Thai PM Candidate Faces Disqualification Bid

webfact

8 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

They were done on this same technicality four years ago so they have had plenty of time to ensure their party is whiter than white. Surely they would know that the government would be looking for any excuse to end them. 

As Warren Zeffon sings...

Lawyers, Guns and Money.

• Like 1

as i told my wife, there's only a very few govt issues that affect me:

1. immigration laws

2. the electric bill (18k last month!)

3. ganja prohibition

nothing else is any of my business, and #3 is only an interest. it didn't stop me before ????

listening to farangs argue about Thai politics is interesting, but maybe a bit sad. isn't there enough political fighting and greed for power back home? why stress yourself?

#

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

And you know this for a fact?

It was all over the news when it was going on. He even presented speeding tickets he received as part of his defense that he was rushing back from the campaigning for filing the paperwork.   Google is your friend 

1 hour ago, James26 said:

We don't know if there is any truth to this claim. I would imagine they would make certain to not be in a position where a claim like this can be found. Have to wait and see.

I would agree except Thanathorn did the same thing roughly. Let's hope for the best. 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

It's not correct to say they ignored the law. 

Do some reading and understand all the details.

In both cases actions had been taken years ago to change the share ownerships. 

I remember Thanatorn saying he rushed back to Bangkok to change the ownership but was too late. Pita said he was holding the for someone or other. Pita couldn't sell to the public but as Intuch is the major shareholders at least approaching them seems sensible. In both cases the held shares in a media company defunct or not. 

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

What confuses me is that the "ruling elite" are able to use the army to put down any revolt by the disillusioned population when the foot soldiers being used are almost all from the very families who are doing the revolt. Why don't these soldiers themselves refuse to go against their families .

IMHO the army are not ready yet to go on the streets against the Thai people. However if and when they may well find that they are outnumbered and with soldiers in the wrong place.

If you add to the fact that about 1/3 of the army are conscripts and may well decide not to turn their guns on the people, the generals may well face a problem that they have never come across before.

An army which doesn't want to turns its guns on its own families  and the Thai people.

10 hours ago, Purdey said:

Look, both Pita and Thanathorn knew the law or had legal advisors and ignored it thinking it wouldn’t affect them. Didn’t they know what they were up against?

Good hearts but naive thinking won’t cut it.

Maybe the lawyers are part-time distance learning  graduates from Ram.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

They were done on this same technicality four years ago so they have had plenty of time to ensure their party is whiter than white. Surely they would know that the government would be looking for any excuse to end them. 

Do some reading, Khun Pita informed the Election Commisssion about the family share holding, gifted by an uncle many years ago. Also informed them the original shares weren't owned by him personally, a family ownership. Also informed them years ago the value of the shares is zero. And mentioned the shares weren't sold because they have zero value so nobody will buy them.

Typically he's still waiting, years later, for the Election Commission to announce some finding on the matter.

• Like 2

Due another... it's been almost 10 years already! ????????????

I think if they don't do it often enough, they fear they'll forget the proceedure!

Really, is anyone surprised by all this? Maybe someone new to the country, but anyone who's been here for 10 years or more will have heard all the stories of past. I've seen two in my time, and I'm sure there are members here who've been through 3, 4, even 5 coups. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see anything changing for years, maybe decades to come, unless there's civil war.

Edited by Pink Mist
  • Like 1

What's there to "asset" in a company, which went out of business in 2007? Obviously you cannot get out of shareholding, as long as the closing proceedings are not finished and whoever closed a company legally (I did) knows what hurdles and avalanched bureaucracy that brings along. 

The "asset" value of those shares ...... you guessed it! 

It is a politically motivated issue again; yet this time the dinosaurs would nullify not only 6+ million votes like four years ago; this time is is more than double and that would certainly not triggering off parties in the roads of Bangkok to welcome the "new" government which would manage to slip in only because of some worthless shares - unless I am wrong again ???? 

9 hours ago, kamahele said:

Thanathorn didn't actually own shares in a media company, his mother did and the company was defunct for years and non publishing. He had sold the shares to his mother which he was able to prove. But legally,.....

I believe he was not able to prove he sold the shares to his mother in a "proper time line" with registering as a candidate. He even showed traffic speeding tickets he received while in route trying to return to BKK to file the paperwork. His filing date was very questionable and then he also loaned money personally to his party which was also cause for being disqualified

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Days before Sunday's vote to fill Thailand’s House of Representatives, a candidate for the ruling, pro-military Palang Pracharath party filed a case with the commission accusing Pita of holding shares in the inactive broadcaster iTV and of failing to disclose them among his assets.

As alarming as this sounds this news is 6 days old. 

