Englishman fights for his life after motorbike crash in Phuket, Thailand

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

READ the Full Story...:post-4641-1156694572:

I read the story. It says: "Luckily Liam’s friend has supported him through this but is only able to visit him for an hour a day so we know nothing about the other 23 hours of his time/ treatment."

It does not say the hospital is limiting visitation, it only says that the friend is only able to visit him for an hour a day. It has been my experience that Thai hospitals are generally very accommodating with visitors. 

In any event, if Liam is in the ICU, it makes sense that visitation would be very limited, if allowed at all. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It has been my experience that Thai hospitals are generally very accommodating with visitors. 

Government one's yes you can stay 24/7, Private ones which he is in have limited visiting times.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Ever since people rode on two wheels there has been this sort of carnage, and that is everywhere, not just here. One dumb mistake, yours or the other guy’s, is all it takes. Poor guy, and his family. I no longer make my mistakes on two wheels, but something will get me sooner or later

I hope things work out for this guy, very sad.

In my 20 years in Thailand I studiously avoided riding on motorbikes/taxi, due to the roads being so dangerous, and not wanting X million Baht medical bills.

Everyone can say what they like .

The Naked Truth is that there always be people Young & not so Young that will go traveling into the unknown off the country they are going to and Not have red their travel insurance (if they have one) to see what they are covered for .

Now then ,If the Government is going to introduce the Extra arrival tax  and Exit tax than there will be Billions THB to cover for the few accidents that are occur now involving Foreigners if they aren't covered by /with insurance.

25 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Everyone can say what they like .

The Naked Truth is that there always be people Young & not so Young that will go traveling into the unknown off the country they are going to and Not have red their travel insurance (if they have one) to see what they are covered for .

Now then ,If the Government is going to introduce the Extra arrival tax  and Exit tax than there will be Billions THB to cover for the few accidents that are occur now involving Foreigners if they aren't covered by /with insurance.

As always, the responsible many will be punished for the actions of the irresponsible few. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I can't speak to this particular hospital, but I've stayed 24/7 with my wife at BNH, BKK Hospital and Bumrungrad, and she's stayed with me 24/7 at Bumrungrad, BKK hospital and Sikarin. 

You know not of what you speak. 

But not in ICU or CCU. I have friend right now in BKK Hospital and visiting only 2 hours morning and 2 hours evening. Including his wife. And I know what I speak, as I was there 2 days ago.

Edited by LivinginKata

So sad yet again, glass stuck in his head, so no helmet… Speed is a factor or he could have stopped or slowed way down,… Skills come into question, alcohol?? Regardless he has a long road back if he can make it through this.. with that level of blood loss have to think possible brain damage too… What a terrible time for all involved… Hope he can pull through this!!

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So his friend can only visit 1hr a day, the downfall of private hospitals,

What is that supposed to mean?   You think that private hospitals normally restrict visiting to an hour a day?  Nonsense.  Visiting, that also depends on the patient's condition, is normally unrestricted between certain morning and early evening hours.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou

18 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

But not in ICU or CCU. I have friend right now in BKK Hospital and visiting only 2 hours morning and 2 hours evening. Including his wife. And I know what I speak, as I was there 2 days ago.

Yes, so visiting is permitted for four hours a day, hardly a devastating restriction.

12 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

That's what I said in a previous post, you must have missed it. And it would be no different in a government or any competent hospital. 

post.thumb.jpg.bde8d92cc0148e5a889a30cdcdd46587.jpg

Can his family tell us if:

1 he has a full motorbike license in the UK.

2 does he have an IDP.

If the answer to either of these questions is no then I have no sympathy for him.

3 was he wearing a helmet. (Glass in the head would suggest not) Illegal on the road.

The Thai police should impound and destroy the bike if any of thee above are true and take action against the rental company for lack of due diligence. This might help to ensure proper diligence by the rental companies.

Can the family say whether he was a rider in the UK.

Basically, like a high proportion of tourists, not just from the UK, they are riding Illegaly here and must be prepared to suffer the consequences of their actions and not expect other people to bail them out.

