Siem Reap worth it?

bignok

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yes indeed, an absolutely unforgettable experience.  I have been 3 times already in last 6 years (each time for 5 days) and still haven't seen everything, and will surely go again.  

Note: If you take the 1-day 'Grand tour' that can be quite busy, but there is also a 1-day tour that does to the lesser visited temples, and they are at least as magnificent as the better known ones.  

Do Thais pay farang entry fees too? Im guessing they do.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Been to SR many times, never paid $50 for the 1 day entry fee.

Spent my money on 50c beers and $1 cocktails instead.

Did cycle around the outside though.

angor.jpg

P_20190116_100757.jpg

Can you see much from the free section?

29 minutes ago, bignok said:

Can you see much from the free section?

It's like going to Disneyland and just touring the fence around it. Compared to a Euro-admission to something like The Tower of London, the $50 is a deal.

And it's good for non-consecutive days, so you can chill. After a long day of ruin-viewing, I didn't want a second one immediately.

If you're a temple marathon viewer, you could knock it all out in one long day -for about $15. A lot of the ruins are a bit of walk from the road and not that impressive nor jungle-ish.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Probably my lack of cultural interest, but I thought the Wat was boring after 20 minutes.  Like most temples or cathedral,  just seems to be repetitive. 

Yeah same here, I've been templed out for a long time, much prefer doing other things. I went to Russia once on a cultural visit to churches, palaces, galleries, exhibitions, trip only got good when i started chasing skirt

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Think we skip it. Doing Phanom Rung. Will review it. Much cheaper, no flights, no visa, cheap entry.

Thai people will hate me for saying it, but Phanom Rung - nice as it is (been there twice) - is just a small not very well-maintained temple compared with the splendor of the Angkor Wat temple complex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Siem Reap, in parts, still has a bit of a frontier feel. If you are free to wander around there are some interesting nooks.

I would agree with other posters that it is certainly worthwhile visiting Ankor Wat at least once in your life. I have been a couple of times and found it worthwhile.

• Like 2

First trip was 92. I moved there (well, PNH).

Last trip was ?? 2000 was saddened by the wear and tear as well as the guardrails. I recall and have sweet memories of stringing up a hammock in ThaProm and just chilling out with the birds and a huge bag of weed I paid 1usd for in Phnom Penh. Maybe six tourists thru the entire (week)day.

Fond memories.

• Like 2

Siem Reap... I worked a six month contract there in 2012 for an asian upstart LLC..  One A320 and all we did was go from Seim Reap to Incheon, spend the night and come back the next day.   Easy gig, good pay.

I did take in the cultural aspects of being there ..Ankor Wat, Ankor Thom and such.  But I was appalled at the way the locals let tourists trash the place.   Very little respect for the Khemer reverence.

Otherwise, it was a giant gambling, drug sucking, rundown brothel.   Mickey's was the best.   Can't say I didn't enjoy myself, but really disgusting how World heritage sites were allowed to be over run.

Hope it changed for the better.

• Thanks 1