British man accused of setting fire to hotel in Chiang Mai

webfact

3 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

The UK passport office should continue its strike indefinitely.

It has to be said - the % of UK travellers who act like double dose Downey retards is noticeably disproportionate to other nationalities' mental midget demographics.

But in the USA Blah Blah Blah...............

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This thread is turning out to be a lightening rod for the Brit-Bashers !!!... 

Yep  ... I am a Brit and increasingly ashamed of the reputation that some Brits create overseas .... sadly not just in Thailand although it seems to be a magnet for more than its fair share

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

After the Russians the Brits are second to behave bad. Lack of common sense and education.

Only someone with no common sense or education would make such a generalising and xenophobic statement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Makes my blood boil. How many Thai's travel to the UK or Europe or the US, get into an argument and then set fire to their hotel room? Zero. Absolutely none. Yet Brits and others come here and cause so many problems, every day. Find him and lock him up for a very long time.

So he has been tried, and convicted. He had and argument with the guy, returned to his room at 10pm and left. The guy said he was in hiding, he then was taking towels to other rooms when he noticed smoke coming out of the room. Rescue services say the fire started around 12am 2 hours after the Brit was supposed to have left. No statement as to how the fire started. no statement about the argument. Maybe the argument was about the smell of smoke and the guy was too lazy to deal with it so the guest decided to leave and look for a saker hotel..

• Thanks 2

UIt does seem that way with the Brit's? Always on the news the ones I know in general seem uptight maybe it's all the tea or the need to always be right all the time they do come across real smart in conversation.

I heard this one while having coffee next table one day.  In conversation no matter the subject his turn " I tell you exactly what to do " a topic came up about a bombing he started to explain to his group how to make an Atomic bomb!  Majority seem to be upset the " Great no longer " their country is over run with Arabs and Muslim one of the royals is a kiddie <deleted>, there is barely a Embassy presents in Thailand, they get no cost of living on their Social Security if living in Thailand, the pound no longer strong.  

What I listed is what I heard you come here to relax,  drink,  smoke some weed release the tension with a happy ending then checking in you get a bunch of lip on top got punished with a bad room?   ????

Funny,  27, not too smart this one tries to burn down his own room when the hotel has you passport info how far can you go? 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The fire dept. was praising the farmers in Laos, Cambodia, Mianmar and Thailand for causing the particulate matter in the air to be so high, and the lack of oxygen to have saved the lives of many.  Without oxygen and heavy particulate matter the fire would have been much worse. 

TAT is promoting burning and says it has saved many lives in CM. 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Exactly.....  For all anyone knows the guy could have been burning a big fatty in order to calm down and forgot to put it out before leaving the room.

Come down to it, he's just another of our lads havin' a bit o' fun like all the rest. Nothing to see here. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

The UK passport office should continue its strike indefinitely.

It has to be said - the % of UK travellers who act like double dose Downey retards is noticeably disproportionate to other nationalities' mental midget demographics.

Sure sand boxer , all boring individuals are right  behind you 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bignok said:

I only know one ex Brit personally nice guy. He hates the UK though. Met others briefly. They were a bit different. IMO the world has gone a bit crazy. Society has broken down. I see more issues. Lack of soul.

Where have you been all your life to only meet one British Citizen ? 

Down under i suspect 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps think a little deeper. 

There is the dual facet of a lot of Brits in Thailand (more than many of the nationalities) and the English Language media and press which is picked up by sites such as this....  Its hardly surprising we hear of more Brits involved in such incidents.

Is that disportioncate to the number of Brits in Thailand ?  I’m not sure. 

But what I am confident of is that we hear of more ‘British centric’ reports from England language media which may influence the bias of those who don’t recognise this. 

Not condoning what this guy did of course, as another poster mentioned, it's attempted murder and IMO should be treated with the utmost severity - I hope he isn’t just ‘arrested and deported’. 

Attempted murder? I don't know in Thai criminal law, it wouldn't be in English law unless he had a clear pre meditated intention to kill fellow guests and staff at the hotel. I doubt he intended deaths as the consequence of setting fire to his room. I doubt he gave that any thought. He was though very reckless. What are the actual charges he is facing? Is attempted manslaughter one of them?

18 hours ago, tandor said:

there could be a logical explanation for all this..why not wait until the RTP and Fire Dept investigation has finished before jumping out of the 2nd floor window to conclusions

Yes… let’s not discuss this on this forum designed for discussion…

… instead wait for the follow up story that will never be written covering the forensic investigation that’ll never happen…. ????

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

Attempted murder. British sociopath.

Sounds like you've already hung, drawn and quartered him. More facts are needed here. He had an argument at 10pm packed his bags and left the fire was reported at 00.10. What time did the chap check out / leave. The fire was reported after the receptionist was taking towels to another room. I tend not to believe a night receptionist in a fairly cheap hotel would be doing that at midnight. When they say the man left / checked out isn't the policy to check his room then.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some real Brit haters on here...what has one ever done to you ,to make you

feel this way ?. every country has its @rseholes , I don't want to be hated just

because I was born in UK , but have spent nearly half my life living in Thailand ,

causing no problems for anyone , same as many more British expats , living

here with their families .

regards worgeordie   

• Thumbs Up 1

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels over the years in thailand and the standard policy at every single hotel from 1 star to 5 star was the receptionist confirmed with the housekeeping staff that the room was ok before allowing me to be officially checked out of the hotel.  

I have spent 1 year in chang mai hotels over the years and every hotel checked the room for damage before checking me out and issuing me a paid invoice in a nice envelope with hotel logo.

Even if the customer departed without officially checking out, the front desk employee would see the customer with suitcases leaving and would immediately check the room.

Causing a thai to lose face, such as happened here can create a multitude of unusual outcomes. Especially in a cultural hierarchy system in which a lower social hierarchy foreigner insults a higher hierarchy thai.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Makes my blood boil. How many Thai's travel to the UK or Europe or the US, get into an argument and then set fire to their hotel room? Zero. Absolutely none. Yet Brits and others come here and cause so many problems, every day. Find him and lock him up for a very long time.

I bet my blood boils more than yours does! Even the fluid in eyeballs is near boiling point"???? I can think of one Thai who travelled to the UK after killing a cop in Bangkok. Other that than I agree with you, all Thai people are perfect and would never commit even the most minor crime!????

Edited by Andrew65
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels over the years in thailand and the standard policy at every single hotel from 1 star to 5 star was the receptionist confirmed with the housekeeping staff that the room was ok before allowing me to be officially checked out of the hotel.  

I have spent 1 year in chang mai hotels over the years and every hotel checked the room for damage before checking me out and issuing me a paid invoice in a nice envelope with hotel logo.

Even if the customer departed without officially checking out, the front desk employee would see the customer with suitcases leaving and would immediately check the room.

Causing a thai to lose face, such as happened here can create a multitude of unusual outcomes. Especially in a cultural hierarchy system in which a lower social hierarchy foreigner insults a higher hierarchy thai.

Yes, it could have been that the hotel attendant set the room alight as revenge for the guy being abusive to him ?

The guy may have left late at night to catch a bus and maybe he wasn't given his deposit back and thus why he got annoyed 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:11 PM, IamNoone88 said:

Let me guess, whenever a Thai person does something bad to a foreigner, it's the foreigner's fault and the Thais are always innocent?

• Love It 1