Elderly Man Shoots New Homeowner Dead over Eviction Dispute, Stages 8-Hour Standoff

webfact

Fault lies with the bank not clearing out the house b/f selling it…the new owner’s fault is she should not have handed over CC until house was empty and inspected

pure laziness and bad business…sorry but very cultural driven…a problem arises and the typical attitude of mai bpen rai rather than confront and resolve the issue

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

i'm superstitious and i've always felt it's bad luck to buy a foreclosed home. 

We bought a foreclosed home from the Kasikorn Bank debt reclamation department 17 years ago, so far the the sky hasn't fallen.

Sad case, the owner's husband was from Singapore, she borrowed against the house to pay for his chemotherapy, he died anyway and she couldn't repay the loan.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

doesn't sound like the Bank actually did reposess the property if the former owner was still living there. Plus why did they sell it when the house was not vacated? Something is amiss there.........the family of this lady who has lost her life need some answers I think. 

Sure laws  are different this being Thailand they need  a tough Lawyer to get those answers.

Did the bank know did they auction and disclose the fact to her.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Having killed the buyer, police should have shot to kill him. Now it will take months if not years to convict him, and doubtless he will be released long before he dies.

Execute first, hold the trial after?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why did she buy it when (she knew that) the house was not vacated?   No one forced her.

Good idea. 

Why nor blame the dead victim.

Afterall, it is not as if she can answer back.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

the new owner should have had a police officer go with her to discuss him vacating.  that's where she went wrong but we can all say that after the fact. 

RIP new house owner.

Perhaps then 2 people would have died.

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps then 2 people would have died.

well we don't know that do we ....  but she shouldn't have gone there alone,   remember the old tv show in the US and it was in Australia for a few years ... called repo guy or repossession guy ...  he would rock up at someone's house to take their Mercedes or Corvette or even light aircraft or whatever expensive.  Obviously a fight would ensue and all hell would break loose ....  haha

Quicker you can pay off your home the better. Banks are crooks IMHO. I bought a place in the US a few years ago after leaving Thailand, and financed it to get in quick. After two years I contacted them and wanted to pay it off in cash. It took forever, I am not kidding. They called daily wanting to refinance and give me cash, every excuse under the sun for me to not pay it off. I finally got an amortization schedule calculated the pay off and sent it in. In a few weeks after the check cleared I got a release of lien and a small check saying I over paid.  POS banks, not just in Thailand. 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

Even at 65 years of age a thai ego is still dangerously huge. Love the Buddhist lifestyle. Especially those nice Monks. 

It seems to me an act of pure despair after a life of struggling and finally losing everything. 

Its a sad testament to any society anywhere that such people are forced to face such devastating desperation... 

Thats not to defend his actions, but to abhor the system that enabled this situation in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Having killed the buyer, police should have shot to kill him. Now it will take months if not years to convict him, and doubtless he will be released long before he dies.

What went wrong in your life that you value human life so little...I just feel sorry for you!

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

doesn't sound like the Bank actually did reposess the property if the former owner was still living there. Plus why did they sell it when the house was not vacated? Something is amiss there.........the family of this lady who has lost her life need some answers I think. 

Just went through a repossession of a property that the ex GF vacated..  

It took abut 3 years during that time if I had wanted to and was able to pay the hydro and water bill as well as condo fees there would not have been a problem.

When the new owner wanted to get into the property the neighbors told him to come see me as I had all the keys.  They had not even changed the lock on the door.

As to being stolen by the bank considering the paperwork that I saw and the amount of info that was served by hand there was in fact ample warning and chance to go to court and argue it or hire a lawyer.

I think as the Thai community gets older and people are forced to retire we are going to see more and more of these situations.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Stocky said:

We bought a foreclosed home from the Kasikorn Bank debt reclamation department 17 years ago, so far the the sky hasn't fallen.

Sad case, the owner's husband was from Singapore, she borrowed against the house to pay for his chemotherapy, he died anyway and she couldn't repay the loan.

I looked into bank repos several times. They valued the property ridiculously high. If you got a good deal count yourself lucky. I never could understand when a property was falling down in disrepair why they would not reduce the price?  Still sitting last time I was there completely in ruins. . Complete loss..

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Just went through a repossession of a property that the ex GF vacated..  

It took abut 3 years during that time if I had wanted to and was able to pay the hydro and water bill as well as condo fees there would not have been a problem.

When the new owner wanted to get into the property the neighbors told him to come see me as I had all the keys.  They had not even changed the lock on the door.

As to being stolen by the bank considering the paperwork that I saw and the amount of info that was served by hand there was in fact ample warning and chance to go to court and argue it or hire a lawyer.

I think as the Thai community gets older and people are forced to retire we are going to see more and more of these situations.

Thailand has almost 0 senior support. Basically if you have not worked for the government and paid in you are screwed. Not to mention most cannot see past their front door to save for retirement. That is why the kids end up caring for the elderly. If no kids, then it's hand to mouth.

Government needs to set up a social program and force them to pay into it. 

Edited by Gknrd

23 hours ago, save the frogs said:

you are right but they are soo cheap that its mostly kept among family members

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, NemoH said:

Strange for the Bank to sell a property without vacant possession and having first evicted the mortgagors. Must have been a very cheap sale because the property was still occupied when sold…cheap comes with consequences….

So sad for all parties. 

I found a bank repossessed house in the area I wanted, and the price was right. But when I found out that the previous owners were still in the house and that the bank had tried for a year to evict them, I walked away.

10 hours ago, Gknrd said:

I looked into bank repos several times. They valued the property ridiculously high. If you got a good deal count yourself lucky. I never could understand when a property was falling down in disrepair why they would not reduce the price?  Still sitting last time I was there completely in ruins. . Complete loss..

It was a ten year old property, fairly well maintained, and recently vacated; we felt it was a good deal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, billd766 said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why did she buy it when (she knew that) the house was not vacated?   No one forced her.

Good idea. 

Why nor blame the dead victim.

Afterall, it is not as if she can answer back.

I did not blame her for her own death, I simply pointed out fact, she knew what the situation was with the house/owner when she bought it, presumably at an appropriate price.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ujayujay said:

What went wrong in your life that you value human life so little...I just feel sorry for you!

But you don't seem to feel sorry for the murdered innocent victim.

What value did the murderer put on HER life?

On 5/31/2023 at 8:49 AM, save the frogs said:

I am just glad the old guy won’t be homeless. I hope he likes a hard bed and lots and lots of socializing. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I think having a mortgage for a house is a lot different than a car, there are not many people in the world that can afford to buy a house in their home country, he had lived there for 20yrs. most people are only one months pay away from defaulting on ALL their bills, Everywhere.

You're right, there is a difference between a mortgage and a consumer credit. Here in Thailand though you hardly find anyone who knows the difference and a mortgage at close to 10% annually is higher than a consumer credit in most European countries. So, in all fairness, the banks/finance companies borrow you money and throw in, for good measure, a house, bike or a car ....... 

The unfortunate buyer perhaps should of followed the law and obtained a court order to evict the previous owner .

The result is what can happen when you do not follow the law when evicting people . 

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Here in Thailand though you hardly find anyone who knows the difference 

Really have you been out asking All Thais ? or is it just the Thais You mix with? I have found Hardly anyone who does not no the difference.

Go figure.