Money saving ideas

bignok

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Make your own baked beans

Use every tea bag 2x

I got the Makro beans you suggested, soaked them overnight. Made up some tomato sauce from tinned, chopped tomatoes, Maggi, Siracha sauce. Put in the oven at 140*C for three hours.

Horrible, beans still hard.

As for tea bags, I use leaf tea in a proper teapot. 

One good way is to sup Chang as opposed to Singha, Bht 170 for 3 as opposed to Bht 188.

1 - I find Agoda cheap. Cant see how TA helps. Compare price with booking.com. Or ask for room discount if direct by paying 3 nights or more.

2 - Buy coffee from 7/11 and make in room. Buy bananas from market to have for breakfast or snack.

3 - take excess toilet paper, toothpaste, soap and shampoo from hotel.

4 - travel low season.

5 - download airasia, scoot apps. Check for specials.

6 - look for insurance specials via comparison sites. Use codes.

7 - use Bolt for transfers.

8- travel by train. Super cheap if fan carriages.

28 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I got the Makro beans you suggested, soaked them overnight. Made up some tomato sauce from tinned, chopped tomatoes, Maggi, Siracha sauce. Put in the oven at 140*C for three hours.

One good way is to sup Chang as opposed to Singha, Bht 170 for 3 as opposed to Bht 188.

Mine were perfect after 30 mins in the pressure cooker.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Had a stroke 8 years ago, doc had me on all sorts of pills exforge HCT being one of them... my monthly pill bill was 37k at the hospital pharmacy... luckily my insurance covered the cost.

Lost a heap of weight and due to being unconscious in hospital for a few weeks also got off the booze and ciggies.

No more hypertension pills as my BP is consistently normal now and has been since I was released from hospital 2 months ago.

So the way to save money is get sick.

• Haha 1

During Covid restrictions we had fibre internet installed, had a couple of service interruptions every month.

Now we are getting out of house more without internet on phones,we dumped fibre and now we each have 12 month sims 300mbps and when shared 140gb pm saving 7K baht pa

24 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

So the way to save money is get sick.

Very sick, saving over 400k a year sorta makes it worthwhile but I don't recommend the 3 goes at cardiac arrest though..... am glad I was unconscious !!

43 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Leave Thailand, come to Germany and tell the immigration you're an asylum seeker. Free living, only the weather is not very comfortable. ????

Could you please elaborate your theory? How to come to Germany as an asylum seeker without a visa? :whistling: :smile:

Edited by ravip

1 hour ago, bignok said:

1 - I find Agoda cheap. Cant see how TA helps. Compare price with booking.com. Or ask for room discount if direct by paying 3 nights or more.

2 - Buy coffee from 7/11 and make in room. Buy bananas from market to have for breakfast or snack.

3 - take excess toilet paper, toothpaste, soap and shampoo from hotel.

4 - travel low season.

5 - download airasia, scoot apps. Check for specials.

6 - look for insurance specials via comparison sites. Use codes.

7 - use Bolt for transfers.

8- travel by train. Super cheap if fan carriages.

In relation to Agoda it is now chaotic in terms of prices. You can search 10 minutes apart and get different prices. A week later can be a fair bit different.
It will be say $100 if go Agoda direct but if search the hotel by a travel site,  or search engine such as google, the price by Agoda will be cheaper often by at least 10 per cent than direct. Probably because they are competing. There is an additional trick where you can book with hotels.com and pay a higher price but then send a screenshot of Agoda and they price match. Then hotels.com give a free night for every ten nights booked. Only worth it for long holidays. 
For travel insurance get the Bankwest credit card that has no annual fee and covers you for I think three months decent insurance at a time. Free. Also no fee for buying with foreign exchange compared to 3 or 4 per cent for many cards. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

if they make you fart a lot your   beans are good to go

mushy  peas also need a lot of hard cooking  on the stove

• Love It 1

1/  Give up alcohol. It's a Class 1 carcinogen anyway.

2/ Learn Thai. Good mental exercise, and plenty of free instruction.

3/ Take a songthaew instead of a taxi.

4/ Learn to cook for yourself.

5/ Take the free shuttle bus between Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang.

6/ In a new town, give yourself time to look around for accommodation in the 500 - 700 baht/night range. See any room first before committing.

7/ Buy secondhand clothing.

8/ Buy secondhand cars and scooters

9/ Shop in the local markets for fruit and vegetables in season.

10/ Exercise to stay healthy, cheaper than hospitals. Don't buy gym memberships, everything required is on YouTube.

11/ Only apply for a re-entry permit when you know you will need it.

12/ Do your visa extensions yourself. Agents charge about 3000 baht/hour for their services, better in your pocket than theirs.

13/ If you must have a GF or wife, find one who is also a Cheap Charlie.

14/ Never ever tell anyone else how much money you have.

15/ If you pay more than 200 baht for a 1 hour massage, you are paying too much.

16/ Be law-abiding and non-confrontational. Disputes here can be costly.

17/ Do not buy property in Thailand. Rent what is affordable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

In relation to Agoda

One thing to watch for when booking more than one night on Agoda is they will charge you all nights at the rate of the most expensive night. 

E.g you book a week in a hotel & 6 of the 7 nights are 1,000b with one night 2,000b, they’ll charge you 7x2,000b

We always check each night & when necessary make multiple bookings (in the example above we would book the 6 nights at 1,000b & the 7th at 2,000b so 8,000b all in).

On a similar note when booking flights always check the price for one person as if there’s only 1 cheap seat left you can book that & pay the higher price for the 2nd person, otherwise you’ll pay the higher price for both. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1