British Cycling to ban transgender women from competing in elite female category

onthedarkside

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are there many transgender cyclists in the UK? 

Less than half a dozen, and only one currently competing elite transgender cyclist.

There is of course Pippa York, who was disgracefully hounded by the Daily Mail. 

Pippa no longer competes, but received a standing ovation from a packed crowd at the National Cycling Center when she attended as a spectator at the Olympic Games.

Pippa remains hugely respected and admired within the cycling community.

I recommend Matt Stevens - The Cafe Ride Episode 12 - Pippa York.

Well done British Cycling for responding after consultation and considered review.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Are you telling me the precendent isnt already there in plenty of other sports??

If you believe athletes go thorough gender transition to win medals, I doubt anything I have to say on the matter will change your mind.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Slightly off topic,

I used to do time trials cycling from CM Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep.

As a male I was positioned at a bit over 600th.

As a female I was in the top 10.

That's a massive difference.

Who knew.

But did you read the OP?

British Cycling have just banded Transgender (male to female) from competing in women’s events in the UK.

Not much relevance to Doi Suthep.

But good news to see the UK’s governing body making a considered ruling to address a societal change.

Will one "open category" be enough? I can see, further down the line, people complaining. Maybe women who have transitioned to men wanting their own category. Those transitioning not wanting to compete with those totally transitioned. Not only cycling but many sports.

17 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Will one "open category" be enough? I can see, further down the line, people complaining. Maybe women who have transitioned to men wanting their own category. Those transitioning not wanting to compete with those totally transitioned. Not only cycling but many sports.

The majority of bicycle races in the UK are open category time trials.

Beryl Burton cis-female, was a frequent open category winner and held open category national records.

British Cycling has always been welcoming to all who wish to cycle.

It’s good to see British Cycling make considered rules to keep the sport in pace with changes insider society’s.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The majority of bicycle races in the UK are open category time trials.

Beryl Burton cis-female, was a frequent open category winner and held open category national records.

British Cycling has always been welcoming to all who wish to cycle.

It’s good to see British Cycling make considered rules to keep the sport in pace with changes insider society’s.

I think you've missed my point.

Firstly, I did say this will not only effect cycling. 

Secondly, your final paragraph mentions " keeping pace" with changes. That is my point. I can see the need for more changes as transgender groups splinter into more specific groups.

Similar in a way to Para sport. More and more categories being created as people complain of unfair advantages in their current catagory.

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I think you've missed my point.

Firstly, I did say this will not only effect cycling. 

Secondly, your final paragraph mentions " keeping pace" with changes. That is my point. I can see the need for more changes as transgender groups splinter into more specific groups.

Similar in a way to Para sport. More and more categories being created as people complain of unfair advantages in their current catagory.

I can’t see anything wrong with that.

I’m all for sport being open to everyone.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

I can’t see anything wrong with that.

I’m all for sport being open to everyone.

Neither do I.

Just having a conversation on an open forum. 

The point is not about sport being "open" to everyone. It's about different people's perception of "fairness". The old saying " you can please some people some of the time.............." springs to mind.