British Cycling to ban transgender women from competing in elite female category

onthedarkside

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Oh dear.  

I'll say it again. Transgender women can compete in open categories. They have had medical treatment and transitioned. A transvestite is a man who has no interest in being a women but will sometimes dress as one. Examples, Grayson Perry and Eddie Izzard. They would not be permitted to enter into the open category. However they are dressed.

You cannot change post puberty physical advantage

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The ‘transgender lobby’ is clearly no more powerful than the minute number of transgender people.

If they can cause bad things to happen to people as a consequence of saying something they consider to be anti-trans, if people think about not wanting to upset them when they make a public comment, then they have power.

There’s a lot of demonization around transgender issues, almost entirely from the rightwing press, rightwing pundits, rightwing politicians, various religious groups all directed at transgender people.

It's actually very mainstream.  There's a lot of pushback from very normal centre and left leaning people.

I’m sure you do imagine a lot of things, but it doesn’t make it so.

I'm sure you deny a lot of things, doesn't make it not so though.

I don’t see anyone on this forum complaining about this ruling by British Cycling despite many members, including myself, having a history of expressing support for transgender people being allowed to live their lives just like the rest of us.

That doesn't really mean much.

Well done British Cycling for undertaking a consultation, gathering facts and opinions and coming to a considered resolution.

Absolutely.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, James105 said:

If a male cannot compete in an open category it is not open.   Perhaps you are referring to a category that is not open, but a category just for transgender people that excludes anyone who is not transgender and therefore not open.   

The article by the way suggests that the male category will become an 'open' category which means male, female, transvestite, transgender, 2 spirit, whatever else can enter.   As it is open.   

Senior ‘male’ bicycle races have been ‘open’ to all riders since the 1930s.

It’s through ‘Open category’ racing that Beryl Burton achieved her Division and National ‘Open’ championships and ‘Open’ National records.

7 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

If they can cause bad things to happen to people as a consequence of saying something they consider to be anti-trans, if people think about not wanting to upset them when they make a public comment, then they have power.

It's actually very mainstream.  There's a lot of pushback from very normal centre and left leaning people.

I'm sure you deny a lot of things, doesn't make it not so though.

That doesn't really mean much.

Absolutely.

So Transgender people are passing laws against anti-Transgender advocates?

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's actually very mainstream. 

the recent events with bud light and target seem to back this up.  i think its quite fair to call target mainstream. even bud light. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

Nonsense, there have been men who have only identified as women and they were allowed to compete in sports against them.

And aside from that, even if one does have a penile operation they still have the strength advantage, so it makes no difference 

A link would be nice. 

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

If a male cannot compete in an open category it is not open.   Perhaps you are referring to a category that is not open, but a category just for transgender people that excludes anyone who is not transgender and therefore not open.   

The article by the way suggests that the male category will become an 'open' category which means male, female, transvestite, transgender, 2 spirit, whatever else can enter.   As it is open.   

I was using the terminology used. Obviously the category will be explained as "open to athletes...... ........" referring to other categories.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Exactly. 

It's a topic that most people are aware of and have some sort of opinion on.  It's been discussed openly in many parliaments and lots of very normal people (even left-leaning ones) have spoken out.  With bills being passed that go against what trans activist would like.

Some people simply try to pretend that only far-right, Nazi White Supremacist types are concerned about these issues, in an effort to try and silence people.

Can you give an example of a liberal legislator passing laws targeting the rights, freedoms and life choices of people?

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Can you give an example of a liberal legislator passing laws targeting the rights, freedoms and life choices of people?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

In case it helps, "trans rights" (as they are currently being discussed) target the rights, freedoms and life choices of women and children.  Does that help?

It's not clear what you're trying to say.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Can you give an example of a conservative legislator passing laws targeting the rights, freedoms and life choices of people?