Thai villagers complain to Election Commission over alleged vote-buying

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

and the villagers recorded clear video evidence of the candidate handing out money to attendees

Isn't there a party which promised to hand out 10,000B to everybody if they are elected? ... 

• Like 1

Number four has been offering money here.

Last election money was handed out for votes but they would say it was for gas maney so you could attend their rallies.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BoganInParasite said:

Very disappointed the wife has never been approached by anyone to buy her vote. Instead she seems very keen on making up her own mind.

Mine picked up 500 baht last night - but still makes her own mind up  ????

• Thumbs Up 1

If anybody wants to know how vote buying works successfully, I recommend this book:

Guns, Girls, Gambling, Ganja: Thailand's Illegal Economy and Public Policy: Phongpaichit, Pasuk, Piriyarangsan, Sungsidh, Treerat, Nualnoi: 9789747100754: Amazon.com: Books

Politicians are smart enough to find ways that people actually vote for them to get (more) money.

• Like 1

I keep on telling the same to all my staff for decades; take all the money you can get and vote for whatever you feel like. If you are too confused or uncertain, stay at home. Nobody will ever come back and complain for not having voted for them as the latter is - according to the local regulations - illegal. 

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If anybody wants to know how vote buying works successfully, I recommend this book:

Guns, Girls, Gambling, Ganja: Thailand's Illegal Economy and Public Policy: Phongpaichit, Pasuk, Piriyarangsan, Sungsidh, Treerat, Nualnoi: 9789747100754: Amazon.com: Books

Politicians are smart enough to find ways that people actually vote for them to get (more) money.

Thanks for the recommendation. The book is from 1998, the year I first came to Thailand, but I'm sure most of its content still applies. Very little seems to have changed in the intervening 25 years.

57 minutes ago, roquefort said:

Thanks for the recommendation. The book is from 1998, the year I first came to Thailand, but I'm sure most of its content still applies. Very little seems to have changed in the intervening 25 years.

I read it about that time and it opened my eyes.

And as far as I remember I wouldn't be surprised if the vote buying still works that way.

The book also describes many other areas of Thai business. I can recommend it for everybody. 

This practice doesn't rest well with Western sensibilities but has been going on forever and will continue to do so. 

Falang will never influence anything here so no point trying but still a fantastic holiday destination. Don't mix business with pleasure and all's well for Johnny Foreigner.