Just now, CFCol said:

2 does he have an IDP.

If the answer to either of these questions is no then I have no sympathy for him.

3 was he wearing a helmet. (Glass in the head would suggest not) Illegal on the road.

The Thai police should impound and destroy the bike if any of thee above are true and take action against the rental company for lack of due diligence. This might help to ensure proper diligence by the rental companies.

Basically, like a high proportion of tourists, not just from the UK, they are riding Illegaly here and must be prepared to suffer the consequences of their actions and not expect other people to bail them out.

Nope, if the bike rental shop let him loose on a bike with no licence, then they are responsible.

No bike, no accident.....

If I were a youngster with no licence, in a foreign country on holiday, I would have rented one for a bit of fun if the shops alloyed....:stoner:

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Sounds like he is in very bad shape. What a nightmare for his family. 

Bizarre that his friends pull glass out of his throat. That is basic medic 101 stuff. Never remove an object from the throat, without the help of a medical  expert. Never, ever. 

Wonder what the actual circumstances were. The pothole story has alot of holes in it. Was he a skilled driver? Was he wearing a high quality helmet? Was he sober? Was another vehicle involved? So many questions. 

Why? Have you riden in Thailand? The roads can be great or the total opposit and pot holes are common on some roads. The poor guy would be alive if they had left the glass in place just like the poor Steve with the stingray.

8 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Absolute B/Sit is the persons individual responsibility to ensure you are insured,not the host county. Tales of motorbicycle accidents are legendary and he problems of not being correctly insured. s with anything buyer beware, your life in in your hands. Failure could result in death  

so you suggest the person is left to die?

Very, very sad, but yet another story about fundraising and something is missing in the article about insurance and cover – or the insurance is missing. Travel insurance is a must and knowing the conditions is also a must.

16 minutes ago, CFCol said:

2 does he have an IDP.

So if you have "no sympathy" for him he should receive no medical treatment and die? 

Edited by kwilco

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Very, very sad, but yet another story about fundraising and something is missing in the article about insurance and cover – or the insurance is missing. Travel insurance is a must and knowing the conditions is also a must.

So what do you suggest?

2 minutes ago, kwilco said:
6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

So what do you suggest?

"Travel insurance is a must and knowing the conditions is also a must."

8 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Absolute B/Sit is the persons individual responsibility to ensure you are insured,not the host county. Tales of motorbicycle accidents are legendary and he problems of not being correctly insured. s with anything buyer beware, your life in in your hands. Failure could result in death 

Agree! Providing the renter is an adult the responsibility for appropriate licence and insurance rests with them. They are responsible for their actions. Can't expect rental people to be police. 

This problem will occur over and over again – it is inevitable and Thailand needs to address it – just stating the “bleedin’ obvious” achieves nothing. Thailand gets up to 20% of GDP from tourism and they have a duty to their customers….both to inform and care for them. The Thai health service is nowhere near as good as people think and ethically it is highly questionable. They need to take a leaf out of western healthcare in these circumstances…

If an uninsured foreigner has serious injuries from a motorcycle crash in the UK, they will still receive medical treatment regardless of their insurance status. The UK National Health Service (NHS), will provide free healthcare to anyone who needs it, including visitors to the country.

Subsequently, the injured person can be liable for the cost of the medical treatment they received. If they cannot afford to pay for their treatment, they may be asked to sign a form agreeing to pay the cost of the treatment at a later date or the hospital may try to recover the cost from their travel insurance if they have one.

In addition to medical costs, the foreigner may face legal consequences for driving without insurance. As in Thailand, in the UK, it is illegal to drive a vehicle without insurance, and if caught, the person may face penalties such as fines, points on their driving license, or even a driving ban. They may also be liable for any damage caused to other vehicles or property as a result of the accident. The difference is that the UK is capable of chasing up and enforcing these things – it seems in Thailand the solution is to moan at the victim and family and then let them die from sub-par treatment

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1