Two German Pedestrians Seriously Injured After Being Hit by Sedan in Pattaya

webfact

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The right wheels are about on the double yellow lines so what makes you say that? Crossing a 4 lane/2 way Rd without there being any central reservation is very dangerous. 

That road has 2 lanes on either side & to me it looks like the driver is in the outside lane of the oncoming traffic so is on the wrong side of the road. 

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, tgw said:

I wonder what the driver's excuse will be as to why he could not react in time to avoid the collision.

I don't know what actually  happened, so why would the driver need an excuse if the two guys walking home from a bar walked on to the road without looking.

The report says the driver waited for the police, the fact that he waited till the police came and was very cooperative would tell you that he was not drunk.

I would say that it is likely that the two guys walking home from a bar walked on to the road without looking.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Seeall said:

well, tourists especially CN love to wander in the middle of the road.....  not sorry at all for them...  its a road not a walkway!

yeah....I see it all the time, those pesky tourists wandering around in circles in the middle of the road. The fact is that if you were a tourist you would most likely be distracted by any number of sights and happenings that are new to you, making you more susceptible to an accident. But to say you are "not sorry at all for them" seems more than a little heartless.  

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Crossing the road is very serious business in Thailand. No regard is given to pedestrians. One must do so without extreme care. Especially if one has been drinking. 

Probably better to do so WITH care.

Especially if pi33ed.

23 hours ago, Mavideol said:

when I saw the title my mind just went into the Hit and Run type of accident, glad it's not the case as the driver stayed and he's cooperative

when I saw the title I immediately thought Pattaya 2 a.m. 

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A lot of onlookers in the link photo... seems the place is alive and well at 2am,

looking at the front row the girls could make  a decent back row in a rugby game... 

That's what I thought. But that's how the Indians like them, I'm led to believe.????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I don't know what actually  happened, so why would the driver need an excuse if the two guys walking home from a bar walked on to the road without looking.

The report says the driver waited for the police, the fact that he waited till the police came and was very cooperative would tell you that he was not drunk.

I would say that it is likely that the two guys walking home from a bar walked on to the road without looking.

Perhaps they thought that they were back in Germany/EU, where the traffic drives on the other side of the road.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

That road has 2 lanes on either side & to me it looks like the driver is in the outside lane of the oncoming traffic so is on the wrong side of the road. 

That may well here been where he finally stopped, after trying to avoid them.

6 hours ago, Victor Laszlo said:
15 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I wouldn’t say the Germans were extremely careful  but they stopped (in the middle of the road) whilst crossing so the driver should have seen them. 

They certainly didn’t step out in front of the driver from behind a parked car or anything. 

Looks very much like the car was on the wrong side of the double yellow lines upon impact.

Going by the reports and the video, it would appear that the car turned right on to the main road, but instead of joining the lane, drove down the the wrong side of the road partially over the centreline (i.e. left side of the car over the centreline).

The unfortunate Geman men did nothing wrong except try to cross a road as safely as they could when a careless driver mowed them down because he was driving without care and attention. 

I hate being forced to wait in the middle of the road like this for this very reason... 

As always, crossing a road in Thailand is ridiculously hazardous and from a Western perspective, the risk is wholly unnecessary and purely a facet of the insular carelessness and selfishness that the drivers here switch to when they enter a vehicle. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

There's a video in this thread... The driver didn’t try and stop to avoid them at all. 

In the Op it is reported that the driver claims he didn’t see the German men crossing the road. 

The video clearly shows the two German men crossing half of the road (traffic coming from the right) and waiting in the centre for an opportunity to continue cross the remaining half of the road (with traffic coming from the left), when a car approaching from the left driving partially down the centre of the multilane road nearly splitting the lane but mostly in the wrong lane in the wrong direction and impacting the two German men without any avoiding action. 

This is the link posted by NextG (poster) on the second page of this thread: 

https://www.77kaoded.com/news/sangk/2434167

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 09.31.13.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The road is pretty well lit, the two German gents were crossing the road in a manner that many of us do (taking reasonable precautions) and the car, mostly on the wrong side of the road (quite clearly from the video) hit them with what seems like no attempt to slow down / avoid them.

