Honest cost

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's a long or short piece of string.

What I could live, if having to, vs someone else would be completely different.

What I need to live on comfy, also would be completely different.  But I personally wouldn't try to live on less than ฿20k a month, per person with your question's parameters.

Married, you need 40k a month anyway or lump 400k for visa.

Retirement, well, you wouldn't qualify with less than 65k month, or 800k lump, depending which version of retirement visa and which office used.

Or use agent, and bypass all the rules ????

I would have 35000 baht per month and 800.000 in the bank and no rent to pay still have my own place to live 

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Health insurance 200k-300k if it's even possible at 76, plus lots of exclusions no doubt so you'll need to self insure for that. Everything else pretty cheap if you can control yourself. 40k-70k a month

I would live in a small city not BKK or Pats and pay no rent

7 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I would have 35000 baht per month and 800.000 in the bank and no rent to pay still have my own place to live 

That should be more than enough.  Insurance & beer, I don't have or partake in, well, worth mentioning (two 490ml a month).

No car/rent, and all you have to do is feed yourself, and easily done with ฿10k a month w/home cooking.  Or ฿10k a month, eating out @ ฿300 a day.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, still kicking said:

No still have my own place which I could not sell because I can't own land as you know 

Ruenya Homestay Ratchaburi - Bing Maps

So you have a condo in Ratchaburi. Why didn't you say that in the first place?

How much is it costing you to live in your style there at the moment?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So you have a condo in Ratchaburi. Why didn't you say that in the first place?

How much is it costing you to live in your style there at the moment?

I live in the west now, not in Ratchaburi anymore I just wonder what it would cost me to move back (I mean to live a decent life)

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

First, try to get that health insurance. That will be difficult at that age.

And then look how much money is left. It's possible to live on 10k a month, lots of Thais do that.

But most farangs don't find it difficult to spend more, a lot more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, still kicking said:

I don't frequent bars at all I never have I just have a few drinks at home 

You mentioned "a decent life".

It shouldn't be a surprise for you that lots of people have different definitions of "a decent life".

THOMAS_COUTURE_-_Los_Romanos_de_la_Decad

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1)  Health insurance - You can get a free quote on the wrlife website without giving them any info.  Most others want your contact info first.     But you have to realise that you are most likely to excluded coverage on many things.  Like if you take blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar meds  you will most be likely be excluded coverage for heart attacks, strokes and such.  https://www.wrlife.net/   You are probably going to find that health insurance will take about half of your budget and you will still be on the hook for many medical costs.

2)  food - if you eat cheap thai food you can have 3 meals a day for about  7,000 baht a month.  But it can escalate quite abit otherwise.  In Ratchaburi there is a restaurant that has the best steaks I have had in Thailand.  But then you are talking 1,200 to 2,000 baht for one meal.  Even eating falang food at home is going to cost you more than eating the local prepared food.

I think I could live on 30K/month if I was by myself and lived a simple boring life.  But that would not cover anything more than basic medical costs.  My wife and I budget about 120K/month and sometimes exceed that.

• Like 2

I reckon an average 60,000 Baht a month (excluding rent and any capital costs) would allow you to live at a decent standard and to entertain yourself.

If you are not married/no girlfriend, you could find and marry an ex-government retiree and benefit from her free medical coverage (which extends to her husband). But you would need an extra 20,000 Baht a month (e.g. 80,000 per month) to support a wife or live-in girlfriend.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2023 at 2:37 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Health insurance 200k-300k if it's even possible at 76, plus lots of exclusions no doubt so you'll need to self insure for that. Everything else pretty cheap if you can control yourself. 40k-70k a month

Wealthy European friend retired in Pattaya just turned 74 yo, just renewed his health insurance, been with same compnay close to 30 years, lowest level health insurance 124,000Baht for 12 months. 

Also got a reminder that renewal on 76th birthday will be the last time. Afer that company will not renew. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

First, try to get that health insurance. That will be difficult at that age.

And then look how much money is left. It's possible to live on 10k a month, lots of Thais do that.

But most farangs don't find it difficult to spend more, a lot more. 

If you arrive on a tourist visa and then apply for a 90 day non O retirement visa in Thailand, health insurance is not at the moment compulsory - if you apply for the non O from outside Thailand it is.