Thai parents advised to watch for measles in their young children

snoop1130

Untitled-design-21.png

Seventy-nine people, mostly young children, have been infected with the highly infectious measles virus since the beginning of this year, but there have been no fatalities, according to the Disease Control Department.

35.44% of the patients were children aged under 4, 18.99% were aged from 25 to 34 and 16.46% were aged from 35 to 44. Most of the cases were found in Yasothon, Phuket, Yala, Narathiwat and Bangkok.

The department said most were isolated cases adding, however, that more cases are expected this week as the virus is transmitted through respiratory system.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-parents-advised-to-watch-for-measles-in-their-young-children/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

32 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I thought kids got measles jabs at school. 

Not sure why 'someone' gave the HaHa emoji. Just looked it up and now remember that the kids do get a jab for measles at schcool. MMR jab. Same as I did when I was a kid and I'd imagine everyone else on this forum unless their parents are/were anti vaxers. Why the kids haven't been jabbed is an unknown. Worse than Covid for kids that's for sure. Nearly 61,000 deaths last year. Vaccination for this disease is essential.

Edited by dinsdale

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

And ... queue the anti-vaccers.

I'm not an anti-vaxer just anti MRNA jabs. The reason measles is still around is because people aren't getting vaccinated. It's a vaccine preventable disease unlike Covid where the vaccine does not prevent someone from contracting or spreading the virus.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Nearly 61,000 deaths last year. Vaccination for this disease is essential.

Not TH, and nobody has died from yet this year.  Most recover with no lasting symptoms at all.

Along with most Thais are vaccinated against it.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not TH, and nobody has died from yet this year.  Most recover with no lasting symptoms at all.

Along with most Thais are vaccinated against it.

Sorry my fault. Meant to put globally 2020 on that post.

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Not sure why 'someone' gave the HaHa emoji. Just looked it up and now remember that the kids do get a jab for measles at schcool. MMR jab. Same as I did when I was a kid and I'd imagine everyone else on this forum unless their parents are/were anti vaxers. Why the kids haven't been jabbed is an unknown. Worse than Covid for kids that's for sure. Nearly 61,000 deaths last year. Vaccination for this disease is essential.

61.000 dead of what and where?
Measles was a harmless child disease when I was young, but everyone had to take care to have it as child because it can be terrible when you get it as grown up.
So not being vaccinated while most around you are vaccinated it is a high risk

24 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I'm not an anti-vaxer just anti MRNA jabs. The reason measles is still around is because people aren't getting vaccinated. It's a vaccine preventable disease unlike Covid where the vaccine does not prevent someone from contracting or spreading the virus.

Exactly, if people take the vaccine there will be no deaths. Its not a new problem to Thailand. this article from 2019. 

Fears grow as measles running rampant in southern Thailand

Amid deep-rooted vaccination fears, curable disease makes forceful reappearance with thousands of cases and 22 deaths.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/1/2/fears-grow-as-measles-running-rampant-in-southern-thailand

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a choice parents need to make, as not all agree with all vaccinations.  

One study puts the negative incidents of MMR vaccinations at 5.3 per 100k.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11144371/

Along with, many countries, the disease is no longer endemic, almost:  "According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 42% of the countries in the world and more than half of the European countries, including Switzerland since 2018, no longer have endemic measles circulations in 2019. This means that only rare imported or import-related cases were recorded."

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/krankheiten-im-ueberblick/masern.html

If these are the top 10, then not much of a threat in TH, just something to be aware of, JIC, symptoms appear and get early treatment.

image.png.d70f65cc47d9cdb1c6f2c20f91a9ab15.png

https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/measles/data/global-measles-outbreaks.html

Edited by KhunLA

20 minutes ago, h90 said:

Measles was a harmless child disease when I was young, but everyone had to take care to have it as child because it can be terrible when you get it as grown up.

I've taken care of that in a later post. 61,000 deaths globally 2020.

As for harmless as a child and terrible when grown up:

Measles is a highly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus. Before the introduction of measles vaccine in 1963 and widespread vaccination, major epidemics occurred approximately every 2–3 years and measles caused an estimated 2.6 million deaths each year.

More than 140 000 people died from measles in 2018 – mostly children under the age of 5 years, despite the availability of a safe and effective vaccine.

