Trump Calls On DeSantis To Stop 'Woke' Disney In Flip-Flop On Feud

onthedarkside

image.png.92fd16964c1a0cf31f502e7ef75de7d8.png

Donald Trump mocked Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis over not putting a stop to “woke” Disney “long ago” weeks after the former president called his challenger’s feud with the company “all so unnecessary.”

Trump, in a Truth Social post, criticized Disney for being a “Woke and Disgusting shadow” of its old self before taking aim at DeSantis, who has been in a feud with the company since its opposition of the state’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill.

“Disney has become a Woke and Disgusting shadow of its former self, with people actually hating it,” Trump wrote on Sunday.

READ MORE

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-calls-desantis-stop-woke-100427955.html

image.png.f39cdf1c58d9f9abb6c0958e205410fd.png

• Love It 2

28 minutes ago, James105 said:

What happened to the Disney that was universally loved and focused on creating entertaining stories rather than shoehorning "the message" into every bit of content they create?  They are now a political - and therefore divisive - company.   I fail to see how that will help their bottom line as they are alienating large portions of their potential customers and losing out in big markets such as China.  

Most people don't want to see DeSantis creating animated feature films in much the same way that most people don't want to see Disney creating overtly political movies.

Disney has been doing fine in China since 2019 doesn't seem to be losing out at all now.

The Marvel movie ban in China has officially been lifted

The Marvel titles that were blocked from release in China include Black Widow, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Eternals, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Thor: Love and Thunder.

https://www.euronews.com/culture/2023/01/18/the-marvel-movie-ban-in-china-has-officially-been-lifted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

What happened to the Disney that was universally loved and focused on creating entertaining stories rather than shoehorning "the message" into every bit of content they create?  They are now a political - and therefore divisive - company.   I fail to see how that will help their bottom line as they are alienating large portions of their potential customers and losing out in big markets such as China.  

Most people don't want to see DeSantis creating animated feature films in much the same way that most people don't want to see Disney creating overtly political movies.

Clearly you've bought the DeSantis line that Disney is woke and therefore evil.  I'll bet you don't know what Disney did that is considered woke and evil, do you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Clearly you've bought the DeSantis line that Disney is woke and therefore evil.  I'll bet you don't know what Disney did that is considered woke and evil, do you?

Since I didn't actually say any of what you said let me give you the definition of a straw man argument:

"an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument."

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

What did Disney actually do that is so egregiously "woke"?

Once again, I didn't use the word woke (I used political) but a visual representation of just how divisive they are nowadays can be easily seen by looking at the IMBD ratings for their latest remake of a classic property (Little Mermaid) that has been put through the diversity blender:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5971474/ratings/?ref_=tt_ov_rt

If I was a shareholder of Disney I would not be best pleased about this as it is so easily avoidable by simply steering clear of politics, sticking close to the source material (if remaking something people previously loved) and creating new stories that include diverse characters if they want to increase representation.   

image.png.5104586fb03ecd9337c7d84c953f775e.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, James105 said:

Once again, I didn't use the word woke (I used political) but a visual representation of just how divisive they are nowadays can be easily seen by looking at the IMBD ratings for their latest remake of a classic property (Little Mermaid) that has been put through the diversity blender:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5971474/ratings/?ref_=tt_ov_rt

If I was a shareholder of Disney I would not be best pleased about this as it is so easily avoidable by simply steering clear of politics, sticking close to the source material (if remaking something people previously loved) and creating new stories that include diverse characters if they want to increase representation.   

What's a diversity blender? Is that some right wing "hidden" racist dog whistle? Sure sounds like it.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Trump is likely jealous of Disney's ability to actually earn a profit. Something the duke of bankruptcy has a very, very hard time figuring out how to do. He is utterly desperate and clutching for straws. Poor, poor Don Don. 

Surely there's a far right billionaire somewhere who could buy Disney and make it anti woke? No, forget Twitter, the same thing wouldn't happen to Disney. Would it?

2 hours ago, candide said:

Thanks to a right-wing review bombing campaign. However:

"Despite critics being split over Disney’s live-action take on The Little Mermaid, audiences have made the film one of the biggest movies of the year after just three days on release. "

https://movieweb.com/the-little-mermaid-review-bombing-imdb-issue-warning-fans-to-make-their-own-mind-up/

This proves my point that Disney are a divisive company now that they have decided to get involved in Politics.   Did the original version of this movie get review bombed?  No.  Why is that you ask?  Because back then Disney focused on what they were good at and did not get involved in politics.   

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, James105 said:

This proves my point that Disney are a divisive company now that they have decided to get involved in Politics.   Did the original version of this movie get review bombed?  No.  Why is that you ask?  Because back then Disney focused on what they were good at and did not get involved in politics.   

Once again, exactly how is Disney getting involved in politics?  Why can't you answer that?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Once again, exactly how is Disney getting involved in politics?  Why can't you answer that?

Not sure I needed to answer it considering it's literally in the OP of this thread but if you insist I'll copy the relevant bit down here for you and highlight the bit about Disney in bold to make it easier for you:

"Trump, in a Truth Social post, criticized Disney for being a “Woke and Disgusting shadow” of its old self before taking aim at DeSantis, who has been in a feud with the company since its opposition of the state’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Who made a political issue of harmonious acceptance and coexistence between people of different sexual orientation, if not the U.S. right-wing?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, James105 said:

Not sure I needed to answer it considering it's literally in the OP of this thread but if you insist I'll copy the relevant bit down here for you and highlight the bit about Disney in bold to make it easier for you:

"Trump, in a Truth Social post, criticized Disney for being a “Woke and Disgusting shadow” of its old self before taking aim at DeSantis, who has been in a feud with the company since its opposition of the state’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill."

So neither you nor Trump can say what Disney has done to earn the title of "woke".  Got it.

33 minutes ago, James105 said:

The single biggest employer in the state shouldn't comment on social rights issues? That's pretty lame stuff. How about defending the bill instead of attacking the messenger. Oh wait, the far right don't do that. Attacking the messenger is rule one in the play book. It's nuts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James105 said:

Disney has always been a bit corny with the message ‘it’s a small world after all’ and be good and nice and caring.  The goalposts of what is good and nice maybe a bit more broad in 2023 but it’s the same general principle which is half admirable and half sickly sweet. 

46 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The single biggest employer in the state shouldn't comment on social rights issues? That's pretty lame stuff. How about defending the bill instead of attacking the messenger. Oh wait, the far right don't do that. Attacking the messenger is rule one in the play book. It's nuts.

If I defended the bill you would no doubt complain that it is off topic.   So I didn't.    

However, if you insist.   The bill in question mentioned in the OP was designed to prevent teachers or 3rd parties talking about sexual orientation and gender identities to kindergarten through grade 3 kids (5-9 year olds) and defer this topic to a more age appropriate time.   I don't really think there is much to defend about that bill as most non pedophiliacs of rational mind would consider that safeguarding kids of that age from sexual literature or discussion is not really that controversial.  

• Like 1