83-Year-Old Grandmother Hit by Bus While Crossing Pedestrian Crosswalk

webfact

image.jpeg

An 83-year-old woman was seriously injured after being hit by a red public bus while walking a crosswalk at the Si Yan Intersection in Bangkok.

The accident occurred when the bus, operating on the new southern line - Chaengwattana Government Center route, was forced to detour due to Samsen Road being closed. The driver, Mr. Amphon, claimed he did not see the woman crossing the road due to his view being obstructed, reported INN.

Grandma Yupin, the injured woman, was rushed to Vajira Hospital by the rescue unit. Relatives of Yupin stated that she was on her way to buy food for her grandson who was suffering from cancer. The incident occurred at the back of the bus, near the right rear wheel, and Yupin was found lying on the crosswalk with serious injuries.

Police Superintendent Wichai Meekhwan stated that an investigation is ongoing, and witnesses are being questioned, including the bus driver. Additionally, CCTV footage of the incident is being reviewed to determine the exact cause. No allegations have been made at this time.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, loong said:
5 hours ago, webfact said:

The incident occurred at the back of the bus, near the right rear wheel

He reversed into her?

I'm wondering if the driver / bus took turn (into / out of a soi) and the rear of the bus cut the corner as it turned and impacted / caught the old-lady. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Police Superintendent Wichai Meekhwan stated that an investigation is ongoing, and witnesses are being questioned, including the bus driver. Additionally, CCTV footage of the incident is being reviewed to determine the exact cause. No allegations have been made at this time.

Vehicle, pedestrian crossing, person seriously injured... I think we all know the answer already.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The crossings themselves are also dangerously positioned at the very entrance to Soi’s where the drivers attention is often consumed with a lot of other ‘traffic factors’....

The crossings themselves ideally should be 50m or more back from a junction. 

This is one of the major facets of Thailands shocking road accident / fatality stats - the road design itself is often fundamentally flawed and designed without a great deal of consideration to all road users. 

It doesn't matter where the crossing is... Thai just ignore them anyway

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Wonder why they call them crossings or crosswalks and not annihilation zones ????

My cousin calls them pick up points for the emergency services

• Like 2

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Police Superintendent Wichai Meekhwan stated that an investigation is ongoing, and witnesses are being questioned, including the bus driver.

Translation:
Police Superintendent Wichai Meekhwan is waiting to see who brings the biggest "brown enveloppes" to close this case ....

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If they had a new law that was you had to pay 5 million in compensation for hitting someone on a zebra crossing it would probably stop tomorrow. 

I reckon there would be a better response if Thailand announces that a driver can catch covid if they don’t stop at crossings for people...

For a nation of people who in general refuse to follow regulations the degree of conformity with mask wearing is astonishing... if the ‘magic can be tapped’ into once again and mindset towards driving can be influenced in a similar manner to that with which the national mindset was influenced with regards to Covid Thailand could potentially resolve one of its greatest woes overnight !!!

• Like 1

I saw this on my wife's TV while walking by.  The old lady didn't bother to look and unfortunately may get awarded today's Thai Darwin Award.
Crosswalks mean nothing here at all.  And simple self-preservation implies who will win a contest between a 40kg old woman meeting a 15,000kg bus.  Simple self-preservation would caution one to do what Westerners were taught in Kindergarten: "Look Left, Look Right, Look again then cross - cautiously."  They obviously don't have that lesson in Thai Kindergarten.  Here?  It's "head down, walk without looking, and hold on to your Buddha amulets."
Didn't work this time - Best wishes for recovery.

5 minutes ago, connda said:

I saw this on my wife's TV while walking by.  The old lady didn't bother to look and unfortunately may get awarded today's Thai Darwin Award.
Crosswalks mean nothing here at all.  And simple self-preservation implies who will win a contest between a 40kg old woman meeting a 15,000kg bus.  Simple self-preservation would caution one to do what Westerners were taught in Kindergarten: "Look Left, Look Right, Look again then cross - cautiously."  They obviously don't have that lesson in Thai Kindergarten.  Here?  It's "head down, walk without looking, and hold on to your Buddha amulets."
Didn't work this time - Best wishes for recovery.

I nearly hit a kid yesterday...  (about 7 years old)... 

Driving down my Soi a pickup had parked on the left blocking any route for pedestrians. 

I was about to pass said parked pickup which was a slight squeeze with on-coming traffic on a narrow soi so I didn’t leave a lot of space....  The child simply stepped out from behind the car without looking.

Fortunately I was gong slowly and immediately stopped...  the child simply walked towards me without a care in the world, without any recognition or understanding that he’d just placed his welfare in grave danger.... 

... utterly oblivious, he’ll likely do the same again and his future wellbeing will rely on blind luck rather than any common-sense sense of self preservation. 

A heartbreaking story.  This woman goes out to buy food for her son who has cancer.  Then gets hit by a bus while in a crosswalk.  And the driver says his view was obstructed.

He is sitting high up above the road driving a bus.  That must have been some kind of huge obstruction.  

On 4/24/2023 at 9:08 AM, webfact said:

The driver, Mr. Amphon, claimed he did not see the woman crossing the road due to his view being obstructed, reported INN.

Probably couldn't see due to vehicles stopped in front of the crossing.  Just pull round them at full speed. ????

On 4/25/2023 at 2:14 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Fortunately I was gong slowly and immediately stopped...  the child simply walked towards me without a care in the world, without any recognition or understanding that he’d just placed his welfare in grave danger.... 

So you, unlike the bus driver, exhibited situational awareness. And didn't hit the kid. Sounds like a successful way to deal with the unexpected on Thai roads. That unexpectedness isn't going to change, and it should always be the driver's responsibility to avoid hitting a pedestrian.