There can be zero acceptable excuse for the driver not to have seen them. He was not looking where his car was going, or he is blind. Either way he shouldn't have a license.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most comments on here seem to automatically blame the driver. As someone who has driven here for a long time I can tell you some tourists actually walk in front of cars to try to make them stop so they can cross the road. Never understood that myself. Thai people for the most part do not do this, they will wait for a gap as would seem sensible. Don't know what happened here but it's a daily occurrence driving in Pattaya that some tourists will just walk across a road expecting everyone to see them and then stop for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

The road is pretty well lit, the two German gents were crossing the road in a manner that many of us do (taking reasonable precautions) and the car, mostly on the wrong side of the road (quite clearly from the video) hit them with what seems like no attempt to slow down / avoid them.

There can be zero acceptable excuse for the driver not to have seen them. He was not looking where his car was going, or he is blind. Either way he shouldn't have a license.

Agreed.....  Perhaps his window tint was really dark?...  

I’m surprised he actually stopped...  (That says a lot about driving here).... 

Regardless, the driver clearly 100% at fault... driving down ‘mostly’ the wrong side the road. 

In fact had he been 'just a little bit more’ on the wrong side of the road he’d have missed the German guys altogether !!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Have you watched the Video? You can see clearly that the car is on the wrong side of the middle lines when it hits them. 

The driver pulled over to the correct side of the road after the accident. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Nobody has seemed to pick up the fact bars were not supposed to be selling alcohol last night, clearly beer bottles on the tables

You didn’t pick up on the ‘date and time’ in the first few lines of the main article !!

2am on Saturday... thus very late Friday night (very early hours Sat).

On 5/6/2023 at 6:21 AM, spidermike007 said:

Crossing the road is very serious business in Thailand. No regard is given to pedestrians. One must do so without extreme care. Especially if one has been drinking. 

yes yes yes cant be too carefull

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

I think the Thai driver was turning around to go in the opp direction, which was why he he was looking for oncoming traffic and not at  the two men crossing in front of him. 

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You didn’t pick up on the ‘date and time’ in the first few lines of the main article !!

2am on Saturday... thus very late Friday night (very early hours Sat).

I must cut back on the weed, thanks for pointing it out

1 hour ago, Kevin Taylor said:

Most comments on here seem to automatically blame the driver. As someone who has driven here for a long time I can tell you some tourists actually walk in front of cars to try to make them stop so they can cross the road. Never understood that myself. Thai people for the most part do not do this, they will wait for a gap as would seem sensible. Don't know what happened here but it's a daily occurrence driving in Pattaya that some tourists will just walk across a road expecting everyone to see them and then stop for them.

Have you watched the video and read all the posts from the beginning?

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because the driver is clearly 100% to blame - watch the video (link is posted on page 2 and above).

Driving here for 20 years... I see most tourists taking extreme caution.

Conversely to your experience I see Thai’s walking down the road with their back to traffic, or stepping out in the road without any concern for traffic - there self preservation seems surprisingly limited, especially on smaller soi’s.

I do see some ’tourists’ behave in what could be described as a ‘commanding manner’ - that is to say through their body language and actions they leave little room for doubt, they don't hesitate and they let the on coming driver know they are crossing (often putting up a hand etc)...  

Sometimes, the roads are so buys with relatively slow flowing traffic that a person has little choice but to force the vehicle to stop. Its the same when driving and pulling out of a side road into busy traffic, we have to ‘force’ the other vehicle to stop because they’ll never give way. 

This is not what happened in this accident though - the German guys were not doing any of the above.

Agree and disagree... some are careful, some aren’t... some are outrageously careless, others are so cautious and hesitant....  Even when driving when I do stop to let a Thai person across it seems to take them an age to acknowledge this and they take forever to cross !!!.

Video link above - German guys not at fault. Car driver totally careless, didn’t see the German guys waiting on the centreline.

Yep I have watched the video. To me they are stood in the middle of the road, doesn't really matter that they are standing on the white line. Don't do that, Lane discipline isn't for <deleted> here. Don't assume people will drive in their lane and be paying attention. That being said I feel bad for the guys and yes now I see the video the driver was not paying attention. My point is don't give anyone the chance to run you over. Seriously if you have to wait 5 mins to get a gap to cross the road then wait 5 min. If the traffic is too busy then cross somewhere else otherwise your putting your life in the hands of someone else. If your dead it's not really relevant who's fault it is your still dead.

Anyone reading this can cross the road however they want I However do not trust Pattaya drivers so I won't give them the chance to kill me.

On 5/6/2023 at 1:17 PM, tgw said:

I wonder what the driver's excuse will be as to why he could not react in time to avoid the collision.

Perhaps he has a valid excuse.  He didn't flee so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.