Road Rage Incident Leads to Shooting, Leaving One Injured in Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- In a distressing turn of events, an 18-year-old young man found himself in a dangerous situation when his attempt to confront a reckless driver led to a violent encounter, reported Daily News.

Driving a Toyota Fortuner, the teenager encountered a white Ford Fiesta swerving into his lane, prompting him to sound his horn in reprimand. This, however, provoked a response far beyond what he had anticipated.

The incident took place at approximately 2 PM on May 14th. According to Assistant Inspector Delko Nithilong, the Deputy Investigator of Taling Chan Police Station, they received a report of a shooting incident at a S Gas Station on Ratchaphruek Road, in the Taling Chan area of Bangkok.

image.jpeg

Upon arrival at the scene, they discovered a white Toyota Fortuner, license plate 1 Kor Nor 4545 Bangkok, with clear signs of damage from 9mm bullets at the rear bumper, back left fender, left wheel arch, and the left rear window.

A 41-year-old woman, identified as Mrs. Passasarn Thapakornkul, was found injured due to shards of glass from the bullet-pierced window. The shards had caused wounds to her right arm. Investigators also found six 9mm bullet casings at the scene, which they collected as evidence.

image.jpeg

The driver, Mr. Jutawat Thapakornkul, age 18, gave a statement that before the incident, he, along with his brother and mother (a total of three people), had gone to vote in the Bang Yai area.

They were planning to have a meal together near the Phran Nok-Buddha Monthon 4 area. As they were driving along Nakhon In Road, they encountered the white Ford Fiesta without a license plate, which suddenly cut across their path. In response, Jutawat honked his horn and opened the window to berate the driver, after which he continued driving without giving it further thought.

image.jpeg

However, as they reached the side exit opposite the Food Villa Restaurant, the same car followed them, pulling up alongside their vehicle on the left. The occupants of the Fiesta then lowered their window and fired several shots at Jutawat's vehicle, resulting in the glass shards injuring his mother.

The assailants then fled the scene. In response, Jutawat drove his vehicle to take refuge in the gas station.

Regardless, to progress the investigation, authorities will analyze CCTV footage in an effort to trace the escape route of the assailants.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-05-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

In Viet Nam folks navigate dropped considerably.e with horn honking, extremely annoying. Here you get shot.

So so so frustrating living in Nam - the incessant honking. It was a pleasure to spend a week in BKK recently.

That said, I tune the noise out, and wear earphones nowadays - my stress levels have dropped considerably.

6 minutes ago, SirHonkersTheFirst said:

So so so frustrating living in Nam - the incessant honking. It was a pleasure to spend a week in BKK recently.

That said, I tune the noise out, and wear earphones nowadays - my stress levels have dropped considerably.

Go live in  Nong Khai.

27 minutes ago, SirHonkersTheFirst said:

A very dangerous practise, as you cannot hear emergency vehicles, or someone honking legitimately to warn you.

• Like 1

Its hairy driving here! They straddle the middle of the two lanes and as you approach the vehicle to pass you have to be careful of them while also worrying if they will mistakenly come into the side of your vehicle.

My wife tells me not to beep on occasion for fear they would be offended! It’s getting very confusing ! I might just let her drive all the time andlet her deal with uncertainty.

I was a lorri driver for 20 years in the states . 
Driving rules have changed since I retired .Now it appears some rules of the road are designed to not frustrate other drivers such as tailgating.

The rule for tailgating was to stay behind a vehicles length was the appropriate response on a drivers test ,now its stay well behind a vehicle cause it might upset that person driving in front of you.

Edited by riclag

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Get shot in the back and murdered as happened to the 70 year old English guy in Pattaya some months back......I thought of this as I eased off the gas to allow the maniac in a small car to undertake me and get in front rather than crash into the left lane roadworks but yesterday. Driving in this area deteriorates.....lack of policing, more traffic!

As you say, ease off the gas and let them carry-on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

This kind of behavior is happening all over the world's roads and even worse outcomes, best is to let things go, i know it's hard as often I myself get angry at other inconsiderate motorists but I allow for cool head to prevail.

..."happening all over the world's roads"...Hm,...Some country's don't have a easy access to guns !!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I was in a bar in Jomtien with the GF on Saturday afternoon, enjoying a few cold drinks before the booze shutdown for the election. Suddenly, at the far end of the bar, a fight broke out between two young men, one of them in a biker's vest. He won, anyway, punching the other, bigger lad onto the ground and then beating him into submission. Not that anyone wanted to see this, as there were several families with children present and the noise terrified my small dog.

Then the GF turned to me and said, "Why farang always boxing? No good. Thai man has gun and they shoot bang bang." I could hardly believe what I was hearing. By now, the two pugilists were having a drink at the bar shaking hands and making up. Surely, that sight in itself is more than enough to explain why fists are a better solution to a disagreement than a 9 mm pistol (though calm discourse would be much better still)? But the whole gun violence thing seems to be so ingrained in the culture here that most people hardly bat an eye at the latest news of someone being shot dead as a result of some imaginary slight.

Great observation,...Thx for sharing this story, there is a good lesson in it....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Spectacularly ignorant youths, demonstrating misplaced bravado. Guys with absolutely no self esteem, who cannot handle being called out for their recklessness. Totally failed lives. I recommend finding them, charging them with attempted murder, and charging their parents with extreme negligence. 

How do you know that the shooter was a youth?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Spectacularly ignorant youths, demonstrating misplaced bravado. Guys with absolutely no self esteem, who cannot handle being called out for their recklessness. Totally failed lives. I recommend finding them, charging them with attempted murder, and charging their parents with extreme negligence. 

Read the report again. The victim was 18. The gunman is unknown.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:
4 hours ago, SirHonkersTheFirst said:

A very dangerous practise, as you cannot hear emergency vehicles, or someone honking legitimately to warn you.

Totally agree. I tried wearing headphones once while 'cruising' in the USA. Lasted less than five minutes. I very quickly realised that you need to have all your senses working, not just your eyes when driving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

This kind of behavior is happening all over the world's roads and even worse outcomes, best is to let things go, i know it's hard as often I myself get angry at other inconsiderate motorists but I allow for cool head to prevail.

I'm from California where this type of thing is an everyday occurrence, I learned a long time ago that honking or gesturing at other drivers can and will get you killed. Best just to let it go, and not worth dying for.

• Confused 2