Washington set to become 10th state to ban assault weapons sales

onthedarkside

42 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why do you have the NEED to shoot a deer?

... I don't, even stated it earlier, and implied in other threads.

Has a deer ever hunted you for your meat?

... ????

You can buy the deer meat in a supermarket.

... that would defeat the purpose, and 25kg of free venison works for many.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Banned in 10 of the obviously un-United States. So i guess they'll just have to cross over the State border to buy where there's no ban. Maybe they need to set up custom checks at every State border.

I mean, come on! What is the point of one state banning and another not? Really!

It's called a Republic, and why some folks shouldn't join in the conversation.????

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's called a Republic, and why some folks shouldn't join in the conversation.????

He is using the exact same argument I read on here many times from pro gun posters. There's no point in a ban if you can go next state to buy what you want.

Imo all steps in the right direction are welcome, but a federal bank would be better. No chance of that happening now though.

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

He is using the exact same argument I read on here many times from pro gun posters. There's no point in a ban if you can go next state to buy what you want.

Imo all steps in the right direction are welcome, but a federal bank would be better. No chance of that happening now though.

Well at least it works for the 11% of Americans who never leave their home state... Small steps ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Once these laws make it through the system and finally the SCOTUS, and IF making it pass them.   That's when the Federal Gov't will pass similar legislation, knowing it will pass.

Legislation, like crime, the prevention of, prosecution, of and incarceration of convicted is big business.   Wouldn't want to solve things too fast.

Lawyers, lobbyist, rehabs, private prisons, law enforcement departments, and arms manufacturers got to milk the system for decades.

Yes, they could change the 2nd Amendment, and ban firearms tomorrow...

... IF WANTING TO

And what does that tell you.   

Besides, it's a great divisive distraction.

7 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

It’s not quite that easy. The process to amend the constitution is slow. 

No it is not if all states are in agreement. Even then the 13th passed quickly enough - even before all states agreed. 

13 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

It’s not quite that easy. The process to amend the constitution is slow. 

The Brady Bill was when .... 30 yrs ago

.... it ain't that slow.

An executive order could STOP all sales, then before 2024 election, it/2nd Amendment could be change ...

... IF THEY WANTED TO

"On December 18, 1917 a constitutional amendment to prohibit alcohol was proposed in the Senate, and in October 1919 Congress passed the Volstead Act (National Prohibition Act)"

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The Brady Bill was when .... it ain't that slow.

An executive order could STOP all sales, then before 2024 election, it/2nd Amendment could be change ...

... IF THEY WANTED TO

"On December 18, 1917 a constitutional amendment to prohibit alcohol was proposed in the Senate, and in October 1919 Congress passed the Volstead Act (National Prohibition Act)"

I was responding to your tomorrow assertion. Sure, it could happen in a few years. That’s the only likely way to succeed. Nobody has even tried. I think there are far too many states opposed. 

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Next time you go hunting for deer, try using a 22 short.  Then again, I guess you could shoot 20 or 30 times, then track it down & cut it's throat.

You know, the humane way to hunt ... ????

Same way with home protection, use that 22 short ... ????

Some people with NO firearm knowledge, really shouldn't post.

"How can any country keep guns away from loonies?"

You can't .... that's why some folks prefer an equal playing field.

Hence the problem of keeping firearms away from law abiding folks.

Hummm…how about background checks (weed out most loonies) then education so folks who want to hunt know better than to use a 22 short round to hunt deer hummm…..personally when I used to hunt deer and goat I preferred my 22 hornet 22 cal with a humgous cartridge super accurate and packed a massive punch for its size (bolt action) for pig I preferred a 30ot6 (bolt action) semi auto long guns have absolutely no legitimate reason to be owned by civilians none all stop ???? as far as semi auto short guns (pistols) personally I feel they have a legitimate place for home defense.let’s get reasonable laws on the books to protect all party’s 

2 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I was responding to your tomorrow assertion. Sure, it could happen in a few years. That’s the only likely way to succeed. Nobody has even tried. I think there are far too many states opposed. 

Biden could issue an executive order, banning sales.  That's good for 6 months, or till it reaches the SCOTUS.  Giving them time to propose a change to the 2nd.

Let's be realistic, the Brady Bill had a built in expiration date ...

... W T F ... if that doesn't tell they aren't serious, then nothing does.

30 years of talking ????

with that though .... PEACE OUT

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They are the exact same firearm that kill most people.

PEACE OUT

They have a legitimate place in home defense and yes they are used by folks taking their own lives as are revolvers sad ???? ☮️ 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Banned in 10 of the obviously un-United States. So i guess they'll just have to cross over the State border to buy where there's no ban. Maybe they need to set up custom checks at every State border.

I mean, come on! What is the point of one state banning and another not? Really!

Expand  

Strange. I thought it was called the United States, not the Republic of America. My mistake. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Strange. I thought it was called the United States, not the Republic of America. My mistake. 

