COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

webfact

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When this becomes the "Global Now" forum, you might have a point.

But as long as it remains the "Asean Now" forum, I'm gonna continue to focus on Asia region country results inclusive of Thailand, as I did.  The rest of the article speaks for itself.

Pertinent takeaway is: COVID cases up in Thailand, China, South Korea, Australia, Philippines and Indonesia.

Fair point so what are the chances of dying from, not with covid in Thailand, population >70,000,.000? Would you agree it's a very, very, very, very small %?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Were it not for poorly informed individuals, vaccination could eliminate the virus, as it did for Smallpox.

As for vaccination of schoolchildren, do you oppose Measles, Polio, etc vaccination?

Are the very good measles, polio, diptheria, mumps, rubella vaccines mRNA.? No. Do they work? Yes. I am all in favour of these vaccinations for children because history has shown the are very effective and side effects are minimal. Can the same be said for the covid vaccinations? 

Edited by dinsdale

Just now, dinsdale said:

Are the very good measles, polio, diptheria, mumps, rubella vaccines mRNA.? nO. Do they work? Yes. I am all in favour of these vaccinations for children because history has shown the are very effective and side effects are minimal. Can the same be said for the covid vaccinations? 

Interesting bias you have.

I hope you realize that a lot of Covid anti-vaxxers oppose any vaccinations for schoolchildren.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

No. Many anti-Vaxxers oppose vaccinations for schoolchildren.

Alas this is true and is part of the reason measals is still around. IMO not wanting to have you're kids jabbed with mRNA vaccinations against a non-severe virus is different. If there was an mRNA vax for the common cold would you take it and would you allow you're kids to be jabbed with it?

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Interesting bias you have.

I hope you realize that a lot of Covid anti-vaxxers oppose any vaccinations for schoolchildren.

You're response is nonsensicle. I said kids should be vaccinated against the viruses they are vaccinated against. Covid should not be one of them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Are the very good measles, polio, diptheria, mumps, rubella vaccines mRNA.? No. Do they work? Yes. I am all in favour of these vaccinations for children because history has shown the are very effective and side effects are minimal. Can the same be said for the covid vaccinations? 

Mutating respiratory vaccines, at least with current medical technology, are always going to be in a different category of effectiveness from the others.....

Look at the flu vaccine by comparison:

"While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to those used to make flu vaccines."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Considering the average age of Farangs in Thailand, another mass outbreak of Covid would not be pleasant.

Another nonsense post. It has been made absolutely clear on here that people who are in a risk group should consult a doctor. Hopefully a good one.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Mutating respiratory vaccines, at least with current medical technology, are always going to be in a different category of effectiveness from the others.....

Look at the flu vaccine by comparison:

"While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to those used to make flu vaccines."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Please have the decency to quote my entire post so context can be kept. Thank you.

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Alas this is true and is part of the reason measals is still around. IMO not wanting to have you're kids jabbed with mRNA vaccinations against a non-severe virus is different. If there was an mRNA vax for the common cold would you take it and would you allow you're kids to be jabbed with it?

because you have a bias against MRNA vaccines because someone complained about them on social media.

You would do better by linking to some clinical studies showing problems with MRNA vaccines. Of course, there have been a billion MRNA vaccinations lately, so good luck.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2023 at 1:06 PM, Kaopad999 said:

No thanks, i'll passs. I  was in Laos the other weeek and hardly anyone were wearing masks. The lcoals were just gettig on with their lifes as if Covid never even existed in the first place. 

On 6/2/2023 at 2:07 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The current vaccines REDUCE the risk of you contracting the COVID virus, especially in the months immediately post injection.

And, longer term, also significantly reduce the risk of either getting seriously ill or dying from COVID, compared to those who have been unvaccinated.

On 6/3/2023 at 8:37 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It would have been helpful to many people if the government health authorities had known that and communicated it when rolling out the vaccines, instead of issuing public statements of 100% effectiveness.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Pfizer vaccine started out at 95% efficacy against symptomatic COVID infection in the main clinical trial against the original version of the COVID virus.... It was the virus and ensuing variants that changed after that.

