Man Suffers Electric Shock While Washing His Car and Charging Car Battery in Pattaya

snoop1130

160504-696x373.jpg

A Thai man suffered an electric shock and blacked out while simultaneously washing his vehicle and charging his car battery in Pattaya yesterday, June 11st.

A rescue team from the Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Foundation received a report of a person being injured by an electric shock in Soi Sukhumvit 33, Pattaya, at 6 PM yesterday. They promptly rushed to the scene with a medical team from Banglamung Hospital.

The injured individual, Mr. Amnuay Nopchaem, was found unconscious after suffering a severe electric shock. The medical personnel performed CPR to revive him and they then transferred him to a local hospital for emergency treatment.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/06/12/man-suffers-electric-shock-while-washing-his-car-and-charging-car-battery-in-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-06-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Not dissimilar to the occurrences of people sparking a cigarette lighter for some reason while filling their car with petrol and causing an explosion.  Unfortunate that he didn't see the risk of mixing water and electricity.  Hopefully this won't be a common thing.

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Not dissimilar to the occurrences of people sparking a cigarette lighter for some reason while filling their car with petrol and causing an explosion.  Unfortunate that he didn't see the risk of mixing water and electricity.  Hopefully this won't be a common thing.

One tends to miss those connections/consequences.........when stoned.

I learned that a long time ago, thinking it would be "interesting" to check the strength of my plug spark.......while draining the fuel from the bikes tank!!

????

Edited by Enoon
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

when i was traveling in pakistan by minibus and bus, and stopping to fill up with fuel the driver and various passengers would get out and hang around having a smoke. on one occasion there was welding being done on the gas station roof and sparks flying everywhere. tense times.

13 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

There was also incidents with static from the car to the fuel nozzle sparking. This is also similar to people getting shocked when falling asleep with their phones and the charger plugged into the mains. The car battery charger output is only 14-16 VDC, but it gets plugged into the mains and sometimes balanced on the air-filter or where-ever, maybe with a dodgy Thai style mains extension attached. 

Edited by jacko45k

Direct Quote from the bible, book of pat's ,ex or otherwise. 

All ye who hath never done anything live threatening stupideth  cast the first stone. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Hopefully this won't be a common thing.

Wait until the rains eventually come, how many electrocutions will there be this year when unsuspecting people touch something that's hot wired in public.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Not dissimilar to the occurrences of people sparking a cigarette lighter for some reason while filling their car with petrol

I completely misread this story as an EV related incident, but if you read the article you can see it is simply "Thai" related with an idiot using a battered old charger on his 12V ICE minivan in a watery environment.

Charger with metal housing. Rotten wire getting connected to housing?. Very likely no earth/ground connection at plug/socket and extremely likely no ELCB which would have saved him from the worst.

Not much to do with water on the ground.

Many older houses have two wire electric only. 

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Smaller New houses have 2 wires only. 

2 wire.... single phase 

4 wire....... three phase 

That was a misunderstanding.

Sure most private houses are single phase.

What I mean is the lack of ground/earth (3rd wire) in many older houses.

2 pin plugs/sockets.

Modern devices with 3 pin plugs connected via adapters etc 

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That was a misunderstanding.

Sure most private houses are single phase.

What I mean is the lack of ground/earth (3rd wire) in many older houses.

2 pin plugs/sockets.

Modern devices with 3 pin plugs connected via adapters etc 

????

Teecha Andee told us in school that electricity is not passing through water. the water says teecha Andee is non-conductive, unless there's certain amount of salt dissolved. And that certain amount is not just a drops of sweat in a bucket.

I think that was at Matayom 1.

That makes that story incomplete.

Probably his GF electrocuted him from behind and ran away to make it look like an accident. Or his BF.

This is Thailand, honey ) 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Enoon said:

One tends to miss those connections/consequences.........when stoned.

I learned that a long time ago, thinking it would be "interesting" to check the strength of my plug spark.......while draining the fuel from the bikes tank!!

????

Due to the unprecedented amount of confusion and sadness generated by my post, I feel compelled to state that the burning of my motorcycle occurred as a result of me being "out of it", having previously partaken in a rather large spliff, offered to me when I was visited by my best friend and his user GF, which happened pretty much daily.....smoked a fair bit back then.

The fire brigade were not too happy.  2 weeks previously they had been called to my cottage to attend an incident involving an oven full of burning baked potatoes......that had been "forgotten".......it was my brother who was stoned on that occasion!

On a not so light note.......the GF and her siblings (except for the one brother who rose to senior level in the Brig of Guards) were very heavily into the dope.  A few years later she became an epileptic (thus she felt compelled to stop riding her V50 Guzzi) while one of her two other brothers (the heaviest user) developed schizophrenia and finished his life jumping from an upper storey.

All told, sufficient evidence for me to finish with the stuff back then.

Hey.......didn't somebody say that it's recently become legal, and very widely available, in Thailand?

Edited by Enoon

21 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Smaller New houses have 2 wires only. 

2 wire.... single phase 

4 wire....... three phase 

I would say most houses get a single phase supply, mine is and would not be categorized as small. 

(Although my neighbor often says he has 3 phase, as there are 4 cables on his meter,,, 2 in 2 out I tell him!)

Edited by jacko45k