Prayut says he respects election results

webfact

Thais are dancing in the streets now. MF winning means the young generation wins. Which means those who are going to live here the next 50 years get to decide how they are going to live.

At least, theoretically. Unless the Army, elite and Voldemort panic into doing something stupid. In which case, the place will explode.

Edited by Chicksaw
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, h90 said:

In my opinion...the incompetent military sits there fat and happy do nothing and steals a 10% of everything. Which is kind of OK for me.
Because they others steal more and make problems....Prayuth time was silent.... no red shirts no yellow shirts no blood on the street. No war against drugs with many bystander dead. No big corruption cases, no manic 3 word dictator rants on TV. Just boring normal life. (and it would have been so easy to repair a few problems when he was still dictator the first couple of years. Doing some reforms that are needed....but no nothing). I guess not long and the circus from hell with whatever color TShirts will soon begin again

Despite the challenges, those devides continue to thrive. However, people are now more reluctant to participate in protests due to the potential consequences they may face. The Move Forward Party is determined to unite the nation and alleviate divisions. Unfortunately, the dictator has failed to address this issue effectively, relying instead on instilling fear in the population to maintain submission

Edited by Kaopad999

Everyone is writing as if the result is a done deal. It isn't. From an earlier Webfact report:
The key question now is the fate of both the Move Forward and Pheu Thai parties which are facing disturbing probes by the Election Commission and the attitude of the Thai Senate or upper house which still retains 250 votes in the selection of the next prime minister when parliament convenes in the coming months.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

the Move Forward and Pheu Thai parties which are facing disturbing probes by the Election Commission

I seriously doubt the EC is going to say, Yea, you collectively won about 60% of the people's vote but who gives a rat's. Out you go.

This is a serious mandate they are up against. Not the same situation as when they did Voldemort's bidding and banished Thanathorn from politics because V was jealous of our handsome and popular young hero (like his pa was jealous of Thaksin, which started the whole 2-decades coup-coaster).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Sunday night said he respects the election results

does that mean that he ACCEPTS the election results..... I used to respect my father but sometimes didn't Accept his decisions

The Difference Between Respect And Accept

You do not need to accept in order to respect; know the difference.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/difference-between-respect-accept

Edited by Mavideol

18 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

does that mean that he ACCEPTS the election results..... I used to respect my father but sometimes didn't Accept his decisions

The Difference Between Respect And Accept

You do not need to accept in order to respect; know the difference.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/difference-between-respect-accept

So what does he mean when he says he "respects the results"?

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Yes.  When they name him as the new Prime Minister, he will absolutely respect their wishes.

Things have advanced considerably from this post. Prayut is gone. Pita will be the new PM of Thailand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

UTN Says Prayut to Remain in Politics
by Paul Rujopakarn

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The leader of the United Thai Nation Party (UTN) has announced that Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha will continue his political career while adhering to established norms regarding the formation of a new government.

UTN, which ran Gen Prayut as its prime ministerial candidate, has pledged to respect political tradition in the transfer of power to the next government. The party’s leader, Pirapan Salirathavibhaga, also confirmed that UTN will not deviate from the conventional process, which grants the party with the highest number of House seats the right to form the new government.

Pirapan further emphasized the party’s commitment to upholding these norms and expressed satisfaction with UTN’s performance since its establishment two years ago. When asked about Gen Prayut’s future in politics and his association with UTN, he said Gen Prayut will remain involved as the party’s chief strategist.

Gen Prayut meanwhile expressed gratitude to all the voters who supported him and his party. He acknowledged his efforts to work in the national interest and promote development, while also affirming his respect for democracy.

However, he refrained from commenting on the likelihood of the Pheu Thai Party forming a new government or the possibility of a minority government resulting from the votes of the 250 senators.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230515113832739

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-05-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

In other words, he has no intention of going anywhere.  As usual.

Just now, BangkokReady said:

The senate has chosen him?

They will have 309 MP's. You would expect that part of the coalition deal is to vote for him as PM. I think the 250 senate lackeys will abandon Prayut. The people have spoken in the most emphatic way in Thailand's history. MFP and PT have a clear mandate from the people for change.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

They will have 309 MP's. You would expect that part of the coalition deal is to vote for him as PM. I think the 250 senate lackeys will abandon Prayut. The people have spoken in the most emphatic way in Thailand's history. MFP and PT have a clear mandate from the people for change.

They might abandon Prayut, but that doesn't mean they will abandon whoever is in charge and not pick the guy the guy they want.

I hope they do select Pita, but I think it's wise to at least consider that fact that it could go another way.

• Like 2

Agree with dinsdale I think the senate rats will abandon uncle and clamber onboard to get some favour with the new powerbrokers 

BTW with this senate - who now appoints a replacement when one retires/dies etc ?

and does this current model finish up at the next election or will it need to be legislated out ?

5 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

They might abandon Prayut, but that doesn't mean they will abandon whoever is in charge and not pick the guy the guy they want.

I hope they do select Pita, but I think it's wise to at least consider that fact that it could go another way.

Who? That's the thing. If Prayut somehow manages it or it's another military man I don't think the people will stand for it. MFP coalition will have a clear majority in the house so what would the political situation be with a hostile house against the PM. Can there be a vote of no confindence against the PM? If there can then the ruling coalition would win the vote of no confidence easily thus ousting the PM. I'm not sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

So you pay no heed to Global politics, only the one where you vote? A somewhat parochial,insular standpoint. Do you think you haven't been effected by political events in the likes of Russia, China etc.? Of course international opinion is relevant to a country's political standing. 

Yes, we haven't heard the "If you don't like it, go home" war cry for a long time.

I think that the majority, if not all the expats realise that we have no say in the running of the country (i.e. no vote) but that doesn't prevent us from having an opinion!

• Like 2

Back last year do you remember when a certain large and distinctive motor car was booed and heckled by protesters? Cameras clearly caught the occupants with a remarkable "rabbits caught in the headlights" look about them.

I wonder if that look is being seen again?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, h90 said:

The previous...was this the Samak corruption case? Or something different?

It was certainly in the Bangkok Post, or don't you read the bits that you don't like.

Ypu are the one that claims all the Thai news is in the newspapers.

You claimed it, now you find it.