Pita Limjaroenrat: Meet Thailand’s (probable) next leader

webfact

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I'm not going to do spoon feed you. There have been articles on here and elsewhere about Pita's response to this.

So I take it, you don't have a link to enlighten me, any more than I already know.   Thanks for clearing that up.

Edited by Rimmer

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I agree totally with your post, but the above are numerous and set in their self indulgent lifestyle.

They do not take kindly to young upstarts who are going to change things.

A bit like "insubordination" in the Armed Forces, except this young soldier didn't sign up or get conscripted!

How Prayut must wish that he had!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So I take it, you don't have a link to enlighten me, any more than I already know.   Thanks for clearing that up.

It's been on here. It's been on BP. It's been on Thai PBS. Look for yourself. I'm hoping you are capable of this simple task.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Why is being fluent in English necessary for a Thai prime minister, or are you hoping that Thailand will become a client state of America and ape ghastly American culture? 

It's not necessary, but it's an advantage.

Westerners - both political and commercial - always think more of somebody who can speak English; the thinking seems to go that perhaps the guy is partly civilized and we can communicate and deal with him.

When Abhisit was PM, he was always popping up on CNN and such-like, promoting a modern technocratic view of Thailand.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

He did see it coming. Have you not been reading aka educating yourself.

Then how did he and party advisor  not known the obvious in the constitution that one running for PM can't hold certain and amounts of stocks?  

49 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Does he hold them? Are they in state? Did he declare them? Maybe jumping to conclusions is not the best way. Let's wait and see. It would seem though you have already made up your mind.

He obviously does hold the shares , statements have been made to the effect that he has been unable to sell them. The question is in what capacity he holds the shares, Pita has stated that they are owned by his family, is this by a will or Thai inheritance laws.  Even if Pita statement that he is only  heritage manager is correct that still leaves the actual ownership vague. it could be possible that he is managing the shares on behalf of himself and his family.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

His election is a truly great thing for this nation and shows that the people are both sick of being led by highly ignorant dinosaurs, with no interest in progress, and interested in smart, young folks, who are serious, accomplished, capable of change, and interested in insuring that Thailand has a good future. Pita is exactly what this nation needs, at this point in time. This is a huge blessing. I am optimistic. I think he will stick to his promises.

This is a man who interrupted his studies at MIT, during an MBA program at Sloan to rescue his father's rice bran oil business, Agrifood, after this fathers death. He was successful, and is paying down the 100 million baht his father borrowed to start the company. This is a serious man. Very unlike the failures before him. He then went back and finished his MBA, at one of the top business schools on the planet. Compared to all the super low quality, bottom of the barrel men who have been in charge over the past 9 years, this is a new dawn. 

Go, Pita, go. We are behind you, proud of you and trust in you. You are giving us real hope, for a change

Let us hope the greedy, toxic, moronic, backwards, incapable nitwits get the message, and back down. 

They need to figure out a way to get rid of the corrupt, army appointed senators. ASAP. By whatever means necessary.

The youth have prevailed. It is a glorious day in Thailand!

Yes to all that. I'm naturally cynical as a rule and often at first doubt the virtues of those who appear to possess them. 

But so far, despite one or two slightly raised eye-brows at his decisions, I have been consistently impressed by this fellow. 

And yes, I too think he will 'stick to his promises', as very deftly displayed by his u-turn on certain decisions (ie, Korn) when he realizes it's a bad call, and then offers what appears to be very genuine & honest apologies and explanations for making those calls. (And I for one understand the pressure he would have been under to have considered bringing Korn's crew in. It's a 'numbers game' now.)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

He obviously does hold the shares , statements have been made to the effect that he has been unable to sell them. The question is in what capacity he holds the shares, Pita has stated that they are owned by his family, is this by a will or Thai inheritance laws.  Even if Pita statement that he is only  heritage manager is correct that still leaves the actual ownership vague. it could be possible that he is managing the shares on behalf of himself and his family.

Quite right. Unfortunately there are some petulant people in this world.

15 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Why is being fluent in English necessary for a Thai prime minister, or are you hoping that Thailand will become a client state of America and ape ghastly American culture? 

Whilst taking into account your previously expressed aversion to the politics and culture of the United States, English is a worldwide language, and the one used in virtually all international business, political and inter-governmental proceedings.

I do understand that someone recently predicted that Thai would replace English in this respect. It is proving to be a long wait. Perhaps he was dazzled by the reflected glory of his military bling.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Does he hold them? Are they in state? Did he declare them? Maybe jumping to conclusions is not the best way. Let's wait and see. It would seem though you have already made up your mind.

Aren't you doing the same? 

why do people always do that?

10 hours ago, pomchop said:

A breath of fresh air blows into Thailand.

And that just masks the permanent stench, which wafts back up after the "bereze" has died down.

This post-coital period is about to end, and even the Honeymoon appears to be over.

What happens if the first vote does not result in a government? Does PtP get a crack? Does MF get a second try. What happens if a second try fails?

Assuming Pita/MF can form a government, zero platform issues will be successfully addressed and any government will struggle to govern as it is chipped away and undercut by the Powers that Be - major forces (business, police, miltary, courts, other) restrict any real reforms.

Hope only gets you so far.

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Whilst taking into account your previously expressed aversion to the politics and culture of the United States, English is a worldwide language, and the one used in virtually all international business, political and inter-governmental proceedings.

I do understand that someone recently predicted that Thai would replace English in this respect. It is proving to be a long wait. Perhaps he was dazzled by the reflected glory of his military bling.

You don't often see Xi Jinping giving English language interviews, but that doesn't seem to be holding China back. Pita's English language skills are a non issue, because it's Thais he has to impress, not Americans. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, neeray said:

His grasp of English can't possibly hurt. English is the most spoken language in the world. English is the official language of the United Nations, the European Union, WTO and the International Monetary Fund

All the more reason not to speak English then. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

No I'm not. These are questions the answers to wit are available on the net. Just have to look.

I sense it isn't all there with you!  There are no answers there this is what you what it to be one can see you have already made up your mind!  LOL

12 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I sense it isn't all there with you!  There are no answers there this is what you what it to be one can see you have already made up your mind!  LOL

Both articles on this site. Seems it's not me that isn't all there..

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/move-forward-party-leaders-political-future-uncertain/

https://www.voanews.com/a/thai-pm-candidate-faces-disqualification-bid/7099334.html

Edited by dinsdale
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, neeray said:

His grasp of English can't possibly hurt. English is the most spoken language in the world. English is the official language of the United Nations, the European Union, WTO and the International Monetary Fund. English is the official language of 67 countries. I see no reason why his grasp of English would lead PITA to make Thailand a client state of America. Speaking fluent English will only help to advance the interests of Thailand on the world stage. His English ability is not "necessary for a Thai prime minister", but it is highly advantageous.

Although that said, quite a few leaders of rogue states appear not to have much ability in the English language.....and the USA pres bumbles his way through it.