government have done a good job in running Thailand.

I was relaying my direct experience at the one and only Govt hospital I have used. I don't think I understand the need for your second comment about Governments and small amounts of falangs. What point were you trying to make?

Edited by mokwit

4 hours ago, Gknrd said:

29-30000 people a year dead because of air pollution. Plunk down 25K in a Thai bank for 6 months a year living (you need to vacate 6 months if you want to breath). Some of the highest ATM withdrawal rates in the world. Immigration hassles.  Military run government catering to the CCP.

Yea, sign me up.  

Most of the issues above can be sorted with enough funds applied...wrt the government who cares, we are not in the electoral roll here, as long as they don't bother me all is good. I've been here more than 5 years now, the only time I had to deal with the police was to file a report about lost driving licence in order to get a replacement.

23 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

If the government was doing a great job Thailand would be like Singapore, and most retirees would have self-deported themselves due to high cost of living.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I was relaying my direct experience at the one and only Govt hospital I have used. I don't think I understand the need for your second comment about Governments and small amounts of falangs. What point were you trying to make?

"What point were you trying to make?"  You mean you don't understand??

1 minute ago, suzannegoh said:

I can’t at all agree that healthcare is a plus when retiring in Thailand, it's more of a reason to stay in farangland.  Though it seems like most people on social media think that the medical care here is grand, I’ve had some alarming experiences with Thai hospitals.  And since you’re not going to be able to take advantage of whatever healthcare plan your home country has for the elderly, you’re going to have to pay cash for your care and you’re likely to have trouble getting privately underwritten medical insurances after a certain age. 

Maybe people confuse being seen quickly with quality of treatment.

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

Was 200k->400k->800k. Existing extensions were grandfathered. The recent requirement to keep Bt400k year 'round was not. This is a disturbing precedent, especially when Bt3m sees to be their new figure for LT stayer visas. A jump from 800k to 3m without grandfathering does seem too much of a jump, but who knows, they seem to be little concerned with the consequences of their actions.

If I need to have 3mil bht in an account it's either an agent or off to another country. I would have no choice.

4 hours ago, LittleBear57 said:

If it wasn't for the wife and kid, I would be off.

Why?

Pollution, air quality, really isn't healthy. It may not have an immediate effect but it is slowly killing you.

Driving. So much is wrong here, Too much to mention except it's nearly always foreigners fault even when it clearly isn't. Which takes me on to the next issue.

Corruption, it is everywhere.

Dual pricing, it's the principle more than the cost. 

Medical care is quite expensive, not cheap except perhaps if you are a US citizen. If it's not expensive it's often poor.

The heat and humidity is too much this time of year.

I still eat bread , potatoes ,cheese and pasta etc. and these are not cheap at all by western standards. Don't know where you can get a meal for 1 US dollar starts around two here and that's at the markets, perhaps a few noodle shops are cheaper. Even beer and wine are more expensive here.

Immigration is always an issue even if you have it all planned, never know what they will throw at you, next time. 

However I am still here and continue to try to make the most of Thailand which does have some benefits over the west. Cheap holiday accommodation I try and go away as often as possible.

So true and Thailand is certainly no nirvana. The only thing it has going for it is the cheap women.

3 minutes ago, Screaming said:

So true and Thailand is certainly no nirvana. The only thing it has going for it is the cheap women.

And cheaper rent. 

And almost every other service from Taxis to plumbers, to internet. 

Also the fresh ingredients and rock bottom live seafood prices at almost any market is hard to pass up.

I quit drinking, and I can live without cheese and $10 breakfast cereal, so the joke is on them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Thanks and very much so. It was the financial demands and associated bureaucracy that drove me across the border into hassle free Cambodia after 20 years of retirement up north in Thailand. I am single and have no family ties. Now been living in enjoyable retirement for 3 years in Siem Reap. For starters, no 90 day reports here and no 800,000 baht in bank scam!! I have access to all my money in a Cambodian bank account at any time. Visa application very simple.

I didn't mind SR, except all over *Scambodia", well it's just constant wee scams. The washerwoman even stole the cloth laundry bag I borrowed from my hotel! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Nowhere is the same as 20 years ago….Thailand still, for me at least, offers an easy lifestyle..it’s still quite cheap..rental homes and apartments are plentiful everywhere..houses are cheap to build..the medical system is very good (choose carefully)..to name a few...

medical system is indeed very good if you can afford it or have a good health insurance

• Like 2

Interesting thread - especially @spidermike007 comments most of which i agree with.

However, the comments about health costs obviously apply to the US, but when one is from UK that changes dramatically. Despite what one may read about certain parts of the NHS, in my area it's excellent and I've had some superb treatment completely FREE for 1 or 2 major issues. Only yesterday I contacted my GP who arranged an X-ray for me in 2 hours - this is to be followed by a CAT scan later this week or next. Both those procedures would be very expensive in Thailand and ridiculously expensive in US.

