Anyone have any experience with Redmi phones?

46 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Strange, my 9 still has playstore

Mine also still has Play Store but the phone doesn't use it to download apps and updates unless it is specifically selected, instead it uses Get Apps as its default. Perhaps you should check and see where your updates are being downloaded from. My wife tells me this is a big deal for many Thai's who are moving away from Xiaomi because of a lack of trust of the apps.

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have the 9 and don't have this problem, sounds like because i only use sim data so wifi wouldn't cause this

It's a known problem, but it's not a common one (if it was it would most likely have been fixed). Nobody seems to know exactly what triggers it but, yes, if you only use mobile data and don't have wifi switched on it's likely it would never affect you.

11 hours ago, JayClay said:

Some devices, for whatever reason, fill up the system partition with wifi logs and these never get deleted. The net result is that the available internal storage space slowly goes down 

Where on  your phone can you check to see how full the wifi logs are?

17 hours ago, n00dle said:

I was a huawei fan before they lost app store access

Please explain. I have Huawei Y9 2018 and can download & install anything from App Store. Very good phone.

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please explain. I have Huawei Y9 2018 and can download & install anything from App Store. Very good phone.

Too old, Huawei was banned from Google play from 2020 on.

My 2022 'Mate' can't use Google play, my 2019 Y9 is fine with Google play.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Just did, and thank you, it explains why my OLD Huawei phone still works OK. 

it also explains why anyine may want to reconsider buying a new one. As I said, I loved my Huawei tabet and phone until the company went sideways.  I am not particularly worried about chinese spy ware (athough i woud certainly hope to avoid it), but no or limited access to playstore aps is the final staw. 

Hence Redmi for value for money

Edited by n00dle
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, n00dle said:

it also explains why anyine may want to reconsider buying a new one. As I said, I loved my Huawei tabet and phone until the company went sideways.  I am not particularly worried about chinese spy ware (athough i woud certainly hope to avoid it), but no or limited access to playstore aps is the final staw. 

Hence Redmi for value for money

Yes agree. However I put all the apps I need on it when I bought it, with very few subsequent installs. Suits me Sir! 

I ended up getting the Redme Note pro 11 today, 4G version. It appears with many of the more expensive 5G models which are more expensive and you would think an upgrade have many features / performance downgraded to accommodate the 5G. I have only had it for a day. Its a nice enough phone and well specced but so far don't see a lot of difference to my 4yo Oppo Reno 2, which has the same Rom / Ram. Bit underwhelmed with the camera so far but early days...and this is the reason I bought it. The Pro 10 was supposed to have a cherry of a camera....and the pro 11 has the same actual camera but apparently processing system different and the processing performance of the 11 no where near the 10. As far as someone mentioning Playstore not available anymore on Redmi's, came loaded with Playstore and the other Chinese app store thing. No problems with Playstore at all and this phone under 6 months old. I don't know why there is so much hoo ha about Huawei and spy apps. Just about every app I loaded onto day was asking for access to this and send data etc to them. it is quite scary actually you really pay attention when giving app permissions....they are getting more creative and making them look like they are helping you "improve your experience" by sucking up all of your personal information. As far as I can tell the likes of Facebook, Google and co are all spyware app's.   

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/10/2023 at 6:36 PM, norbra said:

I'm considering buying a Redmi note 12,it gets many good all round reviews 

Having looked more closely at this model I have now found the camera processing software to be a "negative".

Now looking at Vivo Y76

4 hours ago, norbra said:

Having looked more closely at this model I have now found the camera processing software to be a "negative".

Now looking at Vivo Y76

If camera is a priority, then Google Pixel or one of the newer iPhone.   A good camera is not inexpensive, and why phones are so expensive.

I chose the POCO X3 NFC just for that reason.   Uses Sony sensor, and has large, replaceable battery, not easy, but doable. Though depending on price, I'd just let them do it.

Editing software, I have on computer.   Doing anything, editing, on a phone is just annoying to me.

Best if you simply learn how to take a good photo, then can clean up with the limited software on inexpensive phones, if needed.  LightRoom has a free app for phone, and good in a pinch.

Edited by KhunLA

They say the Google Pixel is crazy awesome, can't take a bad photo with them but they are expensive here, well over 10k and starting to get into Iphone money. Looks like they are a lot cheaper in the US / Europe.

