Toilet Paper Versus The Bum-Gun; Many Expats Say They Know The Answer

webfact

On 4/21/2023 at 4:06 AM, bkk6060 said:

Bum gun is so much cleaner.  Especially, for the female under parts paper just seems to make a mess.

Public ones to? Cant force myself to use a bumgun other people uses. 

Lived in Thailand for 20 yrs, upon returning to the UK. I really felt like a dirty heathen using paper. I had to get a bum gun from Lazada sent here. Now I look at my family and friends strangely knowing full well that they aren’t as clean as me.

What I find terrible and somehow incomprehensible is that when you go to a newer mall toilets, they don't have the bum gun, just paper. WTF? It seems like the architects or management of the mall strive to have a contemporary western look and amenities. They bypass centuries of customs, really healthy, to look modern. What a shame and miscalculation on their part.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/21/2023 at 9:14 AM, brianthainess said:

Some good information from me before you eat, I proudly have not wiped my ass or taken a bath for 15yrs. :cheesy: My daughter on a recent visit had problems coming to terms with that info,

also hard for her to use the bum gun as she is left handed and most are fitted to the right of the seat. My Question is; as the sewage systems here won't handle dirty paper and its put in a bin, I presume it is just put into normal rubbish bins, that disposal is wrought with spreading all kinds of illnesses. A lot of supermarkets Etc.. don't have bum guns so i use the disabled toilet, that do. 

Why not give her a treat and have a bum gun fitted on both sides of the lavatory.? When I went back to the UK I really missed my bum gun. Apparently you can now buy portable ones. The only drawback in using a bum gun in cold countries is the shock of a jet of icy water on your nether regions. A squeezy bottle with a bent nozzle filled with warm water perhaps? At least the water is warm here in Thailand. My new bum gun has a gold nozzle. When using it I hum the James Bond theme music and think of the 'The man with the golden bum gun.'????     

Edited by Gandtee
added words
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2023 at 7:56 AM, ozimoron said:

I first discovered the bucket and pail over 40 years ago on my first trip to Thailand and never used toilet paper in my home or Thailand since. The bum gun is a relatively newer invention.

A rather stupid invention. I just imagine these farang shooting dingle berries all over the place.

You can be sure that billions of people in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan do NOT use the spray like this. The spray is useful because you can wash you other hand with one hand instead of the sink which will get filled with dingle berries.

11 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

A rather stupid invention. I just imagine these farang shooting dingle berries all over the place.

You can be sure that billions of people in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan do NOT use the spray like this. The spray is useful because you can wash you other hand with one hand instead of the sink which will get filled with dingle berries.

One needs to see a doctor if they are not doing a clean pinch.

On 4/21/2023 at 5:17 PM, Aussie999 said:

Here's my experience... gun bum, cool, refreshing, great after a spicy meal.. BUT, unless you use your hand, to wash the area, you'd be surprised how much brown stuff is left behind... Don't believe me... them just try wiping your butt after washing.

I did the wipe test afterwards in the early days , several times, the result was always spotless and my underpants continue to confirm this, How long do you spray for ?   5 milliseconds by the sound of it, just be a bit more generous it won't affect your water bill 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

I try not to imagine things like that , ever,

I don't doubt India Pakistan or Bangladesh do not use the spray, I'm not aware of either of those 3 countries being renowned for that particular aspect of hygiene either. Where do they sit in the league tables?

5 hours ago, Thaddee said:

What I find terrible and somehow incomprehensible is that when you go to a newer mall toilets, they don't have the bum gun, just paper. WTF? It seems like the architects or management of the mall strive to have a contemporary western look and amenities. They bypass centuries of customs, really healthy, to look modern. What a shame and miscalculation on their part.

same in some hiso hotels

• Sad 1

On 4/22/2023 at 3:13 AM, London Lowf said:

I'm surprised that so few have mentioned this aspect - there are things that I will do with a Thai girl with no hesitation that would be disgusting with a Westerner.

You can read into that as much or as little as you like!