11 hours ago, Larry said:

Nine years ago, the riots between the yellows and the reds gave the military an excuse to stage a coup, draft a manifestly unfair constitution, and take over or stifle all aspects of society in the name of anti-corruption and law and order. The following nine years have been a period of stultification and stagnation. None of the progress and enterprising spirit on the Thaksin years remain. Not only has Thailand failed to progress, the country has actually gone in reverse in many fields. Thai cinema is a case in point. Now a party has arisen that shows the way forward, and the Thai people have spoken loud and clear in favor of their program.  But that voice is now threatened on the flimsiest of technicalities. It is up to the Senators, judges and other parties not to let this happen. They should put the country and democracy first, as the greatest and most beloved Thai of the past hundred years probably would have counselled. If this doesn't work, however, the Thai people in their righteous indignation must launch a protest movement much greater and more determined than anything seen before.  It has been observed that "freedom isn't free", and that "all that is required for injustice to triumph is for good people to remain silent." If not, "Cry, the Beloved Country" will apply to Thailand.

"It is up to the Senators, judges and other parties not to let this happen"   But, they have been put in for this very purpose...to not let it happen.

14 hours ago, h90 said:

I seriously don't understand anything you write, here are the annual reports....the company is active. Someone else corrupt behaviour is irrelevant to this issue. Every politician is corrupt, just in this case it is very obvious and proof-able. If some other did something wrong, banned them from politics for live no matter what party:

https://www.intouchcompany.com/ir_an_itv_en.asp
http://www.itv.co.th/

You are just being disingenuous. Of course you understand. 
In which way does having a small amount of shares, in a trust, make someone corrupt? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, h90 said:

They still have a value.....you can donate them.....I am sure there are legal ways

Just speaking of the US and stocks....one can dispose of shares of stock when the company becomes delisted through a broker. It is done to claim a loss against cap gains. Usually, there is a set rate for the valuation of the share price per SEC standards. I would imagine a similar approach is possible on publicly traded shares in Thailand on the SET. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

What confuses me is that the "ruling elite" are able to use the army to put down any revolt by the dissalusioned population when the foot soldiers being used are almost all from the very famillies who are doing the revolt. Why don't these soldiers themselves refuse to go against their families .

Maybe they will.

Maybe they will point their guns the other way.

Let's watch.......and see what happens.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, roietfortress said:

as i told my wife, there's only a very few govt issues that affect me:

1. immigration laws

2. the electric bill (18k last month!)

3. ganja prohibition

nothing else is any of my business, and #3 is only an interest. it didn't stop me before ????

listening to farangs argue about Thai politics is interesting, but maybe a bit sad. isn't there enough political fighting and greed for power back home? why stress yourself?

#

I couldn't agree more, although I would, maybe, replace No 2 on your list , the electric bill,  with the exchange rate value of the Baht. 

I find it sadly amusing, all these uninformed foreigners crying outrage and deciding what should and should not happen , based on their "moral compasses" or on how they think things would be done in their home countries, ( which they have chosen to leave)

So many living here seem to want to turn Thailand into a carbon copy of their own miserable country of origin, Have they forgotten why came here in the first place ?

It's a bit bizarre that foreigners living here on what is effectively a temporary  permission to stay  would waste so much time and effort expressing their opinions and stressing out on something over which they have absolutely no control, and very little understanding

Should their "righteous"  fantasies of Thailand becoming a fully paid up member of the "democratic first world" ever  come to fruition, most of them would be on the first plane out of here. No doubt to Cambodia or Laos where they can try to start their campaign for social change  all over again

It is what it is, and its better to just enjoy the show

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Billybaroo said:

I would imagine a similar approach is possible on publicly traded shares in Thailand on the SET

It is often an issue that expats "imagine" that things will be "similar" here. Always gives me a good larf. ????

Lol, he knew from the beginning he wouldn't become PM. This whole thing is just a show off. He'll be fine, probably get a high paying job somewhere and some well deserved P*zzy down the road.

It's a freak show folks! 

Edited by racket
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 4:18 AM, Purdey said:

Look, both Pita and Thanathorn knew the law or had legal advisors and ignored it thinking it wouldn’t affect them. Didn’t they know what they were up against?

Good hearts but naive thinking won’t cut it.

Do you really think they are stupid? They are not, they did avoid all traps that can be avoided!

• Like 2

*sigh* 

Might be noted that much of the larger pictures have been missed or misplaced, belonging to a circle of being rhetorical or moot. 

What should've been done from the very beginning was to dissolve everything that was standing......and then proceed with the grand elective process. As we see now, the post-elective theatre has become the expected fanciful show.

It's just mind boggling that the surface procession of a free/open election proceeds, all the while a technically invalid sitting government is allowed to participate without questioning or challenge. We're just cycling [or recycling] the same disease and rot that has plagued Thai politics for ages. 

No one among the terribly confused [and suspiciously merging] coalition groups seem to want to recognize this reality.....that the present sitting government is false and illegal - yet, still able to participate and therefore able to pull strings here and there. No mentions or actions to rescind any of the false and illegal sitting [coup-based] government is enacted.....nothing is ever addressed regarding these matters that the Junta Gang are illegitimate. Yet, the whole of the elective process goes on with their active participation, all the while with standing appointed [not fairly elected] members still influential. 

Bizarre Thai politics. 

Same as it ever was.

• Thumbs Up 1