For the other poster looking at the Redmi 12, I did some test shots on my new Redmi Note 11 this morning. I have also read negative reports....which is odd as the Note 10 apparently had legendary camera results, and this has the same Samsung 108mp camera / hardware. Obviously different internal processing. I take predominantly indoor photos under natural light, probably the most difficult of all photos. Anyway, took a few pics of an item with a color I have found difficult to capture....usually turns out wrong color, dark etc on My Oppo Reno anyway. Took the snaps and viewed them in the phone and thought these suck! Transferred them to my computer and wow! Really nice fine detail. Images are a very realistic color.....Nice contrast.....good base to do any post processing....little tweak to contrast and exposure if needed. Often when I would post process the Oppo photos would get cartoonish very quickly.

So it is making me think maybe it is the way the phone screen displays the photos more than the photos / camera themselves? The screen does seem very contrasty / darker than my Oppo, even with screen brightness turned up. The Oppo camera has lots of bells and whistles to adjust photos quickly on the fly, but in hindsight looked ok on the screen but not so good on computer / websites. 

Assuming the in bult camera app of the phone was no good, would it make any difference getting a different camera app? Or is the magic done inside the phone processor itself?

10 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I ended up getting the Redme Note pro 11 today, 4G version. It appears with many of the more expensive 5G models which are more expensive and you would think an upgrade have many features / performance downgraded to accommodate the 5G. I have only had it for a day. Its a nice enough phone and well specced but so far don't see a lot of difference to my 4yo Oppo Reno 2, which has the same Rom / Ram. Bit underwhelmed with the camera so far but early days...and this is the reason I bought it. The Pro 10 was supposed to have a cherry of a camera....and the pro 11 has the same actual camera but apparently processing system different and the processing performance of the 11 no where near the 10. As far as someone mentioning Playstore not available anymore on Redmi's, came loaded with Playstore and the other Chinese app store thing. No problems with Playstore at all and this phone under 6 months old. I don't know why there is so much hoo ha about Huawei and spy apps. Just about every app I loaded onto day was asking for access to this and send data etc to them. it is quite scary actually you really pay attention when giving app permissions....they are getting more creative and making them look like they are helping you "improve your experience" by sucking up all of your personal information. As far as I can tell the likes of Facebook, Google and co are all spyware app's.   

Note 11 Pro has only 2 MP (macro) as compared to 5 MP on the 10 Pro…plus it doesn’t have 4K video capability nor 1080p/60fps. Front camera is missing 720p/120fps mode. 

So quite different camera function overall. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 11:46 PM, Kenny202 said:

Just about every app I loaded onto day was asking for access to this and send data etc to them. it is quite scary actually you really pay attention when giving app permissions....

Yes I bought the Note 8 about 3 yeas ago. Ended up rooting it after about 3/4 months due to all the crap on it and the data it was sending out. 

Apart from that it was/is a good value phone.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:25 PM, nigelforbes said:

As above, great phones, but.......Xiaomi has moved away from using Google Play Store (GPS) for their apps and now uses Get Apps which can't be removed, not as secure as GPS and is the one reason I can think of not to buy Xiaomi. It seems this is a major issue with many Thai people, as it is with me.

I'm an admitted Xiaomi fan boy having owned a Note-2, 4, 5 and now for the last 3 years a Mi9T.    I'm well aware that Xiaomi is able to keep it's hardware cheaper than competition by making money from pre-installed bloatware apps and lately, from "Get-Apps", though I do still have access to play store.  They try to slip new apps onto your phone making it look like an update of an existing app.   It is annoying and the market has also caught-up to Xiaomi with a lot of equal value phones from manufacturers such as "RealMe" so when it comes time to replace my Mi9T, I may very well look elsewhere.

So far am delighted with my Note 11 pro. The camera at first glance nothing spesh and photos don't actually appear that great on the camera but its because I am used to taking photos on an Oppo in vivid mode...and the photos really pop on the phone screen but in reality not that great downloaded to the computer... and often look cartoonish and the detail has gotten lost in the phone (Over) processing and do not respond well to post processing. Most of my photography are indoor semi professional and the Redmi photos are very clear, detailed and natural color. Very rarely have to do any post processing and when I do only a tweak of exposure or contrast.

The rest of the phone excellent also but haven't noticed any general miracles as my last phone was a fairly hi spec Oppo Reno. So far so good ????