Unvaccinated young children are at highest risk of measles and its complications, including death.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/measles#:~:text=Most measles-related deaths are,over the age of 30.

Edited by dinsdale

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Exactly, if people take the vaccine there will be no deaths. Its not a new problem to Thailand. this article from 2019. 

Fears grow as measles running rampant in southern Thailand

Amid deep-rooted vaccination fears, curable disease makes forceful reappearance with thousands of cases and 22 deaths.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/1/2/fears-grow-as-measles-running-rampant-in-southern-thailand

From your link, another one of those 'safe & effective' vaccines.

"A local doctor diagnosed Atfan with measles – while rare, children can still become infected even after receiving the first of two injections."

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

"A local doctor diagnosed Atfan with measles – while rare, children can still become infected even after receiving the first of two injections."

And? Did they die?

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Fact:  There have been no deaths shown to be related to the vaccine in healthy people. There have been rare cases of deaths from vaccine side effects among children who are immune compromised, which is why it is recommended that they don’t get the vaccine. That’s why it is so important that everyone who can get vaccinated does so, to protect those who can’t. There are possible side effects from the vaccine, including sore arm (from the shot), fever, mild rash, temporary pain/stiffness in the joints, and a very small risk of febrile seizures or allergic reaction . Vaccines undergo a scientifically rigorous research and vetting process before they are approved. Getting the vaccine is much safer than getting measles. 

https://www.idsociety.org/public-health/measles/myths-and-facts/

The vaccine IS safe. Zero deaths (except from the above mentioned rare cases) from the vaccine in 60 yrs from it's inception. The same of course can not be said about a recent vaccine. As for efficacy the CDC states on the MMr vaccine:

One dose of MMR vaccine is 93% effective against measles, 78% effective against mumps, and 97% effective against rubella.

Two doses of MMR vaccine are 97% effective against measles and 88% effective against mumps.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mmr/public/index.html#:~:text=One dose of MMR vaccine is 93% effective against measles,and 88% effective against mumps.

Edited by dinsdale

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Your guess would be as good as mine.

Seeing as its very rare to catch it once vaccinated, then it would be even rarer to die once vaccinated. Perhaps that fact that the article does not mention a death gives the clue................

Or was there another reason you decided to bring up such a rare occurrence?

9 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Fact:  There have been no deaths shown to be related to the vaccine in healthy people. There have been rare cases of deaths from vaccine side effects among children who are immune compromised, which is why it is recommended that they don’t get the vaccine. That’s why it is so important that everyone who can get vaccinated does so, to protect those who can’t. There are possible side effects from the vaccine, including sore arm (from the shot), fever, mild rash, temporary pain/stiffness in the joints, and a very small risk of febrile seizures or allergic reaction . Vaccines undergo a scientifically rigorous research and vetting process before they are approved. Getting the vaccine is much safer than getting measles. 

https://www.idsociety.org/public-health/measles/myths-and-facts/

The vaccine IS safe and it IS effective. Zero deaths (except from the above mentioned rare cases) from the vaccine in 60 yrs from it's inception. The same of course can not be said about a recent vaccine.

From my link posted above, and nothing suggested in that link, states whether the death was of a healthy or unhealthy person.

"Results: Immunization of 1.8 million individuals and consumption of almost 3 million vaccine doses by the end of 1996 gave rise to 173 potentially serious reactions claimed to have been caused by MMR vaccination. In all, 77 neurologic, 73 allergic and 22 miscellaneous reactions and 1 death were reported"

Remember, reported simply means, it was known, that is all.  How many were not reported, in healthy or unhealthy people.

We'll never know, but stating absolutes and generalization, usually isn't a good idea.  IMHO

30 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I did not get the vaccination.  I remember catching it mildly as a kid. 

I also got mumps

That was much worse. 

My parents were not anti vax.. But in them olden times these vaccinations were not given out at schools.. (1970's in UK). 

But, we were tougher and healthier back  then. Not like the fat, unfit kids you see around today.  

We ran around playing games with friends outside every day, did lots of sports and physical activity at school, ate good food and drank milk and water and sweets were a luxary, mabe a 10 pence mix once a week in a paper bag. 

