Rabies outbreak claims 3 lives across 3 provinces; urgent vaccination urged

webfact

image.jpeg

A surge in rabies cases has claimed three lives in the provinces of Chonburi, Rayong, and Surin, due to a lack of adequate vaccination after contact with the disease. A 28 year old Myanmar man also died in Tak province after being bitten by a rabid dog while in Myanmar.

The Department of Disease Control’s Director, Dr. Tares Krassanairawiwong, reported that between January 1 and May 23, 2023, three deaths were recorded: one each in Chonburi, Rayong, and Surin, because the victims did not receive rabies vaccinations after contact with infected animals. Some cases involved individuals with prior vaccination history, but they did not receive a booster shot after being bitten.

The 28 year old Myanmar national who passed away in Tak province on May 3 had been in Myanmar during the middle of March when a dog bit him. His symptoms began on April 26 and he sought private treatment in Tak. His deteriorating condition led him to Mae Sot Hospital on April 28, where his saliva samples tested positive for rabies and he eventually died on May 3.

Since the infection took place outside Thailand, the case is not counted as a local report. Nevertheless, health authorities are monitoring and following up with potentially affected individuals.

by Nattapong Westwood

file photo

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/rabies-outbreak-claims-3-lives-across-3-provinces-urgent-vaccination-urged

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

This is absurd. Instead of taking care of the thousands of Soi dogs living wild in every street in the province, just push for an adequate vaccination supply for when people get bitten and infected. Never mind the source.

They supplied no data to prove a "surge", just 3 deaths. How many people had been infected and then vaccinated would be more useful information and evidence of a "surge".

Maybe they are suggesting an extensive rabies vaccination program for the entire population.

There are anti rabies vaccinations in every hospital /clinic in Thailand 

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Rabies outbreak claims 3 lives across 3 provinces; urgent vaccination urged

Well. What to say to this headline apart from it's clear as mud. Rabbies vaccines are post infection or possible infection they are not given otherwise as far as I know.

"They should then apply an antiseptic and confine the animal for close observation for up to 10 days. If the animal dies, notify local authorities immediately for testing and seek medical attention for a rabies vaccination."

I'm not sure 10 days would be advisable. Might be a bit late by then. Possible side effect of waiting 10 days could be death. Within 48 hrs is the time frame.

Not point in giving rabies vaccine post infection, once you are infected you will die, perhaps you mean post exposure.

Vaccines can be given pre or post exposure. 

Pre exposure prophylaxis is usual three doses followed by two boosters if exposed, post is four doses with Rabies Immune Globulin.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WHansen said:

I had to have a rabies vax and boosters before being allowed to work in africa.

You still need extra shots if bitten whilst vaccinated

Is there perhaps a couple of different vaccines, a preventative one, and one that is to be taken if an infection is suspect, after a bite? 

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

They used to have a law here where you were supposed to cut off the dogs head or something for testing. Not allowed anymore

Should bring that back, and lots of testing in every soi in Thailand. :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Yes, I have done already the rabies vaccination. It's a lifetime vaccine, costs around 500 Baht or so. If a dog bites you, you will need only a booster vaccine shot, that's all. It's better to be on the safe side. We never know.

In fact you need two booster shots.

so 3 people in 5 month....that is almost zero.

Reduce the dogs......instead of vaccinating everyone.

Thai people know that if they are got bitten by a dubious they need to go to hospital and receive the treatment.

When a rat bite me, it needed almost a fighting to prevent them dragging me into the next hospital.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

due to a lack of adequate vaccination after contact with the disease.

Media scaremongering.

Probably due to people not seeking medical assistance rather than a lack of vaccine as implied.

We live in Chonburi and have about 60 cats. my wife has been treated a few times for rabies as a result of wounds from the cats.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, quake said:

Should bring that back, and lots of testing in every soi in Thailand. :thumbsup:

There was a lot of free vaccination of animals going on in Chonburi prior to the pandemic with mobile units touring the area.

There has been no sign of the mobile units since the pandemic but a few weeks back there was a static open vaccination day where you bring your animal, not quite as effective.

Hopefully we will see the mobile units again shortly.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Media scaremongering.

Probably due to people not seeking medical assistance rather than a lack of vaccine as implied.

We live in Chonburi and have about 60 cats. my wife has been treated a few times for rabies as a result of wounds from the cats.

yes 3 dead in 5 month...it is not nothing but very close to it

• Like 1

Just now, LittleBear57 said:

Went to two clinics no rabies vaccine. Gave up and went to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, annoying due to the distance. 4 or 5 times too.

My Mrs got hers at Banglamung, only cost her 30 baht! There's a place in Rong Po where I had the cat done! ????

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There are anti rabies vaccinations in every hospital /clinic in Thailand 

Read the last line of my post again. Are you suggesting that the entire population should have anti rabies vaccinations?

