Fatal Crash in Chonburi: Pickup Truck Collides with Barrier, 1 Dead and 1 Injured

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHONBURI: In a tragic incident on Sukhumvit Road near Vue View Villa in Bangsare, Sattahip district, Chonburi province, a pickup truck collided with a concrete barrier, resulting in one fatality and one person injured. The collision occurred around 9:30pm on May 12th, 2023, prompting an immediate response from authorities.

Lieutenant Colonel Thanit Thapdi, the investigating officer from Sattahip Police Station, quickly arrived at the scene upon receiving the report.

The accident involved a black Toyota Vigo pickup truck registered in Bangkok.

The truck sustained significant damage, with the front left wheel detached and lodged under the vehicle, reported Thai Rath.

A concrete barrier was found wedged beneath the truck. Nearby, the lifeless body of an unidentified male, believed to be approximately 40 years old, was discovered.

It is presumed that the deceased was the driver. Rescuers successfully located and extricated the injured passenger, identified as Mr. Milliwat Sai Thongkam, aged 30. He was promptly transported to Somdet Phra Nang Chao Sirikit Naval Hospital by rescue personnel from the Sawang Rojana Tham Foundation.

Preliminary investigations have gathered images of the accident scene as evidence, although the exact cause of the collision remains unknown. However, the condition of the truck suggests that high speed may have played a contributing role.

The police will expedite the analysis of CCTV footage and conduct interviews with witnesses in the vicinity to determine the true cause of the accident and proceed with the necessary legal procedures.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-05-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

When you sell pick-ups that can go close to 200 kmh, to idiots…..boom!

I may be wrong, but I understand that Isuzu sell new pick-ups, lowered with wide wheels…..all the buyer has to then do is remove the exhaust….and crash it!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

I may be wrong, but I understand that Isuzu sell new pick-ups, lowered with wide wheels…..all the buyer has to then do is remove the exhaust….and crash it!

You're wrong. They don't.

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

"I may be wrong".

You're right, you are wrong, Isuzu does not sell pickups as you describe..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"I may be wrong".

You're right, you are wrong, Isuzu does not sell pickups as you describe..

A ford Raptor will manage 200 kph which i believe to be too fast for a truck . 

Isuzu pick up truck has a top speed of ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY  ALSO TOO FAST 

• Confused 1

I know this area and flyover construction very well, there are heavy concrete road diversion blocks all over the road  presumably not well lit at night. 

They are making a four lane highway in both direction from Pattaya all the way to Sattahip, it is a motor way in all but name with no motorway standard crash barriers or signage, when it's all finished and open there is going to be a lot more horrific high speed crashes on this road.

• Like 2

Problems start with the way pickup trucks are marketed . There should be rules how they can advertise this type of vehicle as the buyer is fooled into thinking that the vehicle can be compared to a low centre of gravity sports car .

However 37 percent of accidents involved pickup trucks in 2020.

Even travelling at a speed of 100 kph can be far more dangerous in a pickup if you have to make a sharp turn to avoid an accident because of the height of the vehicle's qnd don't forget that pedestrians are also at a far higher risk of death if struck by these large fronted heavy vehicles..

180 to 200 kph is a crazy speed for a truck if you have to steer around a problem. It will roll over well before a modern saloon car.

Edited by Pink Mist
removed a quoted and already removed post
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I drove a 3 ton truck for 10 years that limited my speed to 90 kph .

If I tampered with the device I would be in trouble with the law and insurance.

That is need that here too , but obviously they would be removed .

Little hope for them 

Edited by Pink Mist
A deleted post which was quoted has been removed as well as a section baiting another poster.
  • Sad 1

Trolling, Bickering and personal attack posts have been removed.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

10. You will not post troll messages. Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing forum members by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other members into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Your point about advertising is well founded. Whenever I see a pick up advert on the TV it conveys the impression that these  vehicles can be driven much like a sports car. And it is not the case at all.

Driving a vehicle that has RWD, old fashioned leaf spring suspension, a high centre of gravity and poor weight distribution as it were a normal car is asking for trouble, but drivers do so here far too frequently.

Add the rainy season and just watch them spinning off the road!

IMO Pick ups are more dangerous than motorcycles. At least with a motorcycle a sense of self preservation tends to kick in.

Thank you , I have the same impression on the advertising of trucks .

I use a motorcycle most days and agree with your comment.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Is that a pickup? just wondering if warp speed could be a contributing factor ???? 

Yes. In the real world, on the rare occasion that a driver lacks the skill to stay on the road, there's few nasty dents. In Thailand they almost always write-off the vehicle.

10 minutes ago, sometime said:

I am not surprised I travel this road and they just put out the concrete blocks with no warning signs.

This new U turn was opened a week  ago an the same road near to where the accident happened, another accident waiting to happen.

The Thai IQ level is measured as 88. As a comparison, in a country with a proper education system, in Singapore it is 105. Huge, huge difference. And so people die.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I must admit I often see low riding pick-ups racing around, foot to the floor and black smoke pouring out the back. 

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The Thai IQ level is measured as 88. As a comparison, in a country with a proper education system, in Singapore it is 105. Huge, huge difference. And so people die.

That high? I thought it was around 80.

• Haha 1

A troll post baiting another poster has been reported and removed.

10. You will not post troll messages. Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing forum members by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other members into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11. You will not troll or stalk other members by misusing forum posts, private messages, reactions, emojis or by any other means.

19 hours ago, itsari said:

I drove a 3 ton truck for 10 years that limited my speed to 90 kph .

If I tampered with the device I would be in trouble with the law and insurance.

That is need that here too , but obviously they would be removed .

Little hope for them 

A 3 ton truck governed at 90 is plenty of speed.  It's not a bad idea for all Thai drivers imho.  Most Thais simply do not have the driving skills to handle higher speeds.  And governors would end the aggressive driving especially if set to limit top end speeds. 
Well, as the old saying goes, if put wishes in one hand and s**t in the other, guess which one fills up first.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

A 3 ton truck governed at 90 is plenty of speed.  It's not a bad idea for all Thai drivers imho.  Most Thais simply do not have the driving skills to handle higher speeds.  And governors would end the aggressive driving especially if set to limit top end speeds. 
Well, as the old saying goes, if put wishes in one hand and s**t in the other, guess which one fills up first.

Yes it would be for the pick up trucks for sure . Sales would go down and the  car producers would complain  but the mission to reduce accidents would be achieved.