Move Forward Party’s good election result leaves uncertainty as to who will form the government

webfact

image.jpeg

The results of the General Election are still coming in and they are throwing up a range of conflicting possibilities. It is good news for the Move Forward Party and bad news for Pheu Thai while the Bhumjaithai Party appears to have been vindicated for its marijuana policy while General Prayut Chan ocha’s United Thai Nation (Ruam Thai Sang Chart) Party has fared moderately with the Palang Pracharat Party surviving. The electorate has signalled change but voters have not turned on the coalition government parties to the extent that polls suggested.

by News Desk

The results so far are good news for the Bhumjaithai Party and Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and may be seen as a rejection of Mr Chuwit Kamolvisit’s anti-marijuana crusade. Mr Pita Limjaroenrat, on Saturday night, said that talks with Pheu Thai to form a coalition government could begin as early as Sunday night. The election results are still coming in but it looks like the political future of the kingdom is still one of uncertainty based on the results so far although the numbers for a new two-party coalition government formed by the key opposition parties are steadily.

The incoming results for the Thai General Election are throwing up a plethora of possibilities as it seems clear that the Pheu Thai Party has not won a landslide while the election has been a sweeping victory for the Move Forward Party which is sending a signal that Thai people particularly the young want to see change and are capable of exercising their voting franchise. Nevertheless, the coalition government parties have performed better than most polls expected and could still, in theory, form a minority government although the latest figures suggest this possibility is receding.

The key question now is the fate of both the Move Forward and Pheu Thai parties which are facing disturbing probes by the Election Commission and the attitude of the Thai Senate or upper house which still retains 250 votes in the selection of the next prime minister when parliament convenes in the coming months.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/05/14/thailand-general-election-move-forward-wins-future-uncertain/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2023-05-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

????????????

In answering a question, Pita said former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has the right to return to Thailand from his exile and given a fair legal trial.

A fair strategy, actually - 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Probably know today. Not sure what you're talking about. Looks like a Pita, Thaksin and Anutin coalition.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/what-you-need-know-about-thailands-election-2023-05-10/

Voting ends at 5 p.m (1000 GMT) local time on Sunday and the election commission says unofficial results should be released that same evening. It aims to certify 95% of the votes or 475 of the 500 seats, within 60 days, or by July 13..

Edited by redwood1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/what-you-need-know-about-thailands-election-2023-05-10/

Voting ends at 5 p.m (1000 GMT) local time on Sunday and the election commission says unofficial results should be released that same evening. It aims to certify 95% of the votes or 475 of the 500 seats, within 60 days, or by July 13.

Certify is the key. Chosing the PM will take a lot longer as this can only happen after the seats have been ceritified. Nevertheless it is clear that the counrty has voted out Prayut and voted him out desicively. Coalition 'horse trading' has aready begun.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pegman said:

It will get sadder yet for you. The Thaksin party will hold the balance of power in the upcoming coalition gov. 

And I am sure the winner or the election will know that a coalition with a Shinawatra would be a big problem. In the moment am pretty confident the new mother will have lots of time for her baby. Win/win.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What was again the date when the father of the PT candidate wanted to return to Thailand?

I think next week or so.

I wonder if he will come - and go to jail.

It's really sad. ???? 

look on the bright side, at least the military got their boots handed to them in this election. will Dr T come back and take over from where he was interrupted? who knows but it would be fun to see

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Day 1.

Vote to amend the 250 unelected senators out

Vote to Remove all ranks above Generals passports.

Vote to Enquire on all ranks above generals finances

Oh yeah! 

Seconded.

Hang the scoundrels - 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

will Dr T come back and take over from where he was interrupted? who knows but it would be fun to see

He was interrupted enriching himself and dividing the country. It's interesting that you think it would be fun to see more of the same.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

And you think Prayut and his family hasn't. It's interesting you want to see more of the military rule. Military rule has been overwhelmingly regected by the people as has Prayut. Will the military go against the will of the people. MFP and PT are clear winners when it comes to the popular vote.

Yes time for change....the people have spoken....it won't be an easy ride

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where do you get the idea from that I want more of the military? I don't want it and I never wrote I want it.

I don't want more of Thaksin, and I thank the military for removing him and his sister - because the courts didn't dare to do it.

I am happy that the majority voted for a relative new party, there is hope that they will do a better job than all the previous governments. Let's see.

Yep they kicked him out then they would not relinquish power. The constitution was changed and 250 military lackeys made sure the last election did not reflect the will of the people. One tycoon out one general in. Now tables have turned. Tycoon Thaksin will return and the bent General will run away. Or will he? I have always said in Thailand the military is always waiting in the wings. If they make a move this country will explode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stoner said:

seems thailand doesn't hate cannabis after all. unlike what was being reported here and in other outlets leading up to the vote.

anutin holding it down last night. 

LOL you do not watch things, do you.  BJT like every other Thai pol party has a local set of voters that in one area will vote for them no matter what.

Anutin could do almost anything wrong and screw up the world and still they would vote for him.

Pot is still not safe.  The only party that felt it should be allowed with no restrictions was the BJT and they are going to have no say.

They have already said he will never be allowed near the Health ministry.

There will be changes to the availability and also possibly to the penalties but I would not say that the status quo is safe.  I look for a lot of stores to shut down and a heavily regulated industry to be established.

I think CBD and pot will be regulated by the hospitals. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Kudos, Mike! 

By no means, this result should've not been a surprise to those paying attention of the last 6-9 months. 

They [MV] always had a core following that expanded into a massive popular one. 

Now with a [supposed] joint coalition with PT......things could be looking up. 

Yet.....personally, I have this deeper sense in the pit of my stomach that something serious will come about and change all that we've celebrated. A feeling. Hoping I'm wrong and everything continues on rosy. 

First order of business would be to bring heavy charges to those [the coup-makers and associates] that have conducted the mess at large of the last 8-9 years. Only then we can get on with life again and MOVE FORWARD. 

Fully agree I do not think Pita will be PM.  There are too many knives.  MF now has to worry about PT also as I am sure that Thaksin is not going to be happy.

This country could be in for a rough ride if the courts do not sit on their hands and let the people will be the decision.

MFP wound Bangkok completely imagine if the EC decides to damage MFP.  The youth and those supporting them will shut the city down.

Also because they are a minority government I would not be surprised in a year if we are not back at the polls because Thaksin figured out what went wrong