Shopee Aircondition experience

h90

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just had a look at the Homepro app for an AC and install, very extensive options, looks good,very clear, says removal 750 baht

removal 750 Baht is rich.....I removed it myself in about 20 min and gave it for my staff they can sell it as scrap metal and are allowed to pocket the money. I guess someone more skilled can remove it in 10 min. But on the other hand in some cases it might be more difficult or dangerous.

3 hours ago, h90 said:

removal 750 Baht is rich.....I removed it myself in about 20 min and gave it for my staff they can sell it as scrap metal and are allowed to pocket the money. I guess someone more skilled can remove it in 10 min. But on the other hand in some cases it might be more difficult or dangerous.

So I am guessing that you did not, as is the usual requirement, recover the refrigerant? 
The point is not the time taken for removal, you are paying for the time taken to travel to you along with the training and professional tools, along with insurance, you are also paying for HomePro taking the responsibility.

It is certain that it can be done more cheaply but the actual time taken often has no bearing on the price charged.

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So I am guessing that you did not, as is the usual requirement, recover the refrigerant? 
The point is not the time taken for removal, you are paying for the time taken to travel to you along with the training and professional tools, along with insurance, you are also paying for HomePro taking the responsibility.

It is certain that it can be done more cheaply but the actual time taken often has no bearing on the price charged.

There was no refrigerant in it...that was the problem, it leaked out from where the tube enters the compressor.
But the last few installations with removal I have seen: They cut the tubes and let the refrigerant out......I don't know if HomePro collects them. The local shops don't. While these substances are not harmful they are Fluorine/Chlorine substances. Don't know what they do in the long run to environment if they are in UV light.

17 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

At computers and other devices it often helps if you turn around the plug when you plug it in.

Your problem is there in the writing, you can not turn around a 3-pin plug.

22 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You probably need to order from an actual AC company, shopee is only an agent. A real AC company will actually inspect the location that you want the AC installed, 

We have a company that send round the actual install technicians then quotes a price, at the moment we are waiting for the unit we decided on to arrive, it is due any day now then the install will take place.

I get many installed, have a local guyu I trust...  then order from Lazada = done...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lom said:

Well....you can....

We have a few of the 3 pin plugs here that have the middle pin screwed in, you can screw it out. The unscrew the safety is philosophical interesting....

Version 2: seen where there was no hole for the 3rd pin: Take pliers, pull out the middle pin like a rotten tooth and problem fixed......

(This is not meant as technical advise....it is the opposite of it...don't do that)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

While these substances are not harmful they are Fluorine/Chlorine substances. Don't know what they do in the long run to environment if they are in UV light.

The majority of older AC units use R22, R22 is extremely harmful to the environment, it is 1810 times more harmful than CO2 and is an ozone depleting product . So while they may not be directly harmful if you breathe it they are dangerous to the environment.

1 hour ago, h90 said:

But the last few installations with removal I have seen: They cut the tubes and let the refrigerant out

Just because the local shops are environmental cretinous does not give you a pass to emulate them.

IMG_5429.thumb.jpeg.0ea2221b071e06f949bff0f3d87d36fd.jpeg

Refrigerant should be collected unless it is a HC one then you should be careful of flame or sparks. The HC ones include 

• R50 (methane)
  • R290 (propane)
  • R600 (butane)
  • R600a (isobutane)
  • R1270 (propylene).

CO2 is zero harmful.....it is even healthy for plants, they even put gas burner in greenhouses to increase it, but plants can't use R22.

The ozone layer if you mean that is closing while the substances should still increase there so it seems they weren't that big of a problem.

I wouldn't worry about that.

R22 you can freely buy on Lazada and refill a leaky aircon every week like some people do..blowing enormous amounts into the air. And I am not too sure what Fluorine products are generated from R22 with UV radiation. I would rather worry what is in the air in Bangkok when too many release that.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Seeall said:

I get many installed, have a local guyu I trust...  then order from Lazada = done...

This looks like the best option if the AC is offered on Lazada or Shopee at a big discount, which often they seem to be vs the big stores

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lom said:

I have them all on a power strip. My wall sockets can't handle 3 pin plugs. Then try turn around the plug of this. I made the experience that this often helps. 

3 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I have them all on a power strip. My wall sockets can't handle 3 pin plugs. Then try turn around the plug of this. I made the experience that this often helps. 

be careful with the power strips. if they have switch, don't trust them. The switch on that one that caused me getting a shock turned off only one side and in my case it was the zero, while the full electric was still there.
Usually I always double and triple check everything and one time I did not and only turned off the power strip.....I would call everyone who blindly trust a cheap power strip an idiot.....so that title applies to me....I survived it....

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, h90 said:

be careful with the power strips. if they have switch, don't trust them. The switch on that one that caused me getting a shock turned off only one side and in my case it was the zero, while the full electric was still there.
Usually I always double and triple check everything and one time I did not and only turned off the power strip.....I would call everyone who blindly trust a cheap power strip an idiot.....so that title applies to me....I survived it....

Yes, normally there is only one phase switched. In my condo I marked at all wall sockets where the live wire is and at all power strip plugs I have also marked how they need to be plugged in correctly. I do they same with all lamps and other things that have a switch. So I make sure that the live wire is switched off and not the neutral wire. 

1 minute ago, Mickeymaus said:

Yes, normally there is only one phase switched. In my condo I marked at all wall sockets where the live wire is and at all power strip plugs I have also marked how they need to be plugged in correctly. I do they same with all lamps and other things that have a switch. So I make sure that the live wire is switched off and not the neutral wire. 

nice....I found on Shopee or Lazada more industrial looking strips (they look very ugly Mrs. h90 says) they have some braker as switch. I think they switch both sides and they are in different wire sqmm available. And they are easy to open and to check inside. I changed most to them (house is anyway half company, half private). And wife after 20 years is used to it that all looks like a Russian factory