Facial recognition required for some online services from Thai banks

snoop1130

Thailand-bank_web.png

PHOTO: Thai PBS World

All Thai banks will soon require facial recognition via the National Digital ID platform for customers wishing to make large withdrawals, according to a Coconuts report.

The same technology used at airports and shopping malls will now be deployed to confirm a person’s identity if they wish to withdraw sums of 50,000 baht or more, transfer more than 200,000 baht a day, or increase their transfer limit to more than 50,000 baht.

Bangkok Bank has confirmed the move, in a text recently issued to customers.

Full Story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/facial-recognition-required-for-some-online-services-from-thai-banks/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-05-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Received the text from Bangkok Bank a few days ago. I went to the nearest branch today and was told I would have to come back again in 5-7 business days because my (new) passport number didn't match their records. Wonder what sort of hoops I'll be asked to jump through next?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Received the text from Bangkok Bank a few days ago. I went to the nearest branch today and was told I would have to come back again in 5-7 business days because my (new) passport number didn't match their records. Wonder what sort of hoops I'll be asked to jump through next?

Do you have a Thai pink ID card?

I was recently at a big K Bank branch, the supervisor was hovering around, she noriced my pink ID card.

She politely said, advanced English, when you have finished this matter please change you rID number from your currnt passport to the pink ID card because it will then be good for lifetime. She also mentioned the bank (I guess all banks) had been instructed to promptly chnage to using pink ID card numbers instead of passport number (where the foreigner has a pink ID card of course).

A week later I did a transaction at BBL, I asked the teller to change my ID number from passport to pink ID card number, she promptly called the supervisor, my ID number changed to pink ID card number  quickly. 

Supervisor politely mentioned that all banks are experiencing much increased serious problems with fraud and misuse of ID processes and customers can expect more changes to ID matters coming soon.

My Thai adult son asked her 'do you mean for foreigners or Thai citizens'?

Her response was 'everybody', then she continued, 'we have to use a consistent system for all customers and the reality is that the level of fraud etc., is much higher re Thai customers compared to foreigner customers'. 

Edited by scorecard

7 hours ago, fusion58 said:

As banks use your passport for identification, I don't see an issue with the query?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

The first thing you do when you received a new passport is to go to the bank and update their records

Which I did , ( Bkk Bank ) and was told , " no have to now , will do it if after if problem ".

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RobU said:

Interesting,

To get this facility you have to get your photo taken at the bank branch

I am disabled, my nearest branch of Bangkok Bank is in Phon Phisai, Nong Khai District.

A Beautiful building with 2 long flights of stairs to enter because the main entrance is on the second floor (i.e. 3rd floor for Americans) 

No handrails whatsoever on the first flight no way for elderly or disabled customers to get into the building

Many Bangkok Bank branches are inaccessible

This policy is designed to  make life difficult for elderly and disabled people

I have a mate who doesn't get around much. He moved his account to a branch in a Mall. Which offers wheelchairs at the entrance. Not Nong Khai though.

1 hour ago, RobU said:

Interesting,

To get this facility you have to get your photo taken at the bank branch

I am disabled, my nearest branch of Bangkok Bank is in Phon Phisai, Nong Khai District.

A Beautiful building with 2 long flights of stairs to enter because the main entrance is on the second floor (i.e. 3rd floor for Americans) 

No handrails whatsoever on the first flight no way for elderly or disabled customers to get into the building

Many Bangkok Bank branches are inaccessible

This policy is designed to  make life difficult for elderly and disabled people

Naturally, I don’t think it was some kind of deliberate, planned and purposeful attempt to somehow render their offices inaccessible.. by doing so, one could also argue that by doing so they would then be prohibiting customer or money from coming IN … so… 

That accessibility issue aside, the BBL at Paragon used a portable USB-style webcam clipped to the top of the computer, to take my photo and it was clipped to a bank-owned laptop (the laptop had a BBL property control ID type sticker on it visible) 

So.. perhaps IF the branch has this, it would be possible for the bank staff to come downstairs to you, to get the process done..

Just thinking outside the box if you will. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

What happens if you get your face smashed up in an accident, and you're in the hospital needing to transfer money to pay a bill?

Than anyway your mobile phone is broken and all the bank apps are only on the mobile phone and you can't remember the details

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So you had a worker who doesn't know the rules. you should by now as it has been explained loads of times in another thread for you.

I know the rules thanks, also received the sms messages, I'm just reporting back the type of response you can get from staff

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, new2here said:

Naturally, I don’t think it was some kind of deliberate, planned and purposeful attempt to somehow render their offices inaccessible.. by doing so, one could also argue that by doing so they would then be prohibiting customer or money from coming IN … so… 

That accessibility issue aside, the BBL at Paragon used a portable USB-style webcam clipped to the top of the computer, to take my photo and it was clipped to a bank-owned laptop (the laptop had a BBL property control ID type sticker on it visible) 

So.. perhaps IF the branch has this, it would be possible for the bank staff to come downstairs to you, to get the process done..

Just thinking outside the box if you will. 

I recently went to this branch and my wife asked for someone to come down and help. She was repeatedly refused until I got angry and told her to tell them that I would be making a formal complaint and publishing my experience on social media. A polite young very junior member of staff was then sent down to assist me I doubt very much they would make any effort to use a laptop

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1