Let rabid dogs run free, just make sure everyone is vaccinated?

You don't need confirmation of a dog having rabies after you're been bitten. It is assumed and vaccinations are recommended. Dogs bite people, rabid or not.

Edited by JensenZ

20 hours ago, webfact said:

A surge in rabies cases

caused by ignoring packs of ownerless diseased dogs urinating/defecating on every soi in Thailand's Hub of Health.  The number of road traffic accidents caused by strays is alarming but nothing will be done until a bus swerves to avoid a wild dog and runs into a queue of children.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, sikishrory said:

They used to have a law here where you were supposed to cut off the dogs head or something for testing. Not allowed anymore

Used to also be able to swap your soi dog for a plastic bucket, then the bloody greens came along and said it was bad for the environment to swap dogs for plastic buckets and they stopped.

4 hours ago, LittleBear57 said:

Went to two clinics no rabies vaccine. Gave up and went to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, annoying due to the distance. 4 or 5 times too.

Clinics don't have the vaccine.  Hospitals have it.

6 hours ago, h90 said:

When a rat bite me, it needed almost a fighting to prevent them dragging me into the next hospital.

Rat bites should be treated in a hospital. 

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Is there perhaps a couple of different vaccines, a preventative one, and one that is to be taken if an infection is suspect, after a bite? 

It's the same kind of vaccines,  but as a preventive vaccination they are given 3 times (new WHO schedule since 2018: only 2 clinic visits necessary, but maybe 2 injections at each visit,  depending on the injection technique used).

After being bitten or otherwise exposed (e.g. by licking on a wound), they are given 3 (if intradermal injections) or 4 (if intramuscular  injections) times if you haven't been vaccinated before (in this case you should also get immune globulin)

If you have been vaccinated before, only 2 times. 

16 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Pre exposure prophylaxis is usual three doses followed by two boosters if exposed, post is four doses with Rabies Immune Globulin.

That sums it up very well.

Post can be 3 times,  see above (TRC-ID)

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Clinics don't have the vaccine.  Hospitals have it.

Rat bites should be treated in a hospital. 

It's the same kind of vaccines,  but as a preventive vaccination they are given 3 times (new WHO schedule since 2018: only 2 clinic visits necessary, but maybe 2 injections at each visit,  depending on the injection technique used).

After being bitten or otherwise exposed (e.g. by licking on a wound), they are given 3 (if intradermal injections) or 4 (if intramuscular  injections) times if you haven't been vaccinated before (in this case you should also get immune globulin)

If you have been vaccinated before, only 2 times. 

That sums it up very well.

Post can be 3 times,  see above (TRC-ID)

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.

Can be 5 times too, there are lots of variables with both pre and post. I was only generalising due to laziness on my part

Edited by LosLobo

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Is that a responsible situation to be in? 60 CATS is ridiculous.

Bit of an irresponsible assumption.

My wife and her sister have been running a voluntary sanctuary for unwanted cats since she retired in 2014. The cats are housed in large walkin cages in the garden, think about 17 cages at the moment. Most of the cats have come to us from neighbours who were going to get rid of them at birth. All the cats are taken to the vets to be inoculated and neutered.

They also take in dogs but only if the dog is in need of medical attention, about a dozen at the moment. Again all dogs are taken to the vets.

The rabies mobile unit were aware and would always call to give the animals a booster.

30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Bit of an irresponsible assumption.

My wife and her sister have been running a voluntary sanctuary for unwanted cats since she retired in 2014. The cats are housed in large walkin cages in the garden, think about 17 cages at the moment. Most of the cats have come to us from neighbours who were going to get rid of them at birth. All the cats are taken to the vets to be inoculated and neutered.

They also take in dogs but only if the dog is in need of medical attention, about a dozen at the moment. Again all dogs are taken to the vets.

The rabies mobile unit were aware and would always call to give the animals a booster.

I appreciate your kindness and love for the cats, and dogs, but if neighbours don't want them, get rid.

Only takes one bite to your wife and does not realise, and you will be a Widower.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 12:49 AM, JensenZ said:

This is absurd. Instead of taking care of the thousands of Soi dogs living wild in every street in the province, just push for an adequate vaccination supply for when people get bitten and infected. Never mind the source.

They supplied no data to prove a "surge", just 3 deaths. How many people had been infected and then vaccinated would be more useful information and evidence of a "surge".

Maybe they are suggesting an extensive rabies vaccination program for the entire population.

Their whimsy isn't justified.

For more reasoned and logical to find/destroy the source and spreader. 

Would be well served for the respected communities to project a cleansing program to have the thousands of feral dogs that run rampant throughout the provinces - rural and urban - put down. 

Just for the sake of general hygiene and safety, if anything.