Crackdown on crime wave against Chinese tourists in Bangkok as concerns also raised on cannabis 

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Police has launched a campaign to root out dangerous criminal elements from among the growing number of Chinese visitors with the screening of incoming travellers for prior criminal histories

And how do they achieve this when a criminal comes in hidden within a tour group?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Every person in a tour group now has to apply for a visa individually, rather than the previous method when the tour company applied for the entire group. That was in the news a few days ago.

And a criminal background check is done at the Thai embassy in China?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Police has launched a campaign to root out

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

And how do they achieve this when a criminal comes in hidden within a tour group?

The campaign does that. The police launch it. The campaign roots the criminals out! It's RTP science.

• Like 1

Reading BBC today and the HUGE Mafia bust in Europe with ties

to the Chinese mafia is enough to give one pause. It's easier to

bribe Thai police than Chinese police, one would assume. Thus the

extra vigilance here in LOS.

Chinese Tourists?!?

How is this considered a crackdown on crime wave against chinese tourists? I don't understand or maybe the headline is wrong. Which chinese tourists are being arrested in this "crime wave"? 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

monitoring of Chinese arrivals in tourist hotspots such as Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket.

Will they have checkpoints on entering these "Hotspots"? Just how will they implement these extra checks at Airports ? So no extra checks on the Chinese if going to the 'Hotspot"???? Chiang Mai 

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Every person in a tour group now has to apply for a visa individually, rather than the previous method when the tour company applied for the entire group. That was in the news a few days ago.

And a criminal background check is done at the Thai embassy in China?

I don't know. Ask them, if you're interested.

3 hours ago, Rig Pig said:

Chinese Tourists?!?

How is this considered a crackdown on crime wave against chinese tourists? I don't understand or maybe the headline is wrong. Which chinese tourists are being arrested in this "crime wave"? 

Zero dollar Chinese tourists using Chinese Triad owned hotels, bars, restaurants, souvenir shops, tour buses etc. in Thailand??

6 hours ago, bradiston said:

If you read the article cited, and the media comments it quotes, it turns out that most of the negative perception of the so called legalisation of cannabis in Thailand is centered on the notion you might unknowingly eat some of it, given it could have been added to anything you order (food being the main preoccupation of Chinese tourists, presumably). Still, better than a spoonful of potassium cyanide, I guess.

It admits that monitoring Chinese media content is immensely hampered by the savage censorship of all Chinese media platforms. Any mention of cannabis, let alone legalisation, will be ruthlessly excised. Big Brother approved propaganda only.

I remember "Happy Herb Pizza" in Phnom Penh, where cannabis (if you want) was sprinkled on your pizza, the amount equates from "Happy" to "Very Happy"????.

I talked to a bar owner that I knew who owned a bar just down the road. He said, almost without exception, when people come into his bar after being there they do the same thing:

1. Sit down

2. Order a drink

3. Fall asleep

(Not very good for business!?).

Edited by Andrew65

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has begun to crack down on criminal elements entering the country from China at the same time as the Metropolitan Police Bureau has begun to suppress illegal activities by Chinese underworld operators in the capital.

Ah, so the correct headline for the OP should be "Crackdown on Crime Wave By Chinese Tourists in Bangkok"

I think it is a repetition of what started approx. 100 years ago in the United States with Italian immigrants and the mafia. Given the present dedication of Thailand's finest with their open purses and highway robbery attitude in most cases, I can only wish "GOOD LUCK". 

The Chinese, specially  the less than legal crowd, is WAY smarter than the resident crooks in the Land of Smiles!