Thailand’s biggest serial killer suspect legally protected from the death penalty as horror grows

webfact

Is it actually clear the poison is Potassium cyanide ? Or maybe more likely a kind of Warfarin, available in pharmacies??

The description of the victims with bleeding  out of mouth and nose seems to me more directed to Warfarin.

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Tricky one, I'm not sure how many months gone she is, The welfare of the child will come first and I think she is allowed to keep the baby in prison up to the age of 3, I think she would be sentenced before then. 

Sadly this child will have a terrible start to life - The childs father (not the policeman ex-husband) is perhaps unsurprisingly in this instance, dead - allegedly another victim of this lunatic. This poor kid is going to be born to a mother, who not only killed the childs father, but is also potentially Thailand worse serial killer and as a result has to spend their childhood in Thailand Orphanages which are not especially well funded. I hope that a nice foreign family can adopt this child and give the kid the chance of a new life abroad with a clean slate. 

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Is it actually clear the poison is Potassium cyanide ? Or maybe more likely a kind of Warfarin, available in pharmacies??

The description of the victims with bleeding  out of mouth and nose seems to me more directed to Warfarin.

She was found with a bottle of what the Thai media describes a cyanide - (& I believe the police have confirmed this in subsequent media briefings)- in her handbag when arrested. 

6 hours ago, tandor said:

i have read some countries have allowed those pregnant prisoners to give birth then proceeded with the execution after the new born has been placed in Foster Care. Im trying to find some references to post.

She is protected for only 3 years after the birth of her child. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Being jailed for the rest of your life with no chance of parole is worse than death specially when the offender is young, although I'm not sure what is the penalties for a mother with a newly born baby,

just curios, are those cyanide pills so easily available to buy? 

Apparently. Why do you ask?

4 hours ago, Mad mick said:

Amazing Thailand cyanide escapes death penalty ???????? f_up 

Hard to believe a TV member commenting before reading the full report ???? ???? f_up ???? 

Protection afforded to pregnant women from death penalty under Thailand’s Criminal Procedure Act

However, under Section 247 of the Criminal Procedure Act in Thailand, there is a provision whereby the sentence of death cannot be applied to a woman until after three years from the birth of her child in custody.

‘Any woman sentenced to death, if pregnant, must be allowed wait until the expiration of three years from the time of giving birth or reduce the death penalty to life imprisonment. Unless the child dies before the expiration of the said period. During the three years from the date of birth, she shall bring up her child as is appropriate in a place suitable for child rearing in prison,’

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I think that so far everyone she has killed either lent her money, invested money, or gave her money to "look after".

What a psychopath.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

and how are they doing that when they are in prison? 

Hmm!..a partner or friend can secretly hand it to them on visitations..guards have been bribed before and lawyers have been know to pass items.

Like this....

Nguyen Thi Hue, 42, is expected to give birth in April after inseminating herself in August 2015 with semen she bought from a fellow inmate at a northern Vietnamese prison, the English-language website of the state-owned Thanh Nien newspaper reported.Feb 17, 2559 BE

44 minutes ago, tandor said:

Hmm!..a partner or friend can secretly hand it to them on visitations..guards have been bribed before and lawyers have been know to pass items.

Like this....

Nguyen Thi Hue, 42, is expected to give birth in April after inseminating herself in August 2015 with semen she bought from a fellow inmate at a northern Vietnamese prison, the English-language website of the state-owned Thanh Nien newspaper reported.Feb 17, 2559 BE

So we are talking one edge case and the likelihood of it happen again are really minute, right? 

8 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

There have only been three executions in Thailand (by lethal injection) since 2003.

Two in 2009, one in 2018.

With a death row in excess of 500 sentenced prisoners, whatever some may wish for, a death sentence seems less likely to be carried out.

If you check there was a young guy executed not long ago, because there was some sort of cover up and they wanted him out the way quickly, I’m pretty certain it was within the last two years, but I could be wrong time goes so fast.

21 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

If you check there was a young guy executed not long ago, because there was some sort of cover up and they wanted him out the way quickly, I’m pretty certain it was within the last two years, but I could be wrong time goes so fast.

You could have checked. 

Theerasak Longji, 26, was executed by lethal injection on 18 June 2018.

Before this, the last executions to take place in Thailand were of two drug traffickers in August 2009, after a period of no executions since 2003, according to Amnesty International.

Amnesty International in their annual report released  May 2023 noted that Thailand continued to commute death sentences.

You’re soo quick to issue death sentences.

Do you remember this story?

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2834252/innocent-boy-14-executed-electric-chair-south-carolina/
The crowd there probably also talked about the horrendous murder and warranty against reoffending.

The problem with death sentences isn’t their humanity or inhumanity. The problem is they’re irreversible. 
A death sentence can be applied only if there’s 100.1% certainty that the person is guilty, i.e. if the person is caught blood handed on the crime scene with the weapon in hand, there are multiple video records of the crime and fifty independent witnesses testifying against him.

If there is even a 0.0001% of doubt- there shouldn’t be death penalty. 
Because no overturning of the conviction and no excuses will bring the innocent victim of the state murder back to life. 
In this case I don’t think that the woman’s guilt cam be proven with 100.1% certainty. 99% - maybe, but that’s not enough.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, cnx101 said:

This guy ?

He was found guilty of murder 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theerasak_Longji

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

So we are talking one edge case and the likelihood of it happen again are really minute, right? 

i dont know..a Poster asked how..i just gave some examples

• Like 1

"The harrowing story comes as concerns also grow that the alleged killer, Ms Sararat, also now known infamously as ‘Am Cyanide’ may be legally protected from the death penalty because of her pregnancy under Thailand’s legal system"

At the rate the Thai justice system often proceeds, with numerous potential appeals and other stuff, the woman's unborn child could well be graduating from high school before the case against this woman is finally settled.

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That's a good thing. Because you could write it another way and say being pregnant will condemn her to spending the rest of her life enjoying the delights of a Thai jail. A much better punishment.

At the same time it raises an interesting point. There are those who say that executing someone is inhumane, but those same people would see spending 20-30 years in a squalid jail as a humane alternative.

I would say that the inhumanity starts with the victim, and at that point the murderer has lost all their human rights.

2 hours ago, tim716 said:

You’re soo quick to issue death sentences.

Do you remember this story?

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2834252/innocent-boy-14-executed-electric-chair-south-carolina/
The crowd there probably also talked about the horrendous murder and warranty against reoffending.

The problem with death sentences isn’t their humanity or inhumanity. The problem is they’re irreversible. 
A death sentence can be applied only if there’s 100.1% certainty that the person is guilty, i.e. if the person is caught blood handed on the crime scene with the weapon in hand, there are multiple video records of the crime and fifty independent witnesses testifying against him.

If there is even a 0.0001% of doubt- there shouldn’t be death penalty. 
Because no overturning of the conviction and no excuses will bring the innocent victim of the state murder back to life. 
In this case I don’t think that the woman’s guilt cam be proven with 100.1% certainty. 99% - maybe, but that’s not enough.

Equally there is no chance that the innocent victim will be brought back to life either, so why should I care about a guilty murderer?