In reality, Thailand is not the LGBTQ+ paradise like it pretends to be

webfact

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"equality", that stupid word again.

Why is it so difficult to understand for some people that chromosome xy is not chromosome xx?

Obviously some people can pretend to be the opposite of what they are. But that doesn't mean that is reality.

As far as I am concerned you can identify as anything you want. But please don't try to tell children that your world view is correct. It's your view. You can think the world is flat or it is a globe. But please don't tell children the world is flat. 

What are you talking about? I was referring to the gains in gay rights and you start talking about gender issues, something I generally avoid as I'm not fully up to speed on all the issues. 

For your information all I identify as is a gay man and I have never spoken to any child about LGBT issues so why bring that up? 

And I don't think equality is stupid but you're welcome to believe that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem in Thailand, everyone is bullied and discriminated for being dam dam, fat, women who work in surtain areas being to old (35), single mothers, or stands out in some way, and they get nick names to remind them every day. If you are pretty no matter ladyboy, gay or whatever sexual preferences, and meet the standards set by opinion you can cruise through life. 

As long you fake it to you make it, anything is possible

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There is bullying in schools for all kinds of reasons, being fat, short, mixed race etc. Kids can be cruel. Stop trying to make gays the victims all the time, it's getting old.

So are hetero cisgender kids bullied for being hetero cisgender?

At least you admit queer kids are bullied here.

Refreshing in the face of so much denial. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I think Thailand is ahead of most Western countries in many ways.  The main thing is acceptance and the realization on both sides that it exists and is part of society.  

There are still hurdles but over all the stigmas and crap that happens or happened in the Western world have passed Thailand by.

Kaitoey's are accepted and working in many areas of main stream Thailand. 

The Kaitoey life still and clubs/bars are more prevalent.

However, as we all know there are many things about the way Thailand as a country has operated that need to be addressed properly in a democratic means.  

Equality for 3rd gender people for a legal form of marriage or legal status as a couple is just one of the things along with 

Better education

end of corruption

legalization of prostitution

The Mary Jane question

minimum wage

and a host of other things that have to be looked at in order of priority.

But the worst thing that could happen is for Thai 3rd gender to start acting like those in the west.

Before heiling too much for Thailand and their acceptance of unatural people, you should take note that...

Sure Thai is good in accepting different stuff within this... BUT only as long as it does NOT hit their own family, THEN IT IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MESS..... Acceptance and tolerance has it´s borders.......

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Don't put words in my mouth. I said kids get bullied at school for all kinds of reasons, not just for being queer. I would like to see evidence that gays get bullied at school in Thailand more than anyone else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

No wonder kids get confused about their so called "sexual Identity" when you keep throwing out meaningless/confusing words or phrases such as "hetero cisgender kids"!

I don't understand the phrase, so what chance does a kid have. (yes I have looked it up and am no better informed!)

They are schoolkids, boys and girls.

After the reach puberty AND maturity it might be time to start throwing your agenda and phrases around them!

I'm not throwing anything at kids. Stop lying. I'm posting on an expat forum.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

No wonder kids get confused about their so called "sexual Identity" when you keep throwing out meaningless/confusing words or phrases such as "hetero cisgender kids"!

I don't understand the phrase, so what chance does a kid have. (yes I have looked it up and am no better informed!)

They are schoolkids, boys and girls.

After the reach puberty AND maturity it might be time to start throwing your agenda and phrases around them!

Well said!!!!!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Are you seriously concerned that everyone will be gay? Does being gay sound that attractive?

I think many straight men, including me, have had a fear about being gay or bisexual, especially when young, due to what society taught us. You'll know more than me but I think every males is bisexual to some degree. 

I recently met an old friend, after 30 years. He came out 29 years ago, aged 28 and it was interesting hearing his story. Also sad, he went through a lot, not wanting to come out as he was ashamed and scared of what his friends would say. He was a guy who was incredibly good looking and got all the girls. Lovely to rekindle that friendship. 

I think differently about LGBQT to gay. I don't think they should be lumped together.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

June is when we celebrate Pride Month worldwide, and of course, many businesses change their profile photos to be rainbows for a month. Some brands would launch a new product serving in all rainbow colours. We’d talk about LGBTQ+ for a bit and once June has passed, everything goes back to normal like Pride Month was just one of those marketing campaigns Lazada does once a month for their 3.3, 4.4, 5.5, 6.6, and so on.

Do they really expect to be centre of attention all year round?  They want people waving rainbow flags and talking about LGBT people all day every day?

So much for only wanting equality...

In reality, Thailand is not the LGBTQ+ paradise like it pretends to be

Even in an article making this claim, they don't put much of a case forward.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Any bullying is not accapted,  but unfortunate bullying is common in Thailand on every aspect of life. 

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Do they really expect to be centre of attention all year round?  They want people waving rainbow flags and talking about LGBT people all day every day?

So much for only wanting equality...

Even in an article making this claim, they don't put much of a case forward.

There's that hostility again.

Of course only equality is desired all year.

Pride Months exists because equality exists almost nowhere.

I just posted another item showing that Thailand is NOT an LGBT paradise.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Any bullying is not accapted,  but unfortunate bullying is common in Thailand on every aspect of life. 

I do not believe that non-queer kids are bullied for not being queer. Is that so hard to understand? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There's that hostility again.

Of course only equality is desired all year.

Pride Months exists because equality exists almost nowhere.

I just posted another item showing that Thailand is NOT an LGBT paradise.

Why don't we have "Straight Months"?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Thanks for the sensible response. It's a welcome change from the lazy insults from other less thoughtful posters.

So it would appear that LGBT paradise is difficult to define. Which was clearly the point I was making.

Others would disagree with you and want more or less rights on each point. An interesting debate on what the end goal of the LGBT "community" actually wants (if such a community really exists, but that's another debate).

Douglas Murray for example is a gay man who would probably not want the rights I suggested others might and certainly wouldn't call it paradise. Now, there's one gay man I could really get behind (if you'll excuse the pun).

I wouldn't place too much store what Douglas Murray says. He has some pretty strange views on heterosexual men as well as LGBT. And he often sounds confused to me. Probably because he just wants to take digs at the left.

The gay community is not a club, it doesn't require membership and has no leader. It's an umbrella term to describe certain groups of people, however many or few.  Within that framework there are various support groups, activist groups and clubs etc. with varying views and diverse interests. Murray isn't stupid, he knows this but is happy to play the Conservative card for cash.  

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is an article specifically about bullying of LGBT kids in Thailand in a non-approved source. In response to the member who incredulously suggests that doesn't happen here.

Again, putting words in my mouth. I said, I would like to see evidence that gays are bullied at school in Thailand any more than anyone else. Never said it doesn't happen.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I do not believe that non-queer kids are bullied for not being queer. Is that so hard to understand? 

is it hard to understand that anyone can be bullied in Thailand because of their family members social status or being? There is not only one group or one thing that make you bullied in Thailand, or anyplace in the world. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1