Tourist arrival ‘tax’ postponed, foreign arrivals drop

webfact

39 minutes ago, Lifetraxx said:

The only way for them to treat everyone "equally* is to

A: Charge EVERYONE the 300 bht 

B: Make entry to all parks 100 % free to EVERYONE! 

The steady income from the arrivals would far exceed any national park yearly ncome in just matter of months. 

No can do

2 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the minister, the airlines have stated that they cannot differentiate between foreign tourists, Thais, and expatriates, and therefore, all passengers must be treated equally

The alternative being collecting the tax on exit via immigration.

But then the money probably wouldn't reach the desired fund as sticky fingers would get in the mix.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

Cambodia and Laos were chockers this Songkran. Seems the tourists are discovering the neighbouring countries finally. 

If I've learned anything about Thai economics, the solution to the reduction in tourist numbers will be to double or triple the entry fee to make up the lost revenue.

You're learning well, have you considered applying for a job with government?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Mrs Marisa said transparency in fee collection and fund management are paramount for this scheme.

Is she, in a roundabout way, stating that government schemes are inherently corrupt? How would she get that idea?

• Like 1

The whizkids in the Thai bureaucracy must be the World Champion Gold Medal winners for making simple matters complicated. Why don't they just include the 300 baht Tourism Tax into the visa fee, not as a separate item, and nobody would know or care. It's less than US$9. They are real muddle-heads. Prophetic words from "The King and I" musical  "I often have confusion in concluding things that I concluded long ago".

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Hull said:

The whizkids in the Thai bureaucracy must be the World Champion Gold Medal winners for making simple matters complicated. Why don't they just include the 300 baht Tourism Tax into the visa fee, not as a separate item, and nobody would know or care. It's less than US$9. They are real muddle-heads. Prophetic words from "The King and I" musical  "I often have confusion in concluding things that I concluded long ago".

Really? So been direct is kind of lousy?

Pick pockets are great?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I guess, arrivals minus Thai citizens.

But that would place me in the tourist camp. And I have lived here for 16 years on an annual visa extension. I’m not really a tourist.

But maybe you are just pointing out what they probably do, not it’s accuracy.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Amazing that for once, Thais and foreigners are treated equally, hopefully that will lead to that in the future foreigners will be 'treated equally' more often.

LOL LOL LOL which country does THAT?

I'd love to have the list.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Lifetraxx said:

The only way for them to treat everyone "equally* is to

A: Charge EVERYONE the 300 bht 

B: Make entry to all parks 100 % free to EVERYONE! 

The steady income from the arrivals would far exceed any national park yearly ncome in just matter of months. 

And why would you introduce logic or commonsense into the issue ?

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Amazing that for once, Thais and foreigners are treated equally, hopefully that will lead to that in the future foreigners will be 'treated equally' more often.

Nothing to do with equality per se.

It is more to do with the unknown, taxes are allocated to the fare at time of booking, passport information is not.

Most countries put tourist tax on accommodation, Thailand may end up the same way.

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Cambodia has nothing on Thailand as far as higher quaility tourists are concerned. The place is a dump with no infrastructure.

Communist Loas with no beaches will never threaten.

Thailand number one in SEA. Always has been, always will be.

Quality tourists are not going to be stopped by this insignificant fee. 

Singapore and Indonesia do pretty well for tourists.

Albeit the former with short term visitors transmitting to Aus etc, but also with Chinese when they can travel and Malaysians. And Singapore can claim to be attracting quality tourists.

Indonesia does pretty well by virtue of Bali.

So Thailand #1 in SE Asia, always has been and always will, is an overly broad statement imho.

That said, I haven’t done any number comparisons because physical headcount is inaccurate in Thailand, maybe Bali also for all I know. And then there are other metrics, such as percentage of GDP, average expenditure per tourist headcount, total expenditure by total tourists etc etc

• Thumbs Up 2

It will happen for the next high season I imagine,delayed does not mean i will not be charged  to tourist.Songkran over the tourist are less until end of the year.Sept is the  thai guidelines when people return.So next year expect the new charge

2 hours ago, JCauto said:

Cambodia and Laos were chockers this Songkran. Seems the tourists are discovering the neighbouring countries finally. 

If I've learned anything about Thai economics, the solution to the reduction in tourist numbers will be to double or triple the entry fee to make up the lost revenue.

Thai economics when no business put the price up, like they used to do in the bars, 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Tourism is definitely going down here in Phuket according to booking.com in the Rawai area it is down 22% that was yesterday, 

I think Moscow is now using an electronic drafting system, many cannot hide anymore..........

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Thumbs Up 1