Denied LEAVING Thailand at land-border crossing

7 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I have previously NEVER heard about being denied to LEAVE Thailand, so it would be interesting to receive info whether this is an actual border-immigration rule

There would be no such rule.

All I can think of is the chaps pp did not have 6 months validity. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There would be no such rule.

All I can think of is the chaps pp did not have 6 months validity. 

I queried him about this PM and he replied that his passport is still valid for 8 more years and has 30+ empty pages. 

Note: I edited my OP and added that info.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hello

The truth is for us in Ban Pakard the IO immediately called an agent sitting just opposite his office..

We didn't think we needed one..but understood we could get in trouble if refusing his services.. I asked him if he would take care of Cambodian side..Answer was yes.. Actually told us to sit there and agent went alone to Cambodia border..10 minutes later, he was back, proceeded with us through Thai immigration.. Total 30 minutes between reaching to Thai border and back in the car with exempt visa..

Have a nice day

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Could well have been an attempt to get a bribe from a lonely traveler but when that failed the IM officer wanted to punish him.

Despite the inconvenience, he might try again to resolve his issue by either go back with a girlfriend to do the talking if the same issue happens again, use an agent or try another land crossing.

• Like 1

I had the same problem at Ban Laem in November 2022. Was doing my first border hop after 2+ years in Thailand on covid extensions (the whole covid period, including the amnesty). They told me I cannot leave by land because "I was in Thailand too much". The issue was solved by contacting the superintendent's office: They promptly let me out (and back in of course).

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:29 AM, Tod Daniels said:

I read that post and thought it was quite the conundrum as well.

I can only think he bounced on his own without a service to get him out and back. Those services grease the wheels to get people back in the same day and I think they wouldn't have let him ON the bus if they couldn't bounce him out and back 

Also there is a HUGE difference between the Ban Laem/Duang and Ban Pakard/Phsar Prum borders, FEW border bounce companies will use Ban Pakard even though it's closer to some places because of the sketchy way they enforce policy. 

I would imagine there was a good deal of lost in translation, possibly poor border choice & maybe trying to bounce himself in the whole mix.

As people pointed out bouncing out and in by land from an OA visa/extension without a re-entry permit to enter on a visa exempt entry is a common way to get off a visa with punitive insurance requirements so you can get a Non-O inside the country and then the year.

Something threw a spanner in the works on his attempt . . ...  

I think Ban Laem and Ban Pakard, although 20 km apart, belong to the same immigration jurisdiction/office, Ban Nam Ron. The stamp you are getting at the two border crossing both say Ban Nam Ron. On the Cambodian side they are different though. 

• Like 1

It could be just wrong time, wrong IO at wrong counter and what the OP was going to do (exit without reentry permit at land border) sounded strange (to that particular IO), he could be wanted (he will be caught at airport). 
maybe so, maybe no