Feeling safe in your own home

59 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Have you considered getting together with @GammaGlobulin and making a podcast?

You could talk about all the random stuff you think of questions about.

The theme tune could be Lemon Tree by Fools Garden.

Lemon Tree song brings back old memories, I think it was late 90's song or early 2000's , haven't heard it for years 

• Confused 1

We’ve had a couple of incidents over the years.  And we know who.  Stainless on all 1st floor windows and sliders, plus some 2nd floor.  Motion sensors along sides of house, coordinated with 10 CCTV cameras.  Deadbolts on some doors.  Perimeter fencing with stainless steal points.  And yes, I worked in the industrial security field in America.  Sure anyone can get in if they really want to.  But if they survive—they’ll do time in prison.

• Love It 1

11 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

We’ve had a couple of incidents over the years.  And we know who.  Stainless on all 1st floor windows and sliders, plus some 2nd floor.  Motion sensors along sides of house, coordinated with 10 CCTV cameras.  Deadbolts on some doors.  Perimeter fencing with stainless steal points.  And yes, I worked in the industrial security field in America.  Sure anyone can get in if they really want to.  But if they survive—they’ll do time in prison.

You live in a farmhouse type area or neighbours next door ?

I'm a bit surprised to say the least but if as you say you had a couple of incidents.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You live in a farmhouse type area or neighbours next door ?

I'm a bit surprised to say the least but if as you say you had a couple of incidents.

We live in a typical Isaan farm village, across the street from a park.  The neighbors (mostly relatives) help watch over things.. We travel frequently.  But with the price of yaba down, many locals now addicted—and unemployable.  Every family has a ner-do-well. and they in turn have friends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Lemon Tree song brings back old memories, I think it was late 90's song or early 2000's , haven't heard it for years 

Funnily enough I have no memory of it from the time it was released.  I've only ever heard of it in Asia.

Apparently it only reached 26 in the UK, so that might be why.

• Like 2

Yes, I feel safe here.....We do lock & bolt the doors....

Our dog would make anyone pause that might think about coming into our yard.....Our MuBaan does not have a guarded gate, but in the years here = zero threatening incidents.....

When house hunting I passed on the biggest/nicest house in small villages.....We can travel 4-6 months a year & coming home to an emptied out/plundered house was one of the reasons I passed.....

I've lived in the PI.... It's definitely not safe in multiple ways.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Thumbs Up 1

I feel pretty safe in our condo in Pattaya.  Wife has land and property in Udon Thani province and we do a visit up there from time to time. Don't feel so safe there and neither does the wife. Its a big family with some kind of local 'mafia' connections.  Her father's brother was shot dead a few years ago.  Father found out who the shooter was, followed him to a roadside eatery and blew the guy's brains out.  Police took no action.  Father sadly passed away at the end of last year (natural causes).

One of wife's friends was involved in a love triangle. The jilted husband killed his wife and her lover. My wife was one of the first on the scene - pretty messy apparently and my wife was quite traumatised.

Another incident was a young local girl found raped and beaten to death at the side of a main road. No proper police investigation apparently.

Few years ago we were driving on the Udon to Kut Chap road and a youth on the back of a motorbike fired a gun at our car. I think it was just a bit of showing off though.

Overall I feel most at risk from the traffic here in Thailand rather than from random violence. We do keep a couple of guns in the house up in Udon though. If the wife hears a noise at night she grabs a gun..

• Thanks 1

For the most part I find Thailand one of the safest places I've visited or lived.

My ex had some issues with Mafia and that changed that view a lot as they would come threatingly to the town house in Bangkok. We had one break in before that but apart from that no problems.

Whilst that is in the past I still have a bit of anxiety on that so prefer condo's with security these days.

Also have an unfenced village house where I'm used to the cows, dogs, people crossing the land but never had any issues there apart from avoiding walking around too much at night due to the dogs. The dogs though also keep strangers away so you might consider getting your own dog if really worried. I will build a wall at some point though.

If you get problems here its usually because something or someone has done something to attract those problems so make sure anyone you live with you know and trust well.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a little like walking through a dark forest at night.

People who are not used to that, including myself, feel a little or a lot uncomfortable.

I guess most of us know after a while which noises are normal and which noises are unusual. Sometimes I am surprised how fast I wake up if there is an unusual sound somewhere.

Until now I never had any problem and don't have a reason to be scared.

I guess people who lived in bad neighborhoods or in places where burglaries happened don't sleep so well anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

We just finished extending the height of the perimeter wall by 2 meters on 1 side of the property, partly for privacy and protection . Additionally we installed cctv cams in and out as a result from a life threatening altercation with the Thai man who lives on the adjacent property next to ours.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I learned this one when I was growing up in the '60s. 

And then you've got this one. 

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Single was released in November 1995.