Pfizer and BioNTech Conclude Phase 3 Study of COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate, Meeting All Primary Efficacy Endpoints

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

"Primary efficacy analysis demonstrates BNT162b2 to be 95% effective against COVID-19 beginning 28 days after the first dose;...

Efficacy was consistent across age, gender, race and ethnicity demographics; observed efficacy in adults over 65 years of age was over 94%."

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-conclude-phase-3-study-covid-19-vaccine

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Pfizer vaccine started out at 95% efficacy against symptomatic COVID infection in the main clinical trial against the original version of the COVID virus

It would have been helpful to many people if the government health authorities had known that and communicated it when rolling out the vaccines, instead of issuing public statements of 100% effectiveness.

19 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

They did, health authorities and countless studies all confirmed the vaccine effectiveness waned as the variants evolved. However protection for serious illness and death still strong.

This from 2021

vaccines are less effective against the Delta variant compared to the Alpha variant.

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2021/08/19/delta-variant-and-vaccine-effectiveness-what-can-the-cis-tell-us/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

They did, health authorities and countless studies all confirmed the vaccine effectiveness waned as the variants evolved. However protection for serious illness and death still strong.

This from 2021

vaccines are less effective against the Delta variant compared to the Alpha variant.

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2021/08/19/delta-variant-and-vaccine-effectiveness-what-can-the-cis-tell-us/

I am sure that you know as well is I do that extremely senior members of the US Government, the leading health authorities and their toadies in the media, all made statements to the effect that the vaccines provided absolute 100% protection from infection and transmission of Covid-19.

You will have seen the videos of them saying exactly that, just as I and millions of other people have.

The statements about 100% effectiveness were flat-out wrong. Whether they already knew what they were saying was wrong depends on whether they were acting maliciously or were plain incompetent. Or both.

• Thanks 2

On 6/2/2023 at 4:20 PM, skippybangkok said:

I had a natural booster a few weeks back.... 

felt a little <deleted>, like having the flu, and a really really snotty nose for 2 days.

done

Panadol, decongestant and Strepsils were all I needed for a couple of days while getting my natural booster too. Covid was milder than many colds I'd had.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

I am sure that you know as well is I do that extremely senior members of the US Government, the leading health authorities and their toadies in the media, all made statements to the effect that the vaccines provided absolute 100% protection from infection and transmission of Covid-19.

You will have seen the videos of them saying exactly that, just as I and millions of other people have.

The statements about 100% effectiveness were flat-out wrong. Whether they already knew what they were saying was wrong depends on whether they were acting maliciously or were plain incompetent. Or both.

Like I said as variants evolved the advice and science changed, in the US, UK and just about every country that administered vaccines but they still provided good protection from serious illness and death. This also from 2021

Analysis of nursing home COVID-19 data from NHSN indicated a significant decline in effectiveness of full mRNA COVID-19 vaccination against laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection, from 74.7% during the pre-Delta period (March 1–May 9, 2021) to 53.1% during the period when the Delta variant predominated in the United States.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7034e3.htm

Edited by Bkk Brian

35 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Like I said as variants evolved the advice and science changed,

The science didn't change.

Even novice virologists know that respiratory viruses, by their nature, evolve quickly and become less controllable by vaccines. Influenza and the common cold have demonstrated this with crystal clarity for decades.

The 'advice' given in the early phases of the pandemic, with their blanket 100% vaccination guarantee, omitted this simple and obvious caveat to vaccine efficiency.

As I said, whether this was malice, incompetence, or both, we won't find out for a few years yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 2:06 PM, ThailandRyan said:

As I posted on another OP on Tuesday, the stepdaughter was sent home as well as the rest of her reduced class from school, as over half were out with Covid. She ended up with Covid later that day. Moving forward to today, we received a call about an hour ago from the stepdaughter who let us know that her father, her stepmother, Grandfather and Grandmother are all very sick with Covid.  In fact her Grandpa has been hospitalized as he is having a hard time breathing.  The step daughter sounds horrible still herself, she indicated she had a fever for the past 2 days but today it is gone. The hospital is seeing many new patients now she said, and Grandpa was moved ahead of the que as he needed oxygen. This is in the Sai Mai Area of Bangkok.  For those of you who think Covid is nothing and is not a problem, you better think again.  It does affect children as well.

Exactly.