I know exactly what you mean   reminds me of the joke about the 9 volt torch battery

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I did the wipe test afterwards in the early days , several times, the result was always spotless and my underpants continue to confirm this, How long do you spray for ?   5 milliseconds by the sound of it, just be a bit more generous it won't affect your water bill 

I suffer from piles. My water pressure is more than adequate for the cleansing process and I prefer it that way even though things do get most uncomfortable.

One drawback is that it’s only water I like cleaning down there with 70% alcohol I can do this after using the bum gun easily as it’s already wet down there and does not take as much alcohol or rip the paper this is an unclean area you need to wipe with alcohol to get rid of bacteria down there alcohol also prevents urinary tract infections as you get older which are caused by fecal matter in that general area

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

One drawback is that it’s only water I like cleaning down there with 70% alcohol I can do this after using the bum gun easily as it’s already wet down there and does not take as much alcohol or rip the paper this is an unclean area you need to wipe with alcohol to get rid of bacteria down there alcohol also prevents urinary tract infections as you get older which are caused by fecal matter in that general area

Alcohol??? !!!   that seems a bit OCD to me and my urinary tract is well away from the area in question too.    "that general area" seems for you, to be quite large, does Thai food not "agree" with you or something

Just when I thought I had heard everything   lol 

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Alcohol??? !!!   that seems a bit OCD to me and my urinary tract is well away from the area in question too.    "that general area" seems for you, to be quite large, does Thai food not "agree" with you or something

Just when I thought I had heard everything   lol 

It works it’s way up through sweating, wearing boxers etc your standing and sitting all day it gets into the material happens at all ages just when you get older you don’t fight it off as well that’s what the doc said get in their with some 70% alcohol and also use it anytime after you have sex also get a spray bottle by your bed there’s fluids all over on your hands and body you need to kill that stuff off stay safe out there buddy

8 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

It works it’s way up through sweating, wearing boxers etc your standing and sitting all day it gets into the material happens at all ages just when you get older you don’t fight it off as well that’s what the doc said get in their with some 70% alcohol and also use it anytime after you have sex also get a spray bottle by your bed there’s fluids all over on your hands and body you need to kill that stuff off stay safe out there buddy

guess it depends on what sort of sex one is indulging in.  I'll bear it in mind

Have used these for years in Asia and recently bought one here and took back to my home country as they aren't available for purchase there. Never looked back at toilet paper, water does such a better job! Plus I read somewhere that the incidents of rectal cancer are less in Asia because of this cleaning method, sounds good to me, no one wants that!

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Paranoia springs to mind.

I fully recommended Tokyo Sukkhiri loo seats, non-electric washing with nozzles for male and female anatomy, that model 6000 Baht, there's a 10,000 Baht one, must be gold plated.. Just use the wall tap your bum gun also uses (can fit a two way adapter to keep both working). Controllable power and comfortable, no twisting and bending like with the gun. Buy direct from them online (good service) or Shoppee, etc.

I really think they're the best.

20 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I fully recommended Tokyo Sukkhiri loo seats, non-electric washing with nozzles for male and female anatomy, that model 6000 Baht, there's a 10,000 Baht one, must be gold plated.. Just use the wall tap your bum gun also uses (can fit a two way adapter to keep both working). Controllable power and comfortable, no twisting and bending like with the gun. Buy direct from them online (good service) or Shoppee, etc.

I really think they're the best.

Interesting - when I looked up 'Tokyo Sukkiri' I got directed to a Kohler model bidet seat on Lazada for only 1,650 baht.

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Interesting - when I looked up 'Tokyo Sukkiri' I got directed to a Kohler model bidet seat on Lazada for only 1,650 baht.

Happy Toilet (I know, that's the Sukkiri brand name!) quality is very  good. I discovered them in 4 star Bangkok apartments. And I know they work well, hitting the  spots to speak! They do a cheaper model I think, with just one nozzle. ????

Edited by Speedhump
I'm a cotton-headed ninnymuggins.

I have seen derogatory comments on this forum about Thais.not washing their hands after going to toilet. With a bum gun you don't touch any 'dirty' areas so why is there a need to wash hands?