You didn't pay attention in class:

"The United States government is a federal republic with three separate branches of government. It has a bicameral legislature composed of the House of Representatives, a lower house determined by state population; and the Senate, an upper house based on equal representation for each state."

When asked upon exiting the Constitutional Convention Benjamin Franklin was approached by a group of citizens asking what sort of government the delegates had created, a Republic, or a Monarchy ...

His answer was: "A republic, if you can keep it."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Tug said:

Good it’s another step in the right direction 

I do not agree with guns but shop keepers need them these days in some US cities - I think machine guns are exactly what they need to sort out people like this if the cops wont come. I certainly would not find them guilty for killing 40 of these rat bags 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Purdey said:

While I understand people who are peaceful owners of guns for target shooting and hunting, any gun that can blow a child's head and limbs clean off is not required for the aforementioned activities.

Gun fans often say, it is the loonies that shoot innocents that are the problem and that is true. But who gave or sold those guns to loonies has never been answered. How can any country keep guns away from loonies?

Would you agree to an hour-long psychological exam before being allowed to own a gun? Should mentally-impaired folk justify their failure to pass a psychological test by standing by their constitutionally amended rights?

While you may have a point, what would you do about the easy availability of weapons on the black market? Anyone that wants a gun can get one. America has many millions of weapons, and no criminal will have a problem acquiring as many as they want.

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Why do you have the NEED to shoot a deer?

Has a deer ever hunted you for your meat?

You can buy the deer meat in a supermarket.

Does anyone NEED to go to the movies, or a restaurant etc?

Till they ban hunting, it's best to allow a weapon that actually kills the game, rather than wounding it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, transam said:

How long does it take to reload one before being mobbed in 2023...?

The police and security guards that I have seen in the USA carry guns.

In the UK the police do not routinely carry guns, nor do security guards, as gun laws are strict so few incidents...

In NZ there are draconian laws about guns, but apparently more gun incidents than in the past before such laws came into effect. While the cops don't routinely carry weapons they apparently have them available in their cars, and IMO it's just a matter of time they join the Australians and are armed at all times. I certainly think they should be, given the amount of gang crime in the country.

19 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The majority of AR-15/assault rifle owners don't buy them for hunting though so not sure what your point is.

Anybody that knows anything about sportsmanship and hunting would know that an AR 15 round is the LAST thing you would use for hunting.  People who say otherwise are so far down any gun any time anybody anywhere that it is a waste of time to even attempt to have a rational discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a proposal for all the anti gun folks here- how about you put a sign outside your house, on your front lawn, that proudly proclaims, "This House Is A Gun Free Zone"? It will make you feel much safer, I am sure.  Anyone who wants to rob you will surely leave their firearms in their car before kicking down your front door...

And regarding mass shootings, a majority are committed with handguns.  As are the vast majority of murders.  This law is classic leftist virtue signalling. Appearing to do something useful is more important than actually doing something useful to them.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I have a proposal for all the anti gun folks here- how about you put a sign outside your house, on your front lawn, that proudly proclaims, "This House Is A Gun Free Zone"? It will make you feel much safer, I am sure.  Anyone who wants to rob you will surely leave their firearms in their car before kicking down your front door...

And regarding mass shootings, a majority are committed with handguns.  As are the vast majority of murders.  This law is classic leftist virtue signalling. Appearing to do something useful is more important than actually doing something useful to them.

No need to, we would look like fruitcakes, as are the gun lovers, here....:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They are the exact same firearm that kill most people.

PEACE OUT

But not the weapon of choice for non crime related mass killers at schools, colleges, places of worship, shopping malls and public spaces.

Also a great deal easier for law enforcement officers to face up to and deal with.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I have a suggestion for you.

Try dealing with the reality that support for gun controls is not ‘Anti-Gun’.

Doing so will avoid you needing to resort to hyperbole and leave you more able to address gun controls rationally and without emotive swings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Does anyone NEED to go to the movies, or a restaurant etc?

Till they ban hunting, it's best to allow a weapon that actually kills the game, rather than wounding it.

That was aimed more at KhunLA than generally.

There is no real need to hunt and kill for food anymore, as there was when the 2nd amendment was written.That was back in the days of muzzle loading, black power rifles, where if you were very good and well trained, you might get 2 shots off in a minute.

Nowadays you can buy most sorts of meat in the supermarket and the only reasons to kill wild animals is to cull them. An AR15 is not that much good for culling. A bolt action rifle of a reasonable calibre will do the job better, provided that the person pulling the trigger knows what they are doing.

33 minutes ago, placeholder said:

wrong post. Sorry

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What was the year at the 13th amendment passed?

https://www.senate.gov/about/origins-foundations/senate-and-constitution/senate-passes-the-thirteenth-amendment.htm#:~:text=The 2012 film Lincoln told,Representatives on January 31%2C 1865.

The 2012 film Lincoln told the story of President Abraham Lincoln and the final month of debate over the Thirteenth Amendment, leading to its passage by the House of Representatives on January 31, 1865.