Heat Index Rises to 54°C in Some Areas, Health Risk Warned

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK, April 21 (TNA) – The heat index will soar to 54°C in three areas, Bangkok’s Bangna, Chon Buri and Phuket, said Chomparee Chompurat, the Director-General of the Meteorological Department.

It could be the peak of heat index this summer. Hot temperatures combined with relative humidity could pose a health risk to people staying outside in hot weather.

The department warns people who spend time in temperatures between 41 °C – 54 °C, classified as dangerous and very dangerous levels are at risk of developing muscle cramp and heat stroke.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1157963

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-04-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Found it on Mr Bingle, thanks.

40 degrees and 50% humidity = 55 degrees heat index.

... and  probably means the UN or some such will pay out for climate change. Its nonsense. The Thai scientist probably thinks it sounds more spectacular - although I just passed the Department of Meteorology on Sukhumvit and their counter on the front of the buldling said 37.1.

But this week I have seen 39 on my (in shade) thermometer and that equals the top I have seen here; locals are moaning a lot more than usual. Yes, this one is hot for a change.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

They do significant damage for Thailand tourism with these alarmist "heat index" numbers.
In the western media it simply appears as headlines like "Heat wave in Thailand, temperatures over 50 degrees".

these being tourists who defy the filthy air pollution but will suddenly get scared by the heat? Not..........

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Don't know but what I do know today is ###########################n hot.

And least when I'm in hell I might have got used to the heat. Now only the hot poker up the harris to worry about.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

One - an elderly foreigner from the new Arcturus variant. 

That was reported yesterday but happened before the 17th according to the article. No reports of any more since globally from what I've seen.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Where have the thunderstorms gone?

Cambodia - reference 19 April 2023:

“Starting today, most areas in the country could experience rain accompanied by lightning and  strong winds till Saturday. Lowland areas will experience temperatures of 39 degrees Celsius,” the ministry said in a statement

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501275424/beware-more-storms-on-the-way/

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Found it on Mr Bingle, thanks.

40 degrees and 50% humidity = 55 degrees heat index.

Had 50 degrees with 40% humidity the other week. That's 81C heat index. No wonder it felt like I was walking through a convection oven ????

3 hours ago, isaanistical said:

these being tourists who defy the filthy air pollution but will suddenly get scared by the heat? Not..........

Sensitive pansies.

Avoid torrid zone conditions if one isn't accustom or easily offended by such. 

Tropical situations have remained the same for ages.

Not a revelation. 

15 years ago in Chiang Rai we used to get temperatures in the high 30's end March/April. However, we also used to get thunderstorms reguarly during this period. Which cleared the air of smoke, and cooled things off, particuarly at night. This year by comparison, we have had no significant rain since October. The smoke has been horendous for long periods of time, and the heat unbearable during the day. The garden is like a desert, instead of green and fresh.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Had 50 degrees with 40% humidity the other week. That's 81C heat index. No wonder it felt like I was walking through a convection oven ????

NOT Here You Didn't have 50c ........The ALL-TIME Record was broken last week in Tak When it reached 45.4c......

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 1:57 PM, KannikaP said:

What is HEAT INDEX vs TEMPERATURE please?

Simply?  It's not the actual temperature but it's what you subjectively feel like the temperature is.  Which is relative.

Someone getting off the plane in Chiang Mai is going to feel like its a HELL of a lot hotter than those of us who are acclimatized. 

On the positive note, were starting to pop some local thunderheads in Northern Thailand.  Rain would be good to clear this God-awful PM2.5 air pollution out.

Edited by connda