Supreme Court to Decide Availability of Abortion Pill as Appeal Moves Forward

onthedarkside

image.png.b04f732a36724bf3e93eb15be9aa65d9.png

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court is expected on Wednesday to decide the fate of a crucial abortion pill that is used in more than half of abortions across the United States while an appeal moves forward.

The court is weighing an emergency application by the Biden administration to maintain the Food and Drug Administration’s approval of the drug after an appeals court said it would place limitations on the medication, mifepristone.

Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. had issued a stay in the case that is set to expire at midnight, meaning the court is likely to act before then, although it could extend the deadline or fail to act.

READ MORE

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/19/us/politics/abortion-pill-supreme-court.html

image.png.c282fe119a628972b9822069af69b6cb.png

Archive Link

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

If they are deciding on the time limit for the pill on a pregnancy I would support it 100%

No that's not the decision they are making, the info is in the OP link, in the US the abortion pill is only used up to a max 11th week. Anyway, they've pushed back their decision till Friday.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

No that's not the decision they are making, the info is in the OP link, in the US the abortion pill is only used up to a max 11th week. Anyway, they've pushed back their decision till Friday.

I’m worried they are sitting on it hoping the attention dies down then yank the net out from under the women in need + crippling advancements in new drugs 

I can see only one way that the SCOTUS can rule.  Because if they allow one judge to decide which drugs can be taken off the market, then why do we even have a FDA?  But being that this SCOTUS is right leaning (read a bit nutty), they may rule against science and common sense. 

In the past, even the conservative justices have ruled that judges should not overrule the FDA on medical questions. But since these justices have also demonstrated a willingness to ignore their principles when convenient, I wouldn't get all surprised if in some way they support that judge in Texas.

1 hour ago, Tug said:

I’m worried they are sitting on it hoping the attention dies down then yank the net out from under the women in need + crippling advancements in new drugs 

Generally, if corporations or government have to release bad news, they choose to do it on Friday for obvious reasons.