We did not sit about all day indoors playing on a games console or tablet,  drinking sugary drinks and eating fast food and processed food. 

I did, as did my brothers (3), and we all contracted measles, mumps & chicken pox.  All recovered.   Did the vaccine help ... anyone's guess.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I did, as did my brothers (3), and we all contracted measles, mumps & chicken pox.  All recovered.   Did the vaccine help ... anyone's guess.

As I mentioned above

One dose of MMR vaccine is 93% effective against measles, 78% effective against mumps, and 97% effective against rubella.

Two doses of MMR vaccine are 97% effective against measles and 88% effective against mumps.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mmr/public/index.html#:~:text=One dose of MMR vaccine is 93% effective against measles,and 88% effective against mumps.

After 2 doses 97% efficacy against measles is very good. Obviously some like yourself and your brothers may still get it but herd immunity should protect the population as a whole. This is why anti-vaxers and those not vaccinated for other reasons puts the elimination of measles at risk as it it still able to circulate.

I've taken care of that in a later post. 61,000 deaths globally 2020.

As for harmless as a child and terrible when grown up:

Measles is a highly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus. Before the introduction of measles vaccine in 1963 and widespread vaccination, major epidemics occurred approximately every 2–3 years and measles caused an estimated 2.6 million deaths each year.

More than 140 000 people died from measles in 2018 – mostly children under the age of 5 years, despite the availability of a safe and effective vaccine.

Unvaccinated young children are at highest risk of measles and its complications, including death.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/measles#:~:text=Most measles-related deaths are,over the age of 30.

Can't find your post about 61.000 deaths....
When I was a child the vaccine was there already, but I very much overreacted to a other vaccine so our doctor recommended to not take the risk of vaccination.
But it was discussed in the extended family....at this time measles parties were still known but not in fashion anymore. No one in the extended family knew a single case of serious complication or death from measles. And when I had it, I was happy because I could stay at home and play. And people were funny about my mother for calling the doctor for such a harmless thing. But I know it is very deadly in malnutrition countries.
And btw. back when the vaccine came out the story was...we vaccinate everyone, in a few years, maybe in a decade the disease is eliminated and than we don't need to vaccinate against it anymore. So we need to do it for the better of the world....Seems to not have happened.

13 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

As I mentioned above

After 2 doses 97% efficacy against measles is very good. Obviously some like yourself and your brothers may still get it but herd immunity should protect the population as a whole. This is why anti-vaxers and those not vaccinated for other reasons puts the elimination of measles at risk as it it still able to circulate.

I guess my brothers and myself, along with most other childhood friends, fell through the 'vaccination cracks', as most people, kids, I know in our neighborhood, contracted all 3.

Have a nice day

Edited by KhunLA

15 minutes ago, h90 said:

Can't find your post about 61.000 deaths....
When I was a child the vaccine was there already, but I very much overreacted to a other vaccine so our doctor recommended to not take the risk of vaccination.
But it was discussed in the extended family....at this time measles parties were still known but not in fashion anymore. No one in the extended family knew a single case of serious complication or death from measles. And when I had it, I was happy because I could stay at home and play. And people were funny about my mother for calling the doctor for such a harmless thing. But I know it is very deadly in malnutrition countries.
And btw. back when the vaccine came out the story was...we vaccinate everyone, in a few years, maybe in a decade the disease is eliminated and than we don't need to vaccinate against it anymore. So we need to do it for the better of the world....Seems to not have happened.

"In 2020, 23 million children missed out on all basic childhood vaccines. That’s the highest number seen since 2009 and 3.7 million more than in 2019."

https://www.unicef.org/stories/measles-cases-spiking-globally

Maybe a focus on another virus had something to do with this.

"In 2020, 23 million children missed out on all basic childhood vaccines. That’s the highest number seen since 2009 and 3.7 million more than in 2019."

https://www.unicef.org/stories/measles-cases-spiking-globally

Maybe a focus on another virus had something to do with this.

not so valid for 2020, but for 2022 and 2023 a lot people get very hesitant with every vaccine. Not believing anything anymore. I think a difficult situation for parents.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/26/2023 at 8:58 AM, h90 said:

I don't know about it being harmless. According to WHO figures in 2019 207,500 people died from Measles.

• Thumbs Up 1