As I'm nearing the age of 70 I realise that this situation isn't going to get better, so shall continue doing what Mike mentioned - 2 to 3 months a year in Thailand (the UK winter!) and rest of the time UK and short term travel to other places.

The other issues about whether Thailand is "better" are, of course subjective and personal but as I'm in the fortunate position of having enough disposable income to enjoy myself I think I've made the right decision.  I came back to UK from Thailand 2 weeks ago and, for the first time, due to my now being a Pensioner, had more money in my UK current account than when I left! ????  Whilst i was away, i received my annual Pension increase - if I lived in Thailand, this wouldn't happen of course.

Actually a good friend of mine, who lives in Loei told me, only last week, that he wishes he'd done what i do instead of moving and burning all his bridges.

I suppose we all make our beds and lie in them - no one retirement plan fits all but sadly changing horses mid-journey is both difficult and very costly.

Just my 2 pence worth ????

41 minutes ago, VBF said:

Interesting thread - especially @spidermike007 comments most of which i agree with.

However, the comments about health costs obviously apply to the US, but when one is from UK that changes dramatically. Despite what one may read about certain parts of the NHS, in my area it's excellent and I've had some superb treatment completely FREE for 1 or 2 major issues. Only yesterday I contacted my GP who arranged an X-ray for me in 2 hours - this is to be followed by a CAT scan later this week or next. Both those procedures would be very expensive in Thailand and ridiculously expensive in US.

As I'm nearing the age of 70 I realise that this situation isn't going to get better, so shall continue doing what Mike mentioned - 2 to 3 months a year in Thailand (the UK winter!) and rest of the time UK and short term travel to other places.

The other issues about whether Thailand is "better" are, of course subjective and personal but as I'm in the fortunate position of having enough disposable income to enjoy myself I think I've made the right decision.  I came back to UK from Thailand 2 weeks ago and, for the first time, due to my now being a Pensioner, had more money in my UK current account than when I left! ????  Whilst i was away, i received my annual Pension increase - if I lived in Thailand, this wouldn't happen of course.

Actually a good friend of mine, who lives in Loei told me, only last week, that he wishes he'd done what i do instead of moving and burning all his bridges.

I suppose we all make our beds and lie in them - no one retirement plan fits all but sadly changing horses mid-journey is both difficult and very costly.

Just my 2 pence worth ????

Good on you. If I could afford it I would divide my time in various places too. I would likely avoid Thailand between December and April altogether. We are dealing with an air apocalypse, and there is nothing to cause one to believe the situation will improve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VBF said:

I came back to UK from Thailand 2 weeks ago and, for the first time, due to my now being a Pensioner, had more money in my UK current account than when I left! ????  Whilst i was away, i received my annual Pension increase - if I lived in Thailand, this wouldn't happen of course.

Odd that, pension increased on 5th April, paid in arrears.

I won't see my pension increase until 19th April, and then it will only be 2/4 weeks with the increase.

My first full 4 week pension increase won't happen until the end of May. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I won't see my pension increase until 19th April, and then it will only be 2/4 weeks with the increase.

For some strange reason, I get my State Pension weekly, and got my first increased one on 6th April, and another yesterday. It is £14 a week increase for me, ie THB 2385 a month. Not to be sniffed at, but not life-changing.

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

You always get that one in eh?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Mine's the same...maybe i should have said  "Whilst i was away, i received NOTIFICATION of my annual Pension increase...." IE, the letter was awaiting me on my return.  Sadly, the DWP don't offer the option of email over paper.

I shall actually get a partial increased payment on 19th April (same as you) with the full amount payable 19th May...again same as you.

The "more money in current a/c" remark was just that I'm now receiving my pension, whereas my last trip to Thailand in 2020, i was not.

Edited by VBF

7 hours ago, mokwit said:

Was 200k->400k->800k. Existing extensions were grandfathered. The recent requirement to keep Bt400k year 'round was not. This is a disturbing precedent, especially when Bt3m sees to be their new figure for LT stayer visas. A jump from 800k to 3m without grandfathering does seem too much of a jump, but who knows, they seem to be little concerned with the consequences of their actions.

It is just a scam, I visit many countries and most all only require you show a certain income or bank balance if you want to live there. They want to make sure you have the funds to live a good life and spend like a tourist. Thailand is a joke.

I always relate the Retirement rules to a Thai bar girl.  Same mind set.

Edited by Gknrd

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

I could of 10 reasons why NOT to retire in Thailand but i won't go into it now, Thailand is not what it used to be 10-20 years ago easy pizzy place to live, enjoy and have fun, now it's all about the money and rules and more rules, none of which to make life easier.

Sounds like the UK with their ever evolving banking rules where if you don't have a pot to piss in or aren't paying taxes, you are marginalized and discriminated against.

Don't you just love it when an idyllic, sleepy backwater of a nation decides to get its act together just because it wants to sort out the wheat from the chaff